All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
gluten free,dairy free,IBS safe foods
      #234108 - 12/28/05 12:37 PM
ebrbetty

Reged: 03/31/05

hello everyone, I'm new to the boards and need help looking for safe foods to eat. I have stomach pain everyday,started a gluten free diet 3 weeks ago,but still hurting,so last week I went dairy free..most all of the gluten free foods I bought have dairy in them,I'm at a loss as to what to eat,right now I'm living on white corn nachos,but loosing more weight. I just want the stomach pains,bloating and gas to stop,its been 11 months 24/7. still having trouble believing IBS and dairy can cause severe pain.
thank you very much
Betty

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome back. (m) new
      #234115 - 12/28/05 01:07 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm a little confused. Since you posted a while back about being on Zelnorm, I assume you have a firm IBS diagnosis. Dairy is one of the big four IBS triggers, so if you've continued to eat dairy that might well be what's making you having continuing symptoms, rather than gluten.

On the other hand, if you now have an additional diagnosis of Celiac or gluten intolerance, here's a link to an old newsletter about Celiac and gluten intolerance that touches on how to eat on Heather's diet while avoiding gluten.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Welcome back. (m) new
      #234119 - 12/28/05 01:29 PM
ebrbetty

thanks sand, I've been told by 3 different doctors Its IBS,but never a thing about lactose intolerance.
I just read Kandees story and its the same problems I have, she mentioned there are many posts listing safe foods to buy and gluten free/dairy free recipes,after a search I came up with very little.
I'm so tired of the pain and being sick everyday,this board looks helpful as well as the members.
one more question,if thats ok heather posted something about threads on eating out,I did a search on resturants,again no luck
thanks to anyone who can help me,I want relief but still need to eat
Betty

#234123 - 12/28/05 01:53 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi! If you have IBS, you should still avoid dairy even if you're not lactose intolerant. It's not just the lactose, but the proteins in dairy products that can trigger attacks. You may want to reread the basic IBS diet guidelines and trigger food list; here are the links from the main Help for IBS site (not the boards):

IBS Diet FAQ

How to Eat for IBS

As far as searches on the boards go, I noticed you spelled "restaurants" wrong on this post - so maybe that's why nothing turned up? Also, you might want to do a search on "GF" rather than "gluten free" since it seems more people use that.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry you're in so much pain - but that's not uncommon with IBS. Unfortunately, our guts are more sensitive. ALso, remember that not eating can also trigger an attack and pain. Have you started taking an SFS yet?

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (12/28/05 01:54 PM)

#234137 - 12/28/05 03:14 PM
ebrbetty

Thank you,you've been very helpful
what are the STF'S? I do take heathers fiber,as I have IBS C
I was just reading the list of insoluble fiber foods and to never eat alone,this may be a silly question but is it fine to eat them with say a piece of fish for dinner or only with soluble fiber?
I appreciate all the help here,I just have such a hard time believing IBS can hurt this much,all day today I've has terrible pain on the right side of my belly,it just won't stop. my mind starts thinking crazy stuff like I must have cancer or something...sorry but I get scared

ebrbtty new
      #234496 - 12/29/05 10:54 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

SFS are soluble fiber supplements, which you're already taking. I think it would be fine to eat insoluble fiber with fish as long as you had a good portion of SF food, like GF bread, potatoes, or rice.

I know it's frustrating to realize that IBS can cause so much pain. It may take a while of following the diet for you to feel a lot better, but most of us noticed some improvement each week. For me, I would say it took a week or two for the diarrhea and gas to resolve and about four months for a significant reduction in pain. Just try to be patient. Actually, I should read my old posts because I'm forgetting my personal IBS-improvement timeline.

Re: ebrbtty new
      #234510 - 12/30/05 04:43 AM
ebrbetty

thanks Maria, There is so much to learn I'm debating whether to buy the book or not,doing GF and all

#234520 - 12/30/05 06:36 AM
Sand

I would definitely try to find "The First Year". If you don't want to buy it, your library may carry it. One very useful part of it - which is also on this Website (not the Boards) - is a list of what tests you should have to rule out other conditions before being diagnosed with IBS. Seeing which tests you need and being sure you've had them should help with your fears about having something like cancer.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (12/30/05 06:36 AM)

#234536 - 12/30/05 07:42 AM
ebrbetty

hi sand, I just bought both books. I've had EVERY test going next week for more Cat scans just to be sure.
thank you very much for your help and kind replies,its refreshing

You're quite welcome. Take care. -nt- new
      #234543 - 12/30/05 08:04 AM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3495

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review