All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
French fries??
      #233566 - 12/23/05 12:45 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

One of my safe staples is French fries -- I peel and cut up potatoes, spray lightly with non-stick spray, and bake in the toaster oven. But this means every time I want them I have to peel and cut potatoes. And I am lazy, and it would really be nice to just pull some from the freezer. I've looked at the premade French fries, but the fat content on them is pretty high considering I have to eat them on an empty, ultra-touchy stomach. (The majority of Ore-Ida's potato products have 50% calories from fat! Yikes.)

So, has anyone tried cutting potatoes up and freezing? I know from personal experiences that cooked potatoes do NOT freeze well, but would cut-up raw potatoes do OK, you think? Since the fat content on store-bought fries are so high, do you suppose they need to be smothered in oil to freeze well?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: French fries?? new
      #233599 - 12/23/05 02:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm thinking they'd probably be ok as long as you do what you'd do with the store-bought ones: bake them frozen. I think that if you thawed them first, they'd turn to mush.

#233604 - 12/23/05 02:59 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

McCain has a low fat frozen french fry out there. I tolerate it pretty well. I also find rice a refreshing breather from the whole tater thing. Cook up a bunch, throw it in the fridge and it nukes in like 60 seconds. Yum!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#233606 - 12/23/05 03:05 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

How about not peeling them if your stomach can take it? That would save about 90% of the work of making them from fresh potatoes. I sometimes make them this way - I hate to peel potatoes - and they taste fine to me.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#233629 - 12/23/05 06:10 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

All Natural Alexia frozen fries are pretty good and they are only3.5 grams of fat per serving which a serving is 24 fries. The have no Trans fat and the ingrediants are Yukon Gold Potatoes, Canola Oil and/ or Sunflower Oil and Sea Salt. They are also Gluten Free.

I got tired of making my own because between working full-time and a 2 year old I want something quick!!

They run about 1.99 to 2.59 a bag. But I think they are worth it. You can find them in the freezer section in Meijer's or in the health food section in Krogers. Hope this helps!!

#233708 - 12/24/05 05:10 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Hey Jen,

I do this every day, too. I Make a HUGE batch of mashed potatoes about twice a week and every single day I make 3 Potatoes worth of baked french fries. Well, mine are more like big wedges!! Every single day...If you find a better way I would love to hear about it. I eat more mashed potato burritos because mashed potatoes keep better in the fridge than baked fries. Hell, baked fries don't taste good to me after they've been done for awhile. I will throw the rest away if I don't finish'em off within a couple of hours after I bake them.

Oy, time to go peel some more potatoes!!! LOL!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#233713 - 12/24/05 06:45 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

the nathan's brand of frozen fries is also relatively low-fat. i cook them for a good five minutes more than the package says to get them properly crispy, but they're really good.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#233763 - 12/25/05 08:38 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Hey Michelle, I wanted to tell you I made your mash potato burrito this week. I added some frozen spinach (squeezed dry) as I whipped them. Even DH liked them. I needed to incorporate some veggies and saw this recipe in a book. They were great and no problems for my tummy. Thanks for your idea!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Edited by franny (12/25/05 08:39 PM)

Re: No Problem!! new
      #233778 - 12/26/05 07:23 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Oooh, Franny that sounds good! I'm glad you liked them! Especially good news that they didn't upset your tummy!!

I'm getting ready to make one right now...!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#233781 - 12/26/05 07:30 AM
NitaMae

Reged: 10/31/05

Help please! I can't figure out how to post. I need immediate help on double decker sweet potato pie.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 761 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8000

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review