Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for Heather about calculating fat
      #306137 - 04/29/07 11:05 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi Heather,

I was just wondering the best way to determine how much fat a food has. Should I divide the fat calories by the total calories to see how many are from fat? Or should I divide the grams of fat by the total amount of grams in one serving of the food? In case you can't tell, math was never my strong suit Thanks so much!

Julie
IBS-D

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Heather about calculating fat new
      #306139 - 04/29/07 11:27 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Heather says you should keep the amount of fat below 25 energy percent I believe. That means that you divide the number of calories from fat with the total number of calories. If your labels are like the ones we have over here though, typically the amount of fat, protein et.c. is listed as grams per 100 grams or some other weight unit. Then you're typically given the total amount of calories per say 100 grams.

The amount of calories from one gram of fat is about 9. So assume you have something with 4 grams of fat and a total of 150 kcal per 100 grams. You then get a fat percent of 100*9*4/150 = 24. (The factor 100 is just to get the decimal point right.)

You should also be careful with the total amount of fat though I think. So this means that you should be careful with eating things with many grams of fat even if the fat percent is ok. Although this is usually taken care of automatically on this diet since you're not supposed to eat huge portions of food.

Hope that helps and that I didn't make you more confused.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 982

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review