All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I still can't find soy cheeses
      #268190 - 06/07/06 05:43 PM
aross

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Alabama

Hello...I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me out? I am trying to locate soy cheeses to replace cheeses in recipes. In my neck of the woods (Alabama and a small town to boot) it is impossible to find any kind of soy cheese. I have even been to the local health food stores. I was wondering if maybe there was a website to order the substitutes or some suggestions of what type of store to go to. I have been to 2 local grocery stores that usually have a great variety of specialty items and and still no luck. This is getting frustrating. Also, looking for a substitute to help me out with coffee. I have tried finding some that Heather has suggested but even the health food store clerk had never hear of them. What should I do?

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I still can't find soy cheeses new
      #268196 - 06/07/06 06:18 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Have you asked the Health food store to order some in? Usually they are very cooperative.

#268212 - 06/07/06 07:33 PM
aross

I'll try that...thank you.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

#268329 - 06/08/06 01:38 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

You can also contact health food companies directly and try ordering straight from them.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#268434 - 06/08/06 11:15 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I live in a small town and have a hard time finding some things. Our Wal-Mart (just got one last year!) sells a pretty good variety of soy cheeses and milks.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#268475 - 06/09/06 08:14 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Wow ... your local HFS doesn't have any cheese subs?? Did you just ask the clerk or did you look for yourself? I find sometimes that clerks deny the existence of items that they actually do have.

Try checking in the produce section -- most of my local grocery stores that do carry tofu and soy cheese will put it there (not sure why -- store managers must think that anyone who buys soy cheese generally only eats lettuce and carrots).

If you do have to resort to getting the HFS to order some, see if they can get Lisanatti. It was the only soy cheese I found that came close to tasting like real cheese.

I also found that I could omit the cheese in just about everything -- even cheeseless pizza is good. You might have to kick up other ingredients or spices to compensate, though.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#268482 - 06/09/06 08:49 AM
aross

I finally found a store who carries soy and rice cheeses...and substitutes for coffee!!!!! It is less than 5 miles from my work...I am so thrilled. It may sound crazy, but it is inside of a grocery store that I usually don't buy groceries at. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2252

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review