All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hearty warming breakfast, lots of room for variation
      #177414 - 05/08/05 07:56 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

This is a really delicious combination to start the day with; it's really easy and offers lots of room for variation.

Makes 1 serving.

In a bowl, mix together:

1 - 1.5 cups uncooked grain (oatmeal, rice, quinoa, polenta etc.)

1/2 cup stewed fruit (I use applesauce or stewed apples or pears, berries would also be nice, peaches maybe too)

1/8 cup soy milk or water (use more or less depending on how you like the consistency of your grain)

about 1 tbsp of nuts, chopped (I use 4-5 almonds, you may want to use less if you are very sensitive to fats)

1/8 cup raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit, or chopped up fruit leather

spices (suit to fit your tastes): 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

(You could also add sweetener if you wanted, but I find with the stewed and dried fruit that it really doesn't need it)

Cook according to the package directions for your grain. (For oatmeal I do 2 mins in the microwave but you could also do it on the stovetop. Something like rice would probably take a little longer and you may choose to start with it already cooked.)

Enjoy!

Very approximate nutritional values (will vary depending on what ingredients you use):
325 calories
5g fat (14%)
60g carb
10g protein

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hearty warming breakfast, lots of room for variation new
      #179217 - 05/15/05 10:35 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

OH OH OH..... this sounds like the PERFECT Sunday breakfast for me!! hehehe

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Hearty warming breakfast, lots of room for variation--THANKS RETRO new
      #179607 - 05/17/05 01:05 PM
Ghost

Reged: 04/24/05

Dear Laurel,

Your friendly Ghost here. I know the message I am replying to is a bit outdated, so I hope you catch it.

I just wanted to second some other voices I have heard on posts around the boards and say thank you for the many contributions you have made. You replied to me in my first post, a few weeks ago, and I have made my way through some of your other posts and got some great tips. E.g., I found your info about assigning values to different foods and organizing meals around that, which I found to be quite useful in thinking about this stuff; also, your public food journals have been good, even though I am a 26-year-old male (though only about a pound more than you!).

I am also glad to report that my stomach has started to stabilize noticeably after 3+ months of severe A, with weeks of D one after another. So I feel a ton better after streamlining my diet and eliminating problem foods; I still have kinks to work out, but I am on the way. This IBS site has been such a HUGE source of valuable information for me, and I am surprised to find how often you provide some of the finer details that Heather's pages speak to more generally.

Be well.
-Justin

No prob Shell! Hope you enjoy it! -nt- new
      #179863 - 05/18/05 12:28 PM
retrograde

Justin (Ghost) new
      #179864 - 05/18/05 12:39 PM
retrograde

Hi Justin,

Wow thanks so much! I'm glad you've found some of my posts useful, and also my public journals (though I haven't been the best at keeping those up to date lately, have I? ).

And I'm even MORE glad to hear that you've stabilized! Good for you! That's so great to hear! I'm kind of in a similar place to you right now. I'm pretty much stable, but I do have lapses (IBS-D) every few weeks or months or so. But that's definitely tolerable, compared to where I was before. So we're both on our way

This site IS great, isn't it? I love all the info here, especially the boards - for the friendly support and, as you said, for the clarification of some of the 'finer details' of the diet and stuff.

I seem to recall that you're vegan, and trying to gain weight yes? How is that going?

Anyway, once again, happy to hear you're benefitting from everything! Best of luck, and I'm sure I'll talk to you soon.

Re: Justin (Ghost) new
      #179993 - 05/19/05 05:27 AM
Ghost

Dear Laurel,

Yes, your memory is working just right--I am a vegan and trying to gain weight. My weight is semi-stable, though I think I dropped a bit again recently. My stomach is still fairly fickle--had another minor bout of D just yesterday, and now working through it--so I had to be more careful about what I was eating. Unfortunately, that dropped me down to 2050-2100 calories--and given that my basal & lifestyle numbers are around 2900 according to fitday, you can see the problem there; plus I walk 1-2 (usually 2) miles a day and workout for about 30 min. as well. (I am 26, male, 5'10", and of medium build, trying my best to increase from 120-123 lbs.)

Anyway, not to ramble. I am still trying to work through all of this along with past issues--mainly a long past ED history--which complicate things. But, for me, a superb aid to dealing with the IBS has been meditation, specifically (Buddhist) insight meditation. I can really see how stress triggers my IBS, and I also find it a good way to catch myself knotting up and so let it go. I still have my stressful obsessions, of course, and trying to juggle all the food balls is a major one. But so it goes, right?

Thank you again, and I look forward to chatting with you more.

Be well.
-Justin

#180192 - 05/19/05 06:03 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I love the way you express that: knotting up. Yes, I can totally relate. I too am constrictive by nature. Best wishes. Breathe completely and with the Universe.

Wind (Kate) IBS-D. Full of knots and gnarls. Some mornings I spend loosening up my chords! Here's to harmony! Sometimes I yawn so deeply that I have to sit on the toilet.
Sometimes, I swear there's a phantom lurking in my colon! Just kidding. But I really do breathe from the bowels, the gut.

#180214 - 05/19/05 08:02 PM
retrograde

I'm sorry to hear about your ED history - there are quite a few people on these boards that are dealing with similar pasts. Again, I wish you the best of luck with your weight gain goals. By workout do you mean weight training? If so that should probably really help. And keep trying to get as much protein as you can.

I've found a lot of success with meditation too, and yoga. I try to get it in every morning. Visualization too, like you mentioned - picturing the 'knottingness' (so to speak ) in your stomach and just letting it go... I've never done them but I think that's kind of the path that the hypno tapes (the ones you can buy on this site) follow, a lot of visualization techniques for learning to *control* your IBS.

#180244 - 05/20/05 05:03 AM
Ghost

Dear Wind,

I can relate back with you. I get the joy of both C and D, and when I am not one or the other extreme my stomach is usually pretty testy--with a lot of the good old wind!

One thing I found that helps when the gas is bad--and this may seem weird--is to do a sort of headstand. I lay on my back, bring my legs straight up into the air and push against the floor with my arms, so that I am resting mostly on my shoulders perpendicular to the floor. Gas wants to rise, of course, so this gives it an easier route to its exit point--rising the RIGHT way now! If it still stays stuck, moving my legs around and bring them back down so my knees are by my head seems to work it out. And no, I do not have any pictures to demonstrate.

Be well.
-Justin

Headstands/shoulderstands.... new
      #180481 - 05/21/05 10:38 AM
retrograde

Quote:

One thing I found that helps when the gas is bad--and this may seem weird--is to do a sort of headstand. I lay on my back, bring my legs straight up into the air and push against the floor with my arms, so that I am resting mostly on my shoulders perpendicular to the floor. Gas wants to rise, of course, so this gives it an easier route to its exit point--rising the RIGHT way now! If it still stays stuck, moving my legs around and bring them back down so my knees are by my head seems to work it out. And no, I do not have any pictures to demonstrate.

I do shoulderstands (yoga) for the same reasons

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/shoulderstand.asp

(there's also the yoga headstand, but I have yet to master this)

Re: Headstands/shoulderstands.... new
      #180728 - 05/23/05 05:39 AM
Ghost

Dear Laurel,

Ha! In all my studies of yoga I never came across the shoulderstand asana. I never knew I was actually "doing yoga" to help my gas, since I just sort of stuck my body up in the air one day when I was about at my limit with it. Go figure.

If you EVER master that yoga headstand, let me know--I will have to send you a congratulations card!

Be well.
-Justin

Haha... will do! -nt- new
      #180772 - 05/23/05 10:30 AM
retrograde

#180848 - 05/23/05 08:56 PM
hanaleni

Reged: 04/27/05

Thanks for the link: "three yoga asanas alone will keep the body in perfect health - the Headstand, the Shoulderstand and the Forward bend."
I agree with the quote, but never did master the headstand - very intimidating.
The other two are great for moving that gas (or bm) along. Another thing I do when I wake up in the middle of the night is firmly massage my tummy. I mean knead it like dough. I can feel the hard parts of my intestines and I focus on them. It really helps.

Re: Hearty warming breakfast, lots of room for variation new
      #180850 - 05/23/05 09:09 PM
hanaleni

Reged: 04/27/05

I've been having something similar to this every morning for the past week. Making muffins is mor time consuming. I use 1/4 c Oat Bran in 1 c cold water. Microwave about 2 mins. then add about 3/4 c stewed fruit. Sprinkle with flax seed. This makes a large bowl of cereal and is very filling and quick. I proceed that with a glass of hot lemon water, then a glass of hot lemon water with acasia.
Have to agree with Justin. This sight is the greatest.

#180952 - 05/24/05 11:30 AM
retrograde

Hi Hanaleni! I do the abdominal massage thing too when my stomach is all tied up in knots with gas and bloat, like really getting in there with my fingertips and pressing things around - works wonders.

Yum, that sounds good too! (and welcome, btw!) -nt- new
      #180953 - 05/24/05 11:31 AM
retrograde

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4651

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review