All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Apple Spiced Walnut bread
      #201758 - 08/02/05 10:50 AM
katherinesanders

Reged: 07/31/05

Hello! I just made my first loaf of this, using the UK recipe in 'First Year'. It looks and smells delicious! The only thing I've found is that it's been in the oven at 180C for nearly two hours, it came cleanly out of the tin and the top is nice and crusty but when I put a knife in it, it's not coming out clean. I have to use gluten free flour and put in extra applesauce (i didn't have a fresh apple), so would that make it more sticky? It /seems/ cooked but ...

Can't wait to get all the ingredients for some more yummy stuff!

Katherine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Adapting to make it GF new
      #202279 - 08/03/05 10:08 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hello! I just made my first loaf of this, using the UK recipe in 'First Year'. It looks and smells delicious! The only thing I've found is that it's been in the oven at 180C for nearly two hours, it came cleanly out of the tin and the top is nice and crusty but when I put a knife in it, it's not coming out clean. I have to use gluten free flour and put in extra applesauce (i didn't have a fresh apple), so would that make it more sticky? It /seems/ cooked but ...

Manipulating a standard recipe to use a gluten free blend of flours can get tricky. If anything, use LESS, not more applesauce, and a tablespoon more oil. For this recipe I would use 1/3 not 1/2 cup applesauce and if I didn't have the fresh apple I'd either add dried fruit (raisins, dates, dried apples/apricots/etc.) instead of the fresh or just leave it out. You also need to bake it for a longer peiod of time, even though it looks done on the top, and sometimes at a slightly higher temperature.

I recently had to adapt a fabulous GF chocolate zucchini loaf to make it low fat and IBS safe. The original called for 1 cup of oil for 2 loaves. Instead I used 1/3 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce and it came out terrific--& you can't tell the difference. Just keep in mind when using applesauce in a GF recipe, less is better than more even though it reduces the liquids a bit, which won't affect the end product. I've learned all this the hard way.

Can't wait to get all the ingredients for some more yummy stuff! That's great..good luck to you. Kandee

Katherine

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 972 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1049

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review