All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
alfredo sauce...question about tofu
      #293664 - 12/14/06 10:21 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I am using tofu for the first time. I can't even imagine what it tastes like plain! ...but I'm willing to try. I want to make the non-dairy alfredo sauce that calls for Mori-Nu silken style tofu, firm or extra firm. But I don't have that kind. I have "Soga firm tofu"...doesn't say "silken." Is that going to be a problem? Also, for those of you who have made it, do you typically prefer rice milk or soy milk in it? I'm going to have to use soy b/c the rice milk I have is vanilla, but I was just wondering. Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: alfredo sauce...question about tofu new
      #293709 - 12/14/06 03:47 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I can't help you with that specific recipe, but I can tell you a little bit about tofu. First of all, you will be pleasantly surprised about the taste. It really has almost no taste. Nothing gross or anything. For some reason I expected it to have a fishy taste or something, but it's just really bland and plain.

The difference in the types of tofu... The firm or extra firm are for cutting and sauteeing or grilling or baking... dishes where you want the tofu to maintain it's shape to be eaten in bites. The silken is much smoother and is great in smoothies and sauces. You would definitely want to use silken for this recipe!

If you don't know what to do with your firm tofu, try putting some in Amy's Family Marinara sauce and serving over spaghetti. It is absolutely delicious!! I use about 1/3 of a tofu block, dice into 1/2" cubes and press between two cutting boards lined with paper towels for a few minutes to get out the excess water. Then just throw it in the pot with the sauce and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Super easy and super yummy!

thanks Julie... new
      #293978 - 12/17/06 06:58 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I just read your post tonight after already using the "firm" tofu for that recipe. It was, well, not so bad I guess. I think it was kind of "mind over matter" b/c I knew that there was tofu and soy milk in it so I kept adding more spices to "take away that taste!" I put the sauce over linguini, shrimp (which I had sauteed in some garlic and a little bit of olive oil) and steamed broccoli. I didn't say a word to my husband and he gave it an 8 out of 10! So I guess it is just getting used to the idea of tofu. My family thinks I'm a weirdo now (just jokingly of course) b/c I am suddenly this organic, health freak reading all ingredients and substituting things that all sound a bit out there. Thanks for clarifying the silken vs. firm. Now I'll have a better idea when shopping.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: thanks Julie... new
      #293982 - 12/17/06 07:19 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

LOL... my family thinks the same thing, but my husband has been a very good sport and enjoys our tofu spaghetti just as much as I do. I NEVER would've believed you if you had told me a year ago that either of us would willingly be eating tofu on a regular basis!!

I'm glad your sauce turned out well. I would suggest that you try a small taste of plain, uncooked tofu. You will be pleasantly surprised - there really isn't much of a taste to cover. I also think it's good to cut the tofu into smaller pieces, rather than big chunks, when you're still trying to get used to eating it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 798 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2238

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review