All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Request: recipe for steel cut oats in crockpot
      #275837 - 07/27/06 08:21 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I've been looking on the net but people seem to have trouble with sticking burning in the crockpot over night. Do any of you have a trusted true method?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Request: recipe for steel cut oats in crockpot new
      #275845 - 07/27/06 08:56 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Quoting myself from the breakfast thread...

To cook steel-cut oats in the Crockpot, combine 2 1/2 cups water, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 cup oats. Cover and let cook on low overnight. That's it. That makes 2 servings.

That's how my grandfather does it, and he's never had any problems with burning or excessive sticking (you'll get some sticking just because it's *oatmeal*, you know?).

Hope that helps!

#275892 - 07/27/06 12:16 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'll ask my husband tonight - he's the chef! I think his secret to avoiding burning/sticking is only setting it on "Keep Warm".

--AC

#275962 - 07/27/06 06:44 PM
AstroChick

EngineerDude says that he uses 4 cups of water, 1 cup of steel-cut oats, and a pinch of salt. Turn the crockpot to its lowest possible setting (Keep Warm or something like that).

You'll still get some sticky dried stuff on the sides, but just set the crockpot to soak during the day and it cleans out pretty easily.

--AC

#276132 - 07/28/06 02:00 PM
chupie

I used this amount instead of Atomic Rose's just because I think my crock runs hot. STarted it at 11:30 on low, flipped off at 4:30 when cats woke me up. It was perfect. Very yummy. I think I will toast oats first next time. I forgot. I like the nutty flavor you get.

#276425 - 07/31/06 11:01 AM
AstroChick

Hey, glad it works for you! Do tell me how you toast your oats and how toasted oats work in this recipe: I've heard about toasting them in butter, but that would't be too IBS-friendly!

--AC

#276492 - 07/31/06 04:25 PM
chupie

Well, I forgot I wanted to toast them first! But, in the past, you toast them in the pot you are going to make them in by mixing them with melted butter. But I don't think you need the butter. McCann oats says just put them on a cookie sheet in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes and store. This apparently cuts cooking time in half. I love the Alton Brown recipe. I will have to try it using almond milk. He uses whole milk and buttermilk. It's an abslutely delicious recipe.

So i'll have to try it with substitutes. It really was delicious. I think almond milk would be the best choice, don't you? It seems the "richest tasting".

Edited by chupie (07/31/06 04:27 PM)

#276707 - 08/02/06 07:30 AM
AstroChick

Yep, EngineerDude got his recipe from Alton Brown too, and modified it as we went along. I'll have to try the toasting too, although the last thing I want to do with crockpot oats is to cut down the cooking time!

If I want richness, I just go for regular Silk Vanilla. You could toss in a bit of the Silk creamer for creamier, and some apple cider vinegar for the buttermilk....

--AC (patiently waiting for oatmeal season - no way I'm eating anything hot when it's in the 90s outside!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 671 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3106

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review