All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Summer's Coming
      #247613 - 02/21/06 11:41 AM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

Every year, I run into the same problem. My family loves to go boating, and spend the day at the beach. As you can imagine, it is impossible to deal with an attack out there, so if I am the least bit likley to have problems, I stay home. What I need are ideas for safe foods I can pack and eat while on the boat / at the beach. Anything that can be served cold / room temp would be good, especially if no silverware is required. Also, grilled foods that can be prepped ahead. Any ideas?

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Summer's Coming new
      #247645 - 02/21/06 01:42 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a few suggestions: simple chicken.... for the grill... cold sandwiches. safe veggies to go on the grill
potato for the grill, pasta can be good cold with all kinds of sauces and toppings - many of which are safe..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#248007 - 02/23/06 05:26 AM
BethE

I do the grilled chicken a lot, and shrimp kabobs, and I love to take the cold sesame potato sticks from the book, but am in dire need of new ideas. we go out every weekend, and sometimes after work, so that much grilled chicken and potatoes can get very boring. I've been looking through the recipe index, but wasn't sure if anyone had other ideas.

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

#249271 - 02/28/06 05:17 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Consider finger foods. Here's a post I did a while back listing some of my favorites. There are more in EFI and there are some in the Recipe Index, too.

Also, cold boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce and lemon. Serve with a loaf of French or Italian bread and some olive oil for everyone else to dip in. (We, unfortunately, get just one tiny dip.)

Anchors aweigh! And don't forget the sunscreen.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#249869 - 03/03/06 12:57 PM
BethE

Thanks for all the ideas! I tried my first Luna bar(s) this week - loved the lemon, but tried the nutz for chocolate, too, which did NOT love me, so now I'm looking at them to see why (oops). The shrimp and wraps are great ideas i hadn't thought of. A lot of what you suggested I can only do sometimes - I still tend to stick to very safe foods, even after all this time. once in a while I'll get a little more adventurous, but not out of the house, as it occasionally comes back to haunt me. However, the boiled egg whites are a great idea, and the dried fruit.

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Pasta, rice, couscous, and potato salads! new
      #249879 - 03/03/06 01:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Between those 4, you have an almost endless variety of options... plus a built-in good source of soluble fiber. Just keep the dressings as low in fat as possible, and leave the raw-vegetable-experimenting for a day you won't be on the beach.

My safest food-on-the-go is still a turkey sandwich. I also like portabello mushrooms marinated ahead of time and grilled - they make tasty sandwiches, too. Even at my worst, I can handle that.

#249907 - 03/03/06 05:49 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Okay, this may sound really bad, but if you have an attack, there's a lot of water around, do as the fish do. Go way out in the water and away from people and they'll never know. I know it sounds horrible but I've had to do that. With D, sometimes you just can't make it anywhere, as you know. As for the food part, everyone has already suggested what I do. Turkey sandwiches, potatoes, shrimp, safe veggies. Good luck.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2798

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review