Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
peanut butter jelly time!
      #346392 - 05/26/09 01:32 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

Okay, question:

I'm totally confused on the issue of peanut butter. I've read where some people can eat it, and some people can't eat it. I'll confess right now that I loves me some peanut butter, and a PB&J sammie is one of life's greatest pleasures...or was, until I went on the IBS eating plan. Since I started back in April, I haven't had any PB, because I'm just so confused about it.

For one, we're supposed to avoid foods high in fat, but most PB is very high in fat. There's the whole issue of the peanuts to start with. And then there's the whole range of varieties...regular, chunky, super chunky, with honey, with chocolate, natural, organic, stir, don't stir, and even soy butter...what in the world?!? I are confused!

So can we eat peanut butter? What should I be looking for on the labels? Are there any ingredients (besides HFCS, which I don't think most PB has) I should totally avoid? I know, I should just try it and see, but I don't want to eat something that could possibly trigger an attack.

Help!

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peanut butter jelly time! new
      #346394 - 05/26/09 01:40 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

HEY! I love PB&Js too!! I don't give up my peanut butter. I have some at least once a week.

I eat the all natural peanut butter. (ingredients say peanuts and salt) You have to stir and put in fridge. It's so good!

Start out small. Try a teaspoon or even half a teaspoon and then try a little more a couple of days later until you figure out your "threshold" so to speak. If you eat a good SF base with it, you shouldn't have too many problems. People with "C" need a little more fat, so if you are, then you should go for it. (Baby steps though)

Remember, with the jellies, check the labels very well for artifical sweeteners/flavors/colors, etc. and for HFCS... these all can be very gaseous and painful!

HTH

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#346401 - 05/26/09 06:36 PM
fairleas

Peanut buttah jelly time!

I bought some fruit spread this past week (strawberry, all fruit and fruit juice, no HFCS or artificial stuff) and I seem to be doing okay with that by itself on bread. I'd love to have some grape, though...so far it's been very difficult to find grape anything without HFCS.

I guess it is confusing because I'm finding out that there are different shades of IF...some are harder on your system than others. So I wanted to check before I did anything...I'm doing fairly well, I don't want to put myself back at square one! I have IBS-D so I really have to watch my fats.

I like to put some on a regular-sized rice cake and top with either jelly or some bananas. I guess that would be a good SF base, or some fresh white bread.

Yum!

--------------------
my blog

#346410 - 05/27/09 06:27 AM
Kappy

Mmmmm. The rice cake with pb and jelly/bananas sounds great! That is a pretty good SF base.

I'm glad you are doing well! Progress is always great! Just be careful in experimenting with the PB, I don't want you to be set back either!

Let me know how it goes!

HUGS

Kappy

--------------------

#346411 - 05/27/09 06:30 AM
fairleas

Thanks...I don't want to set myself back either! I guess that's why I ask so many questions about other people's experiences with certain things.

I can't experiment right now, anyway...my son ate all the peanut butter.

--------------------
my blog

#346412 - 05/27/09 06:33 AM
Kappy

Ask away! That is what this website is for, and asking is the only way to learn!

Pooo.... no more peanut butter!

--------------------

oooooooh...bad idea. new
      #346494 - 05/28/09 11:01 PM
fairleas

I bought some Skippy Naturals peanut butter, thinking that without all the extra added junk it might be better for me. I had what amounted to a tablespoon on a few honey graham animal crackers (about the size of regular animal crackers, so you get the idea of how small an amount I ingested).

Ten minutes later, cramps like I haven't had in forever hit me and I spent most of the rest of the night camped out in the bathroom. Stinkin' gastrocolic reflex. I got a little sleep but woke up with heartburn and acid reflux. My husband finally came home with antacids, and I took those, but had to self-medicate with Fibercon until supper. All day I was in and out of the bathroom, although it was mostly cramping. I did finally gt hungry about noonish but I restricted myself to a few slices of fresh bread and a banana until about 7PM last night.

The other stuff I ate has not given me problems, so I'm pretty sure it was the PB. I'll give it a while before I try it again. I've seen some PB that is just peanuts and salt, so maybe I'll give that a try. Or perhaps try soy butter. Or give up PB altogether............oh sad day.

--------------------
my blog

OH NO!!!!!
      #346503 - 05/29/09 06:47 AM
Kappy

Oh I'm so sorry! Maybe you should have tried just a 1/2 tspn to begin with. What are all the ingredients in the graham crackers too? The honey is high in fructose and can cause problems for some. You might want to check for HFCS and other additives to the crackers to see if something in them might have triggered it. I'm sure the peanut butter contributed as well! But just check!

Poor thing, take care of yourself for the next few days to get back on your feet again!

HUGS!!

--------------------

Re: OH NO!!!!! new
      #346517 - 05/29/09 01:36 PM
fairleas

I actually feel MUCH better today. Whatever it was, it must have all got out of my system.

I just double-checked the ingredients on the animal crackers (one of the reasons I bought them was their lack of HFCS) and it said "natural and artificial flavor (contains milk)", but it was the next to last ingredient. Just to be safe, I'll stay away from them. But I've eaten them before and they never affected me like that!

I've been trying as much as possible to stay away from HFCS, although I never realized just how many foods have that as an ingredient.

I'm seriously wanting that peanut butter...but I do NOT want another attack like the one I had. So, for now, I'm leaving the PB jar alone.

--------------------
my blog

Re: OH NO!!!!! new
      #346520 - 05/29/09 02:08 PM
Kappy

I'm glad you feel better!

Those HFCS are in EVERYTHING!!! I know!!! It's stupid and ridiculous! They are just unhealthy for everyone not just IBSers, ya know?

Try having just a little bitty taste to get the craving out of you! I don't want to give you bad advice though, so you might want to stay away for a little while, and maybe in a couple of weeks, you can try a little again!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17372

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review