All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Everyday Italian
      #312091 - 07/27/07 08:51 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

This is probably a really stupid question so brace yourselves. (Actually, if I don't ask, I don't learn, right? )

I'm a HUGE fan of Giada De Laurentiis' Everyday Italian show and I've made tons of her dishes and they are GOOD. With some of her dishes I have to chew a couple of TUMS because of my Acid Reflux. No problem there.

Has anyone figured out what, if any, can be substituted to replace the diary or tomato ingredients.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Everyday Italian new
      #312115 - 07/27/07 03:10 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

Dairy can be replaced by soy substitutes - do a search for soy substitutes on the boards.
as for the tomato - I don't know

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#312127 - 07/27/07 07:02 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

For dairy, it depends on the ingredient and the recipe. If she's making a recipe where cheese is grated over it at the end, I'd suggest just trying the recipe without it. If the cheese is melted in, you can try one of the non-dairy substitutes. There are soy cheeses, rice cheeses, and almond cheeses. Some people like them fine, other people can't stand them. Keep your eyes open for Lisanatti brand cheese substitutes. I have trouble finding it but the one time I did (at Trader Joes) I thought it was the best one I've tried. Soya Kaas seems to be more widely available and it's okay.

You should be aware that a lot of the cheese substitutes contain casein to help them melt. This is a dairy protein derivative. A lot people on the Boards can tolerate it in small amounts in something like fake cheese but you might want to go cautiously - or avoid it altogether - until you're stable. There are also vegan cheeses. I've never tried it but my vegan friends like the Follow Your Heart brand.

I've watched Giada De Laurentiis make a number of recipes that use mascarpone cheese and for that I'd suggest substituting Cool Whip Light if it's a topping on a sweet dish and try substituting soy sour cream if it's part of a savory dish. Watch your fat levels if you use the soy sour cream. It's very easy to end up with a fat percent in the stratosphere.

For milk there are soy, rice, almond, and oat substitutes. For cream, Silk makes a soy creamer. I've never used it but someday...

If you check the Recipe Index there's a section on Dairy Substitutes that might give you some ideas.

As for tomatoes, there is a mock tomato sauce recipe on the Boards. I've never tried it but you can find it here: web page

Finally, sadly, there are some dishes that just don't lend themselves to substitution either because there just aren't any good substitutes or because you'd end up substituting something for everything in the dish. Watching her make those always reminds of that quote from Rita Rudner:

Quote:

I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and think, "Well, that's not going to happen."

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#312131 - 07/27/07 08:23 PM
BendeeWendee

Sand, thanks! Luckily for me, I work in downtown Manhattan and I have the health food store Bell Bates a couple of blocks away. I'm sure I'll be able to find a bunch of grocery items there.

And yes, since my IBS diagnosis, I've echoed Rita Rudner.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Mascarpone new
      #313395 - 08/16/07 05:07 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I suggested using soy sour cream as a substitute for mascarpone cheese but a recent 30 Minute Meals episode suggested using cream cheese (we'd use soy) possibly thinned with a little milk (again, soy or rice).

I also found this page which lists some alternatives to mascarpone:

web page

Go down about 5 screens to see some suggestions. Again just watch your fat levels.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Mascarpone new
      #313409 - 08/16/07 10:11 PM
BendeeWendee

Thanks Sand!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3561

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review