All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What's cooking? - Week of June 27, 2005 - RESULTS!
      #190624 - 06/30/05 12:39 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made HanSolo's CrockPot Chicken Cacciatore last night for dinner. It smelled fabulous while it was cooking and it tasted very good. My DH really liked it.

I used diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes or tomato paste. (Our BBQ got thunderstormed out, so I scrambled around to make this with what I had.) Next time I'll try the tomato paste or half tomato paste, half crushed tomatoes to get a thicker sauce.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (06/30/05 12:40 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's cooking? - Week of June 27, 2005 - RESULTS! new
      #191303 - 07/03/05 05:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Ok I have never gotten into the what's cooking thing before because it started when I was on vacation and I didn't know what to do. But here goes.
I made Heather's Salmon and wheat berries from her book on Friday. I do so love that recipe! I think it is best to double the wheat berries and/or halve the dressing amount. There is always way too much dressing. I ate it with a ciabatta roll and it was fine for me. Also I subs. 1T water for 1T oil.
Tonight I made mashed potatoes. I put a lot of salt and a garlic clove in the water. I mashed them in a ricer. I put some margarine in the bowl and fresh chives and then mixed in about half a can broth. I added soy sour cream at the end and more salt and paprika.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#191349 - 07/03/05 08:29 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

OK, I didn't post in the other thread first, but I decided I wanted to play, too.

I made Jennifer Rose's shrimp scampi tonight. I am not a seafood fan, but my husband bought all this shrimp and I figured that if I had to toil over the stove I may as well make something I could eat.

I served this over rice noodles cause the only other pasta in the house I had was elbow macaroni, and I would've felt like some kind of hick serving shrimp scampi over elbow macaroni. The sauce on the noodles was GREAT! The shrimp I wasn't crazy about, because, well, it tasted like shrimp. My husband loved it, but did not appreciate the rice noodles in lieu of linguini. I would definitely make this again, but wouldn't eat the actual shrimp again.

This was the first time I've ever deveined shrimp, and I nearly threw up the first time I pulled out that gross nasty slimy gloppy intestinal vein. OK, yeah, I'm squeamish. The first time I ever cooked a whole bird, I pulled the "surprise package" out of the cavity and just about lost it then, too.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#191440 - 07/04/05 09:17 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Wednesday, I made [url=http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/chickenpotpie022703.html]Heather's chicken pot pie[/url . I served it with low fat Bisquick drop biscuits. I thought it could use a little more chickeny flavor and a dash more pepper & salt and maybe some garlic the next time, but it was tasty and there were no leftovers. It does indeed serve 8 to 10 people.

The only thing I was confused about was the powdered chicken broth. I ended up using powdered bullion in about 1/4 cup of water - and I'm not sure that was the right way to go. I think I will make this again, but not on a 90+ degree day!

EZ-Peel Shrimp new
      #191538 - 07/04/05 02:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Deveining shrimp is pretty gross. (Warning: Don't ever clean a whole crab - it's even worse.) Around here we can get what I call Zip-Strip Shrimp: no head, tail on, in the shell BUT someone or something has run a blade along the back, so the vein is gone. As a bonus, the shell is split which makes peeling it super-easy. We can also buy shelled, peeled, and deveined shrimp, sometimes for the same price as shell-on. So, the next time your husband wants to buy shrimp, ask him to look for one of those - or get him to devein it. (Some people even eat the shrimp with the vein in. I think that's grosser than having to devein it, but since you don't actually eat them yourself ... )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#192023 - 07/05/05 06:39 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Posting the results a little late but oh well! I made the Baked Egg Rolls and Asian Rice dish to go with it and they were really good! I would suggest to find shredded cabbage in a bag and carrots also to save time. But the egg rolls were delicious!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2469

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review