All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Panda new
      #272821 - 07/06/06 04:11 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

are you sure you're not my friend Denise who's a lawyer working in NYC in disguise.

My anti-favourites:

1. pizza's
2. potatoe's
3. strawberrie's

That'll do for now but it's great to know that someone feels my pain!

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sinead new
      #272832 - 07/06/06 05:07 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Nope, not Denise ... but if you're ever in town again soon maybe we can all get together!

You know, I dabbled a little in online dating (didn't go great) and one really cute guy sent me an initial email that closed the door before it could be opened. Among other things, he mentioned that he really enjoyed romantic dinner's. I closed the email immediately and clicked that I didn't wish to hear from him in the future. My friends thought I was nuts, but I just knew I could never have anything in common with a guy who thinks that apostrophe was necessary!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Panda... new
      #272857 - 07/07/06 02:49 AM
cailin

I would be exactly the same about the email. I just couldn't. It would feel wrong. "dinner's" eugh. I am definitely a punctuation snob. Poor P knows it and is very good with his apostrophes but there are a few words he has a mental block about spelling0 like he always spells "wrecked" as "wreaked" which I really don't get. I get over it though, he knows where his apostrophes go.

Another thing that bugs me in work stuff is commas where they just don't make sense. Lots of people I work with or review documents for add them to make things look pretty. They don't seem to realise that they are used to pause things and sprinkle them randomly into long sentences.

OK rant over

--------------------
S.

ooopps new
      #272858 - 07/07/06 02:51 AM
cailin

I forgot the question mark in my post from last night.
(offers hand for lashings)

In my defence, I was just in from a boozy lunch when I typed so my guard was down. I was over the legal posting limit! I was going to edit the post now but felt like that would be cheating.

--------------------
S.

Hahaha...you two are funny... new
      #272875 - 07/07/06 07:00 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I have to admit that I am also a bit of a punctuation freak too....though you wouldn't think so from my posts...cos I post how I speak more or less...so I type in 'chat language' as I call it on here! But when it comes to magazines, books, people's essays....anything written where it is important to use the correct punctuation and they don't...then I actually feel my blood itch inside of me and want to change it....

--------------------
Natalie

excellent! new
      #272954 - 07/07/06 02:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Apostrophes are a real sore spot. I mean apostrophe's.
Another thing that bugs me is ending in prepositions in formal situations. Anyone can do it casually, but there are times when we must speak formally.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

right up my alley you guys new
      #272956 - 07/07/06 02:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My otherwise intelligent husband cannot spell deodorant. He spells it deoderant, like it needs to get rid of oder. I used to work for a women who always wrote that she wanted us to vaccume, but that one is hard. My dad wrote a note on our door when we were kids that said 'Clean up this day-bree'. But he pronounces everything wrong so that makes spelling correctly impossible.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: right up my alley you guys new
      #273142 - 07/08/06 06:52 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Ugh, spelling ... it was much more of a struggle for me than grammar, and I still have to check a ton of words. I'll forgive spelling errors readily. What annoys me about so many of the typical grammar / punctuation errors is that it always seems like the person making the errors is doing so out of a desire to appear more intelligent than he really is. For example, the people who always use "I" even where "me" would be correct ("would you like to come to the mall with Amanda and I?" Um ... no I would not.). It's so ... pretentious I guess. One spelling error that drives me nuts though is "definitely." Why do people insist on spelling it "definately?" I don't judge people on that though ... it's an honest phonetic mistake. But superfluous apostrophes and the incorrect "I" -- unforgivable!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

You guys are totally cracking me up new
      #273209 - 07/09/06 02:50 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

The superfluous apostrophes totally kill me, too. Comma splices bug me, too. Like, if people can sense that there's some kind of pause there, why can't they tell that it's the end of a sentence/thought???

Since I work with high school students, I see tons of mistakes all the time. I'm so accustomed to poor writing that it hardly fazes me anymore. The ones that do bug me, though, are the ones that just don't make sense. For example, how can someone write, "I didn't no that she knew"? How can the kid not get the connection between "know" and "knew"?

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8148

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review