All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone know about papayas...
      #157224 - 03/05/05 07:14 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

What does a ripe papaya look like? Green or yellow? I don't know which one to use!! xx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone know about papayas... new
      #157288 - 03/05/05 11:45 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't know much about papayas really. I thought I was allergic to them for years. But I know there are 2 different kinds of papaya- green kind and orange kind. My store has the big orange ones sometimes and little green ones other times. I just go by the softness test- if you can press it in it is ripe. You might want to search online for info. They don't have papayas in the store here until summer.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thank you... new
      #157295 - 03/05/05 12:36 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I picked up an "offer" from the local supermarket and it was "eat me / keep me" one of them was ripe and the other wasn't - but I couldn't work out which one was which!! But I did squeeze them and guessed - thankfully got it right!! Thanks again x

#157446 - 03/06/05 09:29 AM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

Papayas should be picked ripe but they aren't, they pick them green. A lot of the time they will not pick them so green that they will have a chance to ripen. Sometimes they will never ripen. Those you can cook with but don't eat them raw. Pick a fruit that has some yellow or orange color (no black spots). That tells you it is ripening. I like to pick the hard ones and let them ripen on my counter. Soft ones in the store are usually bruised. It takes a few days to 10 days depending on how ripe it already it. When it gets a little soft to the touch, it is ripe! The seeds can be eaten on a salad! I have never eaten them, though. The larger oblong fruits are the best! You can get them almost year round at Sam's.

Del

#175410 - 04/30/05 11:13 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Yeah, but has anyone figured out a good way to CUT the darn things?

#175555 - 05/01/05 04:56 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Get the big red ones--they're the yummiest. Generally they're green/yellow spotted on the outside. The little ones just aren't as delectable and succulent as the bigger ones. One really big one yield about 4-5 cups diced. I think papaya is my favourite fruit on the planet!

Re: ripeness. Hmmm...I usually go by smell. Not too too yellow. Wait until it yields to a tiny bit of gentle pressure, i.e. the way a mango has a little "give."

#175557 - 05/01/05 05:04 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I usually slit them into two canoes, after removing the two ends and then scoop out the seeds. ( Note: the seeds are delicious on salads...for a little spice. Papaya seed dressings. ) After I do this I often quarter them and then peel/dice/chop...drinking any juice that drips. Note...papaya is really good for protein digestion, bloating, etc. It's really gut soothing. And it's awesome for your skin. One of my favourite desserts is papaya puree/papaya sorbet. If you want it sorbet just chill it in the freezer. Sometimes mixing it with a little raspberry puree swirled in is neat contrast. A little fresh ginger in the puree is really good, too. Lime juice is quite complimentary. It's also a great salsa base.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 284 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2742

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review