All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Indian Food
      #240802 - 01/23/06 11:03 AM
joecool

Reged: 12/31/05
Loc: Minnesota

I went to an Indian restraunt this weekend and I got what I thought might be a safe item called Chicken Madrasi. It was awesome and it didn't cause me any problem but I am lucy and not as sensitive as many here. So I decide to take a look for a recipe and am amazed at how much oil they use for almost all there dishes. I thought Indian food was low in fat but I get the feeling that just isn't true. Indian food sometimes uses a lot of dairy such as Yogurt and Milk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Very true new
      #240821 - 01/23/06 11:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Indian food is NOT low in fat. At all. They use a lot of ghee, which is clarified butter, as well as yogurt and fresh cheeses - all dairy ingredients that should be avoided.

That said, I eat Indian food all the time. I make it myself at home, and therefore know it's safe. However, if you do find yourself in a restaurant, stick with something that isn't soaking in a sauce. Good options are tandoori chicken or chicken tikki (tikka), both of which are marinated or spice-rubbed and then grilled. And, of course, plain basmati rice is always safe!

Re: Very true new
      #240839 - 01/23/06 12:20 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I ate a frozen meal (Indian) today for lunch. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the ingredients as I am stable and can afford to not be quite so careful. Something in there has my tummy a little queasy...not an attack but I won't be eating that stuff again!

I love the foold though!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Indian Food new
      #240845 - 01/23/06 12:35 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Oh, I LOVE Indian food too! Cool thing is most of the dishes come with rice and if they don't you can order naan, the bread as a soluble fiber.

My personal fave is mataar paneer. I'm not really sure what is in it (it's orange with peas and chunks of hardened ricotta cheese, which you would have to avoid if you're senstive to it) but it is oh so yummy. I bought some frozen, tv-dinner style. Blech, disgusting!

#240851 - 01/23/06 12:42 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There are some posts about Indian food on the Diet Board that list safe dishes. You can just Search for "Indian" (don't use the quotes).

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#240875 - 01/23/06 02:26 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Watch the pilau rice as it's full of ghee too, and as for the poppadums

I try to get fish cooked with spices as opposed to curries as my absolute favourites are the really creamy dishes like Butter Chicken and Chicken Murghali (sp?) as they are sooo bad for IBS.

UKers- When Casey says Chicken Tikka she most definitely doesn't mean tikka masala which is chock full of dairy...just in case you saw this as a signal to eat it, sorry.

--------------------
S.

Yeah... new
      #240898 - 01/23/06 03:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Over here, we have 2 dishes: chicken tikka, which is just the tandoor-grilled chicken breast, and chicken tikka masala, which is the aforementioned chicken doused in a heavenly sauce that, unfortunately, contains a LOT of ghee and isn't safe. (Phooey!)

At the local restaurant here, "chicken tikka" - the one without the sauce - is offered as an appetizer only, so don't forget to look in that section of the menu for safe possible options.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review