All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Recipes good for freezing?
      #220794 - 10/23/05 06:39 AM
mikeg

Reged: 10/23/05

Hey all,

I am new to the boards, this is my first post.

I suffer from IBS like all of you, but I also suffer from being a work-o-holic. This can be a very challenging (and unhealthy) combination. I was wondering if any of the busy people out there could help me find specific recipes within this site that they have found to be good for freezing. My plan is to cook about three different meals every Sunday, freeze them, and eat them throughout the week.

Any suggesitons would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Mike

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Recipes good for freezing? new
      #220799 - 10/23/05 07:29 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Welcome, Mike! I'm a college student, so I suffer from about the same workoholic tendencies! There are lots of days I only eat breakfast at home!

Muffins and quick breads freeze well, and can be great sources of safe ways to get your fruits and veggies. I could live off of muffins some days, I swear! For "real" meals, I usually make an overly large amount of rice or pasta or something like that one night, and eat leftovers for the next several days. Hope that helps a little at least!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#220805 - 10/23/05 08:17 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I've had good luck freezing casseroles in general. Soups also freeze pretty well.

As for specific recipes, I posted a chimichanga recipe a couple of weeks ago that I've since found freezes well. It makes 8 chimis.

#220808 - 10/23/05 08:37 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My spaghetti and chili recipes freeze beautifully, so I would think most other spaghetti and chili recipes would, too.

Heather's Zucchini Bread and Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread freeze perfectly - I wrap a half-loaf in waxed paper, then in aluminum foil, then throw them in a plastic bag. Take out the half-loaf as you need it - if you leave it in the refrigerator overnight, it's thawed by morning.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#220820 - 10/23/05 10:02 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I freeze just about anything, but my staples are breads, muffins, soups/stews, and rice/pasta-based casseroles. I eat bread and muffins during the work week, so I divvy them up ahead of time into plastic ziploc bags and freeze them that way -- 2-3 muffins/slices of bread per bag works well for me. If I forget to transfer something from freezer to fridge the night before, I just pop it in the microwave for 35 seconds or so.

The only thing I've had not turn out after freezing is anything with potatoes in it. Potatoes get this weird mealy texture when reheated. So if you do make anything potato-based, leave it in the fridge and make sure you eat it all within the first couple days. And if you make anything mashed potato-based using instant potatoes, I'd advise eating in the first sitting, as every time I've reheated instant mashed potatoes they tend to have weird congealed lumps. Ick!

I cool bread/muffins completely before freezing, otherwise they get soggy when reheated.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review