All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A question for hohoyumyum?
      #300825 - 02/26/07 07:17 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi I read your post all the time and you have help me out a time or to as well. I saw were you said that you don't eat out you would rather stay home and cook so my question is if you don't mind me asking is HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH STUFF TO EAT?? I AM SO BURNED OUT ON TURKEY& CHICKEN,EVERY OTHER DAY FOR LUNCH AND SUPER & RICE POTS ALL THE TIME I WOULD LOVE SOME ADVICE AND SOME HELP IF YOU DON"T MIND???? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!
Emmasmom
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A question for hohoyumyum? new
      #300829 - 02/26/07 08:28 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I don't look at the EFI diet as being allowed to eat only specific foods. When I'm hungry I ask myself, "What do you feel like eating?", w/o regards to the EFI diet. I just pretend I have no diet limitations whatsoever. Then, after I decide what I want, I just figure out how to modify it. And if I don't like how it turns out, I can always count on the hubby to serve as a sort of living garbage disposal. I do a lot of trial and error to see how different food combinations and cooking techniques will turn out. I've gotten so good at making things up now that it's mostly trial, with very little error. I've spent a lot of time in the kitchen over the last few years.

I didn't always do this. For several months after I started Heather's diet, my menus were pretty limited. There were many nights when I ate nothing but french bread with a fat-free honey mustard dressing to dip it in.

Some of my favorite foods before I stabilized were

-white rice and baked catfish with any combo of the following: garlic powder, Tony's seasonings, lemon or lime juice, dried dill, dried parsley. I'd also throw in a vegetable if I felt like I could tolerate it. A note on this - cook the fish fillet in a small loaf pan, just large enough to hold the fish, and the fish will end up baking in it's own juices, which can then be poured over the rice for added flavor.
-white rice with shrimp sauteed in garlic with a little bit of cocktail sauce (just a tiny bit of horseradish mixed into ketchup w/o HFCS)
-bagels with soy cream cheese
-rice chex or corn pops with plain Silk soy milk
-Heather's pizza recipe (I put Soy-Sation cheese and sauteed mushrooms on them)
-Heather's pizza chex mix (in the EFI cookbook)
-Banana smoothies
-Bagels with "fried" egg whites and soy cheese (I toast a bagel, fry an egg white in a pan with a little canola oil spray, put it on the bagel, lay on a slice of soy cheese and nuke for about 30 seconds, put on the other half of bagel and eat it like a sandwich).

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: A question for hohoyumyum?Are you still there???? new
      #300840 - 02/27/07 06:50 AM
emmasmom

Thanks for replying back!I'm just at the point were I am so tired of the same old thing I miss mac & cheese, beans, salads and bacon for blts sour cream..... you get the pitchure.Breakfeast is the worse....... Anyideas for anything would be great thanks
emmasmom
Ibs-c

#300842 - 02/27/07 07:21 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

You can use turkey bacon for blts. It tastes quite close to regular bacon, but it doesn't crisp up as much (although there's probably a way to make it cripsy that I just don't know about).
As for breakfast, how about bagels and lox? It's safe and feels like a real treat. You can get tofutti cream cheese, but I usually go without - the lox is tasty enough on its own.
A good turkey meatloaf will come out very close to the beef version, and will make terrific sandwiches. There are several recipes on this site.
HTH

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#300843 - 02/27/07 07:33 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I don't know if you can tolerate Amy's brand of food but she makes a terrifice frozen soy mac-n-cheese dinner. It really is close the real thing. It is a littel pricey I think 2.99 but that's what I eat for lunch and to me that's not more than buying fast food. BLT are great with turkey bacon. To get it crispy cook it at a higher temp but watch it close so it doesn't burn. Toffuti makes a sour cream that I think is pretty good. I use it for tacos (made with ground turkey) potatoes with a little imitation bacon bits, on top of Gordon't potatoe and onion periogies and other things. The best thing I love to do with the sour cream is take a packet of Lipton onion soup mix and dump it into a container of Tofutti sour cream and have instant chip dip. You do have to be careful about how much you eat because the sour cream still has a lot of fat in it. But it helps me savor a favortie snack of mine. Remember that anything that calls for ground beef can easily be substitued for ground turkey.

HTH

Re: Its me again! new
      #300844 - 02/27/07 07:57 AM
emmasmom

Ok I have tried the turkey bacon and it upsets my stomach or it may just be my stomach it might be the smoke flavor. I saw the amys make and cheese with rice but it says contains milk an't that bad? What are lox? I have the sour cream in my ice box now its been in there for about a month I used it once and got sick but i was also was on my period. I may tired it again. Thanks for the help I'm just at my ropes end with this food thing!!! Anymore ideas PLEASE PLEASE send them my way! Thanks

#300846 - 02/27/07 08:43 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Lox is smoked salmon. It's a little on the high side for fat by itself, but when paired with a plain bagel, it's safe.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#300872 - 02/27/07 11:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Try Bac-Os for bacon bits. Heather says she even uses them to make turkey club sandwiches.

Amy's makes two different mac & cheese products, one with regular cheese and one with soy cheese. The one with soy cheese does contain caseinate which is a milk protein. A lot of people on the Boards can handle that but you'll have to try it for yourself to see.

Soy sour cream is safe as far as being non-dairy but it is still very high in fat so you have to approach it cautiously. I love it in LittleMinnie's Chicken Paprikash which only uses 1/4 cup of soy sour cream for 4 servings. I serve it over noodles rather than baked potatoes.

If you miss beans, give them a try. There's a great Southwest Chili recipe on the Board or try one of the bean dips in Heather's EFI cookbook if you want to smush them up for easier digesting. If you have problems with gas, try taking Beano beforehand.

Try some seafood, too. I really like JenniferRose's Shrimp Scampi with lots of bread to sop up the sauce. There are other shrimp scampi type recipes out there, too.

Salads are trickier. I can tolerate a small tossed salad now with (mostly after) dinner but it took a long time. Some people on the Board make cold salads out of cooked vegetables: steam carrots, zucchini, green beans, whatever strikes your fancy, cool them, and serve as a cold cooked salad.

For breakfast, try some of the muffin recipes on the Board or the bread recipes from Heather's EFI Cookbook - her banana bread is yummy and so, so tummy friendly - and it freezes very well.

A good way to get more ideas would be to Search on the Recipe Board for posts called "What's Cooking". These popped up from time to time over the last year or two and were threads where people reported on what they were cooking that week. They're nice places to read what other people have tried.

As for side dishes, you can try different potato recipes, jazz up your rice dishes, use pasta, risotto, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, and so on. I'd suggest just browsing through the Recipe Index and seeing what looks good. There are a zillion recipes out there and while not all of them will be to your liking, there will probably be more than a few that you love enough to eat even if your IBS was miraculously cured tomorrow. And, as your mother probably told you, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#300892 - 02/27/07 04:34 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I use Bac-Os for anything that I would normally want bacon with. Roads End Organics also has a dairy free mac-and-cheese and it's not too pricey. It made me pretty gassy but when I tried it a second time with BeanO it was just fine.

http://www.chreese.com/morepancakes.itml

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 772 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3682

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review