All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: I finally had my appt. with the GI doctor...long post new
      #102182 - 08/28/04 10:05 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Sorry you had such a bad experience with the doc. Sometimes doctors seem to just make things worse. I wish medical schools did a better job of working on bedside manner! I've left many a doctor appointment in tears because the doctor was so insensitive. I would definitely find another GI doc before you go forward.

However, getting a colonoscopy to rule out Crohn's and other IBD is a good idea. The colonoscopy is really not that bad. I just recently had one, and I was really relieved afterward to find out that I didn't have any kind of IBD. My doctor had told me he thought I had Crohn's, and that was my worst nightmare too. The pre-colonoscopy cleansing process isn't fun, but you can do things to make it easier. You're knocked out for the test itself, so that's not so bad. I think that the chance of the instrument causing a tear is pretty slim--they just have to inform you of all of those possibilities in advance.

Also, from the little bit you mentioned about your symptoms, I'm wondering if you've been tested for celiac disease (a form of gluten intolerance). It may be helpful for you to have those tests as well (blood tests). But you need to make sure you go to a doctor that really understands celiac disease--many GI docs don't.

Best of luck figuring things out. I know it's a frustrating struggle.

Judithg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

P.S. new
      #102184 - 08/28/04 10:10 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

There's a really good post on how to prep for a colonoscopy over on the Crohn's and Colitis board. I think it's pinned at the beginning of the board. Anyone who has to have a colonoscopy should check it out--helped me a lot!

#102191 - 08/28/04 11:07 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Ok, what's this guys name??? We are all gonna go over and beat him up for the way he treated you
Please tell me why ANY doctor would tell you that it's a horrible and painful test? Sounds to me he must not get good reimbursement from insurance or something and he doesn't want to do in on you for that reason! Ughhhh. I've been in the medical field for too long. It's starting to urk me more and more!
It's normal to be scared about the colonoscopy. I'll be the first to say I don't want another one for a long time. The prep was bad and the pocedure...didn't feel a thing. As with any kind of surgery or procedure you have to sign stuff that if they screw up, they are not responsible. It's BS! They are just simply covering their butts!
I hope all the posts have calmed you a bit. Good luck with the new doctor. I too, switched GI's from the original guy who did my colonoscopy. He had no bed side manners! In our state a lot of our practices have several docs in the office so I switched to another one in the same office and told him the reason I switched and I hope the word was passed on to him!
Take care.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

find another MD new
      #102193 - 08/28/04 11:54 AM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

First of all- the colonoscopy is not a terrible procedure- the preperation is a little difficult..secondly- he needs to be re-educated....Don't waste your time....he's a loser!!!
The last thing you want with IBS is someone who lacks sympathy or empathy. Many MD's still think this is "all in our heads."

#102310 - 08/29/04 09:23 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi Judith,

yes, I have been tested for Celiac and it came back negative. I am going to switch doctors for sure and do want to know if I have Crohns or not. It is my worse nightmare because it often involves having surgery and can flare up pretty bad where I could have to go in the hospital. I'd much rather IBS.

Anyhow, thanks for your reply and I'll have to meet with a new doc bfore going ahead.

Re: To Kimm new
      #102566 - 08/30/04 10:00 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

*LOL* you're funny.

Glad I could ease your mind a little bit....I'm sure you'll do just fine...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11997

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review