All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Birthday cake?!?
      #170775 - 04/18/05 06:34 AM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

What kind of cake does everyone make for birthdays? Since we can't have the gooey yummy frosting from a can?

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birthday cake?!? new
      #170778 - 04/18/05 06:50 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Have you tried the peppermint fudge cake? It's so good. I'm not really one for frosting, but do a search on icing and frosting -- I know there have been some safe ones posted. The peppermint fudge cake is made in a bunt pan, and I bet you could get creative and fill the hole in the middle with safe pudding or ice cream (from Heather's cookbook). Or you could put a potted plant in it, a la My Big Fat Greek Wedding ...

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#170807 - 04/18/05 08:35 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I second the peppermint fudge cake, I made it for my bf for his birthday, and he loved it. He's not a fan of icing/frosting so it worked. I though love frosting....I recommend the seven minute frosting in the recipe index, it's tasty!

You could also buy an angel food cake if you don't want to have to make anything! Maybe throw some safe canned fruit like peaches on it to make it tasty? Or you could ice it with the seven minute frosting....have fun!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

another angel food cake suggestion... new
      #170984 - 04/18/05 04:31 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if thats the path you are going: put frosen berries in the center of the cake, refrigerate overnight and then serve- they will have melted and much of the juice been absorbed into the cake... also- melting chocolate chips, and marshmallows together with a bit of water will make a yummy icing for peppermint fudge cakes or any other cake...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#171523 - 04/19/05 02:06 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

My absolute favorite is swirled cherry cake. I don't ice it with anything, it's so good on its own! You could sprinkle it with powdered sugar to make it more attractive. Just be careful if you have problems with HFCS. I don't know whether or not there's any in the pie filling. But this recipe has never bothered me, and it's so easy and tasty!

Oh, and I third Heather's peppermint fudge cake. Yum!!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#171559 - 04/19/05 03:33 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't had a birthday cake in years. But one of my favorite easy cakes is to just use a Duncan Hines cake mix (they're vegan), and when you prepare it, use applesauce for the oil and egg whites for the eggs. It comes out a little flatter and slightly more dense than usual, but it doesn't have that weird fat-free-cake texture.

I almost never frost it, either (I prefer a dollop of Cool Whip), but Seven Minute Frosting is probably the most versatile recipe. Check the recipe index - I think there's a recipe for it in there under "desserts".

I'm also all about the peppermint fudge cake... and also, if you have Eating for IBS, the chocolate-applesauce bread bakes nicely into cakes, if you'd rather do without mint.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1752

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review