Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Looking for backpacking recipes
      #258708 - 04/18/06 11:23 AM
msoultan

Reged: 04/16/06
Loc: Long Beach, CA

Hello everyone,
I initially posted this in the fitness board, but someone recommended I post my message here. So....

I've stopped doing any backpacking for the past 5 years because of my IBS symptoms. After trying all different diets, I finally found help for my daily sanity with the IBS diets recommended in Heather's books.

Now, I would like to try venturing back into the outdoors again. Since meals eaten out on the trail can be quite different, I was hoping that there might be some of you that could make some recommendations for foods to eat.

Specifically, I'm looking for meals that are suited to backpacking (i.e. out in the wilderness for 5 days or more) and not car-camping as weight becomes a factor. Whether it's homemade recipes, or pre-packaged meals, either is cool. I'm just looking for as many backpacking-ibs-safe foods and any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Someone else posted in here about this yesterday new
      #258846 - 04/19/06 03:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you scroll down the page a bit, you'll see the thread, as well as any replies to it. You could also try a search for "backpacking" and "camping" - make sure it searches all of the message boards, no time limit - because this has definitely come up several times in the past. The search function is the second link from the left at the top of the page.

I'm probably not the person to ask, because when I'm supremely lazy when I camp/hike - being outdoors is a vacation from the constant cooking I normally do. Therefore, I tend to eat bagels with a little peanut butter, turkey jerky, homemade trail mixes made of cereals and dried fruit, and sometimes some fresh fruit, depending on how much of that stuff I want to carry. Oh, and instant oatmeal. That's really about it. LOL

A friend of mine, when I camped with her a few years ago, made a wonderful couscous dish over the campfire. Something like that is ideal because couscous cooks very quickly, and you can carry it in dry (and therefore not so heavy and bulky). I don't have her recipe, unfortunately, but I think Little Minnie suggests a couscous dish in her reply to the person who posted a couple days ago.

Good luck!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 399 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 988

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review