All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Thank you all from the bottom of my heart... new
      #101391 - 08/25/04 05:10 PM
debaver

Reged: 06/27/04

Well, I'd switch GI docs. A colonscopy is truly no big deal. The worst part of it is the prep. And that's yucky, but not painfu. You're out of it when you have the colonscopy. Oddly enough, the sigmoidoscopy (which is technically less invasive) hurts more, because they give you fewer drugs. I'd get a doc who does the procedure well, and rest assured that if you do have Chrohns or ulcerative colitis, you want to know asap, so you can treat it, and if you don't, then you can move on. Steroids are just one option with these inflammatory bowel diseases, so don't assume the worst. Chrohns and ulcerative colitis are a more serious diagnosis, to be sure, that IBS, but that just means you need to be vigilant and on top of things. A good doctor will help. Sorry the doc was such a jerk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I finally had my appt. with the GI doctor...long post new
      #101396 - 08/25/04 05:32 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Like all who have sent you best wishes, let me add mine..
I am a nurse, and I have seen many colonoscopies--the patients have seemed comfortable and not in the "excessive pain" category your stupid MD described...the prep however is not fun ( I can't keep the stuff down, so I have not had one yet), but if you can do that part, you should not have a real problem with the test..a girlfriend of mine just had one and she did not complain about the test--just the prep--so take heart and give yourself a hug--we are with you!!!

#101428 - 08/25/04 07:52 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

It'll be ok! I echo everyone else in that the colonoscopy can't be THAT bad. I never had one done, but anyone I know that has says that the prep is by far the worst part, the procedure itself is a piece of cake.
That doctor did have some good points, but he had NO reason to be such a jerk. I really can't stand doctors. It makes you wonder how miserable they must all be, if they are such jerks all the time and obviouslyhate thier jobs.
It's nice to hear that you were recomended a new doc, I wouldn't go back to that guy! It's a shame that doctors don't have to treat their patients like customers, because when it comes down to it, that's what we are!
Good luck girlfriend- and i hope your procedure goes smoothly when you do have it done.

--------------------
-Sheri

#101478 - 08/26/04 06:29 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there....sorry to hear that your appointment was so crappy!!

It sounds like you should go see another doctor before you make any decisions like that. This guys doesn't sound like he knows too much....

It's funny that he said he hadn't prescribed Dicetel or Modulon in over a decade because these drugs have only been available a few years.

I would definately get another opinion.

Try to cheer up...I know it's hard but the more stressed you get the worse you're gonna feel and that's just no good!! You are on your way to finding out exactly what is going on....you won't feel like this forever....you just gotta push through this tough spell right now....and we're all here for you!! *BIG HUGS*

To Kimm new
      #101646 - 08/26/04 01:14 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Kimm, I was wondering if you every had to have a colonsocopy? I have heard conflicting things from people in Ontario not getting sedated while having them? Yikes!

Would you happne to know. And yes, I will be asking to see another doctor.

To LauraSue new
      #101648 - 08/26/04 01:17 PM
Sara-Sage

I just wanted to let you know that your post me me laugh - the part about having some tea and something sweet to eat. I did just that and it helped a bit. You always give good advice!

Thanks! :grin:

Re: To LauraSue new
      #101747 - 08/26/04 05:00 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Cool!! Thanks, hon!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: To Kimm new
      #101927 - 08/27/04 10:34 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I haven't had to have a colonoscopy yet but I'm due for one soon because my aunt has FAP (it's where you get polyps on your intestines and they need to be removed)...so I have to have one before I turn 25 (so in the next year).

My GI says that because I've had the symptoms of IBS for over 10 years that I don't need one just yet because if it were anything more serious then I'd be very very sick by now...and the meds seem to be working for me and I'm not getting any worse....

BUT my aunt has had a couple of them and she says they're really not bad at all. YES they put you out for it!!! She said the prep is the worst cuz you're stuck on the toilet for a while but she said that they put you out and you wake up and you wouldn't even know you've had one. I'm sure you'll do just fine....I'll keep you in my prayers....

Re: To Kimm new
      #102016 - 08/27/04 02:54 PM
Sara-Sage

Oh, that makes me feel so much better!

I had this terrible thought that Canada mwas sadictic and didn't sedate their colonsocopy patients. Thanks, what a relief!

To Kelly new
      #102121 - 08/28/04 05:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Hi. I just wrote back to your reply on the colonoscopy and realized that you wrote back to this post too but I didn't respond. I'm always particularily interested in fellow Canadians responses as we have some of the ame issues to deal with.

Yes, I did have to wait for months for my appointment only to have a lousy doctor.

As for your question about the meds. Neither one of them has helped me at all. But I am almost out of the Modulon and the doctor said to not renew the prescription and wait for a few days to see if I feel and worse, or any better. If I feel way worse than I should go on it again but he doubts I'll notice anything.

Anyhow, thanks for your advice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review