All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rooibos Natural Red Tea ! It's GREAT!!
      #29925 - 12/03/03 03:58 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I just purchased this tea because I'd been looking for a tea that was more like regular black tea. This is caffeine free and contains very little tannin. Also it's organic and full of antioxidants and quercetin. It's a little pricey though, 20 bags cost me $6.00 today. I'm hoping to find it a little cheaper somewhere other than Ralphs. We're so limited right now because of the grocery strike, can't shop but one or two stores w/o crossing the picket lines.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rooibos Natural Red Tea ! It's GREAT!! new
      #29955 - 12/03/03 07:39 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Karin,
I hear you about the strike. Everyone is tired of it after 2 months so maybe it will be resolved soon.

I've been testing herbal teas now for some time and this is what I've found. Yes, Rooibos is great. Did you know it was used as a coffee substitute for the troops in WW2 when coffee was at a shortage? To me the following tastes the most like coffee, with a touch of cinnamon.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herb/r.php

If you're looking for something that tastes the most like regular black tea and is also great as an ice tea sub, you may like to try the following. I can't really tell much of a difference between it and the real thing.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herb/cft.php

Celestial seasonings teas are fairly common in the grocery stores but these two I have to pick up at the health food store. If you get on a first name basis with the nearest health food store they are usually more than willing to keep your favorite items in stock. I'm affraid there just isn't the competition in the herbals like there is in the normal tea industry so they charge what the market will bear. One advantage is that unlike reg. tea that you brew for no more than 3 minutes, herbals you steep for much longer and one can often stretch the use of one bag to make quite a large amount. The 2 above I mentioned are just such kinds. Unfortunately, it's not cheap having IBS!!!
Kandee

--------------------

#29957 - 12/03/03 08:08 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

...I've been testing herbal teas now for some time and this is what I've found. Yes, Rooibos is great. Did you know it was used as a coffee substitute for the troops in WW2 when coffee was at a shortage? To me the following tastes the most like coffee, with a touch of cinnamon...

How interesting! I love Rooibis, and I had no clue it was used as a coffee substitute during WWII. Thanks for the fascinating trivia, Kandee.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#29994 - 12/04/03 09:13 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I'm still learnong about herbal teas. The one I use often is chamomile but celestrial seasonings. I'm Ibs D prone and have a little reflux. I love to others but afraid too because the effect on the my IBD D and Reflux don't want it.
Can you give some others you've tried and how they effect the gi track? I've seen all the teas on shelf and they sound so tasty.. Thanks for you input..

#30017 - 12/04/03 11:05 AM
evie

Reged: 11/22/03

Guys, for yummy tea:

Almond Sunset - Celestial Seasons

My description:

The smell - it's like my grandma's making coffee, and I'm eating all her cookies. It's Christmas and roasted nuts, definitely. But note the ingredients for possible problems. (There's always someone and some ingredient that don't agree with each other.) I, personally, was just fine my first try yesterday.

Ingredients: Roasted carob, roasted barley malt, roasted chicory root, cinnamon, natural flavor (who knows what that is? but it's almond flavor), roasted barley, orange peel, and anice seed (isn't anice good for digestion?)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1045 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review