All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Home oven fries (question)
      #216047 - 09/27/05 05:38 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Every time I try to bake fries/potatoes with seasoning they stick to my pans, and when I try to remove them they mush up...even if they are coated with oil. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well... new
      #216050 - 09/27/05 05:48 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'll tell you what I do, and you can compare with what you're doing. Mine stick a tiny bit, but never enough that they mush.

I don't use oil - I spray the baking sheet with cooking spray, and I spray the potatoes with spray as well, before I shake on the seasonings.

I bake them at a high-ish temperature - usually 400 degrees, although I go as high as 450 if I'm in a hurry.

I bake them till they're browned and mostly crispy but not hard (or burnt!), which usually takes 40 minutes at 400. I don't turn them during the cooking, because I've found that it's just not necessary.

I think that the higher oven temperature and waiting till they're crispy is what keeps them from sticking to a point where they'll mush up.

If you're looking to have softer potatoes, and not "fries", try baking them in a slightly deeper pan and covering the pan with foil for half of the cooking time. This makes them more moist and less browned, and I've never had them stick this way, either.

Hope that helps!

Another thing I do.... new
      #216076 - 09/27/05 08:31 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

is make sure to move them around during cooking. Like turn them over, etc. I also use spray.

--------------------

Thanks new
      #216103 - 09/27/05 09:26 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Thanks, will take these ideas and try it again!

Parchment Paper new
      #216228 - 09/27/05 07:58 PM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Parchment paper is great! I've never thought to use it for home fries until now, but nothing sticks to that stuff, and it makes clean up so much easier.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 550 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1420

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review