1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/8 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl mix sugars, margarine, vanilla and egg whites. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, and cinnamon. Stir into the creamed mixture. Add the mashed bananas, rolled oats and chocolate chips, mix until well blended.

Drop dough by using a rounded teaspoon about 2 inches apart on an un-greased cookie sheet (You can also use an air bake cookie sheet with parchment paper.) You can make the cookies larger but don't forget the fat grams will increase. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown

Nutrition Information: (per 2)
Cal: 212
Fat: less than 1 g
Carbs: 49 g
Fiber: 1 g

They turned out very soggy and cakey. They are not bad when cold. Anyway I don't know what sort of FF margarine this recipe is referring to. I used 1/2 DF margarine and 1/2 applesauce. the cookies are fine tasting (have DF choc chunks and craisins in them) but I was wondering how to make them more cookie-like and what the deal is with FF margarine. I didn't even know there was such a thing. does reducing the baking soda make them more cookieish and less cakeish?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hmmm.. new
      #194785 - 07/12/05 03:58 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

what is df margarine? i don't think there IS such a thing as fat free margarine. And all my cookies books say that lowfat margarine will yield a "wetter" cookie, since there is more water in it. I'm guessing that was the problem with the applesauce--the wetness of it is what made it soggy.

--------------------

Re: need help with cookie recipe new
      #194795 - 07/12/05 04:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I think all the bananas made them cakey! Don't laugh, but I'd eliminate the fat-free margarine (1c.) and just bake them with the bananas. Bananas are great fat replacers and actually ADD
to the moisture of a recipe. The quantity of bananas you used
would be equal or slightly more than the quantity of margarine. I think it's a dry/wet ingredient ratio problem. It reads like a muffin/brownie type of recipe, but with less semi-wet ingredients.

Now that I reread the recipe, it's rather pancake like, but without the large quantity of wet stuff. If I redid them, or made them in the first place, I'd just leave out the margarine.

Re: need help with cookie recipe new
      #194870 - 07/12/05 07:26 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Minnie, I almost always have problems with LF cookies ending up too cake-like and kind of slimey. I guess that's where you really need the fat.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Hmmm.. new
      #194885 - 07/12/05 07:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Dairy free like Willow Run. I haven't looked for FF margarine but it must exist somewhere to be in this recipe. I just thought it was strange because usually they say not to cook/bake with low fat margarine.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

sometimes I think recipe creators imagine products new
      #195382 - 07/13/05 07:14 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

because I have seen recipes referencing things like fat-free chocolate chips, and I have never in my life see FF choc chips. They don't even have low-fat!

I have found that in most cases it's pretty much impossible to just sub in a cookie recipe. Usually I have to do some tweaking with the majority of the ingredients to get it to be safe AND edible.

If you want to experiment, two things I've used to firm up cookies is (a) using corn syrup (light has HFCS, dark doesn't) (careful with this or your cookies end up soggy instead of crispy) and (b) beating the egg whites until they are not quite stiff. I have NEVER used a fruit puree in a cookie and had it turn out anything but soggy.

BTW, even if you're subbing 1/2 applesauce, that's still a whole stick of margarine! Plus a cup of chocolate chips. Isn't that going to make the fat content way too high? (I am too lazy to go calculate it, though.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: sometimes I think recipe creators imagine products new
      #195743 - 07/14/05 03:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Ok well if anyone sees FF margarine let me know. Yes it was a stick of margarine but it made gobs of cookies. I used about 2/3c ghiradelli bittersweet choc. chunks. I think the fat content was reasonable. after all the recipe said 1c chips in there with the FF marg made for less than 1g fat per cookie. I figured less than 3 grams per cookie for sure. And that is with quite a bit of cals.
Also I have been able to eat these cookies really well- no problems and this is my first time that choc isn't bothering me (besides junior mints).

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 936 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1721

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review