All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: I finally had my appt. with the GI doctor...long post new
      #100920 - 08/24/04 10:24 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. However, I have had one very similar that turned out very good. My doctor was also very uncompassionate, in a hurry, ect...but he ordered tests in a very methodical manner to rule out the really bad stuff. I was also having non-typical IBS pain and symptoms, but muddled through everything from barium studies, upper GI studies and, finally a colonoscopy and endoscopic small bowel biopsy (scoped from both ends). The prep is the worst part by far, and you won't remember anything they actually do to you during a "scope" procedure!

The good news is that it ruled out the nasty stuff, and when, after more than 2 months I finally talked to the man face to face, he actually knew what he was talking about! He didn't want to order drastic life changes or meds until he knew what he was dealing with!

In a nutshell, have the tests. If it is Chron's or something else, your best thing is to know it and start treating it immediately. Sorry for the bad experience. But you truly are not alone, and I bet your tests will give you the answers you need! Hang in there!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#100924 - 08/24/04 10:27 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I am sorry to hear this, a doctor who doesn't listen and isn't compassionate isn't a good thing- I second or third seeing a new doctor.. but the tests he is talking about need to be run... IBD needs to be treated asap to protect you! as it gets worse without treatment..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#100931 - 08/24/04 10:39 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

This dr. sounds like a real idot! I have had doctors like that too. I would go through with the colonscopy (most dr. want this done to rule out other things) after you get your results, I would switch doctor's a.s.a.p. if I were you! He is totally unsympathetic and it sounds like he is miserable and tired of his job, he is way to nasty. What an a**! Good luck with everything!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#100933 - 08/24/04 10:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh my god! What an a**ehole!

The only things I'd agree with are soluble fibre is good and a clonoscopy is neccessary to check for IBDs. If it wasn't for the wait, I'd say get another doc before you have the colonoscopy! You shouldn't feel a thing during the procedure and only have some gas problems afterwards (a bit sore but it goes), so I'd worry about any doc who says people always have pain - sounds like he's doing somehting wrong! The idiot!!!! The prep is pretty horrible, but read Jill Sklar's notes on it and you'll be fine - being ready is the key (I wasn't! ).

Chin up chuck! We'll get ya through this. Wish you could fly over here and see my doc. He's a darling!

#100955 - 08/24/04 11:28 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

How horrible! I feel so badly for you. You've gotten some good advice from everyone who has answered your post so far. I would agree with LauraSue...try to take it easy today; don't make any heavy decisions and DEFINETELY go thru with the tests. Know what tests you want to have and then demand them. Remember it's your body, not the doc's. My thoughts and prayers are with you...
Janene

#100966 - 08/24/04 12:00 PM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I can't really say anything else that hasn't been said on this thread - but take care and remember there are some good doctors out there who actually give a damm about how you feel. Be confident that through this site you probably are a lot more informed than a lot of people so you can kick that doctors ass if he starts talking rubbish. I'm sure the tests will be fine - you'll probably feel worse if you just wait and worry. Us IBSers are tough chicks and I'm sure everyone here will give you as much support and advice as they can.

Look after yourself - at least you are doing something about the situation, which puts you in control, not your stomach.

Best of luck, Catherine

Gosh, I thought I saw a bad GI doc!!! new
      #101034 - 08/24/04 02:53 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

This one sounds like the worst! I'd forget I'd ever gone to see him. He's rude, he's arrogant and he doesn't know what he's talking about.
I do think you need to be tested to see what's going on, but not with this doctor. Ask around (friends, coworkers, nurses, etc.) until you find the name of a good doctor and start all over.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but heck, if you had that bad of an experience the first time you went to see him, I don't think you should stick with him and go back.

Life's too short to have a bad doctor!!! That's my new motto!!!

Good luck in getting tested. Hope you feel better soon. And don't let this doctor get you down!

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart... new
      #101050 - 08/24/04 04:31 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

for everyone's support and encouragement. I can't believe how many people wrote such long and thoughtful replies. I especially like all those who had nasty thoughts for the doctor.

After a VERY tough day, it made me feel better reading all your well wishes and suggestions. You guys are all awesome and I can't thank you guys enough.

I'm defintely NOT going back to him and am going to ask to see another GI doctor as he was Satan himself. I know I should have the colonoscopy but I have to mentally get myself ready for that as it seems very, very scary right now.

Thanks again everyone so much. If it does turn out to be Crohn's then there's nothing I can do but treat that and try to keep smiling and not get so discouraged.

Re: Thank you all from the bottom of my heart... new
      #101063 - 08/24/04 05:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I am SO glad you're going to see a different GI doctor. It used to drive me absolutely crazy, when I worked at a hospital, to see patients "stuck" with arrogant a**wipes masquerading as doctors, just because they wouldn't take the initiative to see a different doctor. Good for you. Nobody deserves to be treated like that.

Except maybe THAT DOCTOR. A**hat. Heh.

To Casey new
      #101301 - 08/25/04 01:33 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh god, I will NEVER go back and see that arrogant jerk off! Ha!

I have two friends in town that have recommended other GI doctor's who are supposed to be very nice. I think I'll send the doctor a note after I see the new GI with pointers on how he SHOULD act towards his patients.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review