All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bread machine
      #302711 - 03/21/07 07:23 AM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

Am I missing out not having one? I figured most breads could be baked in the oven but most of the recipes I find call for a machine.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bread machine new
      #302718 - 03/21/07 08:49 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't have a bread machine. It may be different for people on the Boards because we tend to eat a lot of bread but most of the people I know who've bought them use them a lot the first 2-3 months then put them in a cabinet somewhere and never use them again.

I'm not sure if you're saying you're finding mostly machine recipes on this Board or elsewhere or both. There are a lot of bread machine recipes floating around because not very many people are willing to make bread "by hand" these days. I think it's because most of us don't want to do all that kneading. On the other hand, I got into a discussion about bread-making with a group of women a month or so ago and the ones who regularly made bread by hand said kneading was a great outlet when they were irritated at their spouse or children.

You can find yeast bread recipes that don't require a bread machine - there are a couple in Heather's EFI Cookbook; you could check the bread recipes at sites like AllRecipes (look down the left-hand side for "Yeast Breads" and "Sourdough"; or you could just Google bread recipes.

If you check the Recipe Index under "Bread" you'll see some white breads, sourdough, portugese rolls, and so on. I posted a very good basic white bread recipe that doesn't require any kneading: No-Knead Bread. And Jen1013 has posted an easy quick homemade white bread recipe. I'd give either or both of these a try and if they seem like too much work then a bread machine may be for you. (And remember if you do end up being one of those people who uses it for a while then hides it in a cabinet, you can always sell it on CraigsList. )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#302721 - 03/21/07 09:10 AM
karl

Thanks for your reply Sand, yes I was referring to other sites, particularly allrecipes. I wanted to filter out the bread machine recipes so thank you (I didn't realize 'yeast breads' would accomplish that ), I am still fairly new to cooking and baking lol.

Thanks for the links I must have missed those when I scanned through the bread recipes here.

Maybe you could help me with something else... I want to try a recipe but here is the first step...
Quote:

# In a small bowl if using a bread machine, or in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix a 1/3 cup of the warm water (105-115 degrees) with the yeast and let stand until foamy.

Is there any way make this without a bread machine or a standing mixer with dough hook. I do have a handheld electric mixer.

#302724 - 03/21/07 11:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Thanks for your reply Sand, yes I was referring to other sites, particularly allrecipes. I wanted to filter out the bread machine recipes so thank you (I didn't realize 'yeast breads' would accomplish that ), I am still fairly new to cooking and baking lol.

Well, now it's my turn to blush because I scanned through the Yeast Breads on AllRecipes after I posted and it looks like they *are* including at least some Bread Machine recipes in there. It seems illogical to me - they have a category for "Bread Machine" so I thought all the other would be "Bread No-Machine" but it doesn't look like it. Sorry.

Quote:

Maybe you could help me with something else... I want to try a recipe but here is the first step...
Quote:

# In a small bowl if using a bread machine, or in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix a 1/3 cup of the warm water (105-115 degrees) with the yeast and let stand until foamy.

Is there any way make this without a bread machine or a standing mixer with dough hook. I do have a handheld electric mixer.

I think this is just written funny - the author got lazy. You don't need the dough hook - or an electric mixer - to get the yeast and water mixed.

- If you're using a bread machine, the author wants you to mix the water and yeast together, let it stand, then dump it in the machine. Thus the "small bowl" instruction.

- If you're not using a bread machine, it sounds like the author wants you to mix the water and yeast in the bowl you're going to use to make the bread, so you need a bigger bowl - whatever bowl you're going to put everything else in. The rest of the recipe should involve you dumping flour, salt, whaever, into the yeast mixture.

The dough hook attachment on a standing electric mixer does the ingredient mixing (and maybe the kneading - I'm not real clear on that) but you don't need it.

Since you're not using a dough hook, ignore all the electrix mixer stuff. All you need to do is get the water and yeast mixed - put them in a bowl, give them a quick stir, and leave them alone until they get foamy. Then proceed as the recipe directs using a spoon (preferably wooden) to get the flour, etc., mixed into the yeast/water mixture until it forms a dough. This is actually a pretty definite event - all of sudden you've got a mass of dough instead of little globs of flour everywhere. Once the dough is formed, you knead by hand.

Here are a couple of nice tutorials on how to knead:

web page (this also has a tutorial on making bread in general)
web page

It's great exercise for the arms and shoulders.

Have fun. Do let us know how this comes out.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks for all the great advice! - nt new
      #302999 - 03/23/07 02:59 PM
karl

#304255 - 04/07/07 02:59 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Karl,
I LOVE my bread machine!! I use it every week, but I also have three young children and not quite as much time as I like! I use it for dough for rolls, homemade pizza (no cheese, of course), and breads of all sorts. I do like to make special breads by hand, but only when I have extra time.
MeiMei

#307333 - 05/15/07 11:18 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I just saw your post as I'm just beginning to explore the other message boards. I love my bread machine but I also love doing it by hand. If you have a heavy duty mixer the dough hook will do the kneeding for you. Depending on your time to make the bread is how you should try it. Each gives a slightly different texture and crust. I do find that doing it by hand or my mixer gives you more control over the outcome. I like the bread machine because I can put it in and come back hours later to find it ready to eat. on those days I don't have time but want fresh bread. I make a couple of loaves at a time and freeze one. Just slice it first and then freeze for easier use later. Enjoy. I cook because I have to but I bake because I love to.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 805 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review