All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is a sweet potato the same as a Yam?
      #158413 - 03/08/05 03:03 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have only been able to find yams and have some great sweet potato recipes so I am curious if they are the same.

Sorry - I'm sure this sounds like a super ridiculous question...but I gotta know LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is a sweet potato the same as a Yam? new
      #158416 - 03/08/05 03:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Not ridiculous. Frankly me and everyone is mixed up with the yam thing. I have heard that they label them backwards here on purpose. I call sweet potatoes the larger orange ones and use those for any and all recipes. One day the store was out of them and so I bought the smaller yellower things and they were not good at all- hard and tough. The big orange ones are what you want to use. If you order baked sweet potato at a restaurant that is what comes. I hope this makes a little sense.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#158426 - 03/08/05 03:35 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Pretty much any kind you find in north american grocery stores are going to be sweet potatoes, though they sometimes incorrectly label them yams. There are two varieties of sweet potatoes - one orange fleshed and one yellow fleshed. Sometimes they display one as sweet potatoes and the other next to it as yams, but they're really both sweet potatoes, just different varieties.

It's really one of those cross-cultural mistakes made way back - 'real' yams are actually from a totally different family as sweet potatoes and are pretty much only grow in Africa and some parts of Asia. 'Real' yams have thick black skins with white flesh, are really hard and often bland and dry - oh yeah, and they're HUGE (up to 100 lbs! )

Moral of the story - in North America, the two words (yam and sweet potato) are pretty much interchangeable. Even if we do have it all wrong

Ok that's your produce/history lesson for the day! lol

#158485 - 03/08/05 07:03 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Thanks so much!!! I was thinking I was some kinda idiot because I couldn't find a sweet potatoe LMAO

Thanks girls!!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 544 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1002

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review