All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Do you all think this recipe is safe?
      #243894 - 02/03/06 11:43 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

I saw this posted on www.recipezaar.com today and thought it may be good for us. What do ya all think? This recipe is from Sharon123.

1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
Herb Crust
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I only use a pinch)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Mushroom Gravy
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
5 button mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 teaspoons cornstarch

4 servings Change size or US/metric
Change to: servings US Metric

40 minutes 10 mins prep
Drain the tofu and cut into 6 slices.
To Make Herb Crust:.
Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a shallow bowl.
To Make Mushroom Gravy:.
Saute the onion in olive oil over medium hight heat. Stir it often for 5 minutes, or until it is browned. Add the rosemary, the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Add the broth, and simmer it until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Then coat the tofu cutlets with the herb crust. Place in the oil, and fry 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Heat the gravy over high heat.Mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water; whisk into the gravy until it's thickened, and remove from heat.
Spoon the mushroom gravy over the tofu cutlets. Serve and enjoy!

If it looks good I will leave it posted here.

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nope, not safe new
      #243914 - 02/03/06 12:24 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Too much fat. The tofu is essentially deep-fried. I don't *think* you could bake it - omitting that 1/2 cup of oil - and get the same results, but you could try it. You could also try "frying" them in a dry (cooking-sprayed) pan, but I don't think that will yield the same results either.

I would also omit the oil from the mushroom sauce completely, and use cooking spray for the sauteing. Tofu is pretty high in fat in and of itself, so you'd want as little additional oil in the recipe as possible.

Re: Nope, not safe new
      #243919 - 02/03/06 12:31 PM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

I thought not Thanks Casey

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

well, with a little tweaking... new
      #244277 - 02/05/06 03:16 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I agree, as-is it's not safe. But a little tweaking I think and it could be, if you made it more like a baked tofu with mushroom gravy...

Here's what I'd do: mix together the herb crust mix, cutting down the oil to only 1 tbsp or so (or even less) and mixing it with the herbs. Drain your tofu thoroughly, slice it into thin strips (1/4"), lay it out on a baking pan and coat it with the herb mix. then bake it 30-40 minutes (the longer you bake it the chewier it'll be).

You *can* also pan-fry tofu in cooking spray, but you won't get the same crispy-chewy results unless you use loads of oil, like Casey said.

(Note: baked or pan-fried tofu also makes really good sandwich filling too! )

Also, another good tip is freezing the cake of tofu then thaw it out completely before using it in something like this. It makes it a bit easier to work with AND it allows for mega-absorption of whatever flavours you're cookign with.

As for the mushroom gravy, you can pretty much make it the same way but you don't need all that oil. To sauté you can just use some cooking spray, like Casey said. There's also a few other good safe mushroom gravy recipes floating around on this board that would do well here too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1432 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1544

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review