All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kidney beans
      #128277 - 12/07/04 06:31 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

So, I took Michele's idea of adding kidney beans to sauce for pasta with an extra protein boost, now that I am trying to build muscle... I came out with crunchy beans! Totally unedible. I boiled for two minutes than let soak for an hour like the package said, than when they weren't done, I let them soak overnight, still nothing. I knew I shoulda bought canned, but anything canned has so much extra sodium
Any tips? Am I missing something here?

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kidney beans new
      #128293 - 12/07/04 07:18 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

dry beans!

my specialty- for really mushy soft ones- I do the long way, otherwise you can drain water 3 times in 12 hours in a crock pot on low... I do 24+ hours for mushy beans for recipes that require mashing... put them in in the AM, change water when I get home, change again before bed, and again in the AM if I'm not going to take them out of the pot when I get up... rinsing well each time...

lower gas content due to water changes and a sure way to cook them well. otherwise they really need to be soaked for 24 hours in water once its brought to a boil witht hem in it!
Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#128302 - 12/07/04 08:00 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Sheri; I use the cannned kidney beans all the time. I pour the beans into a collander(seive,strainer) and just rinse them until the water is clear. They are soft and if cooked long enough mushy. Take care Sue

#128365 - 12/07/04 09:43 AM
Sheri01

OooOOoohhhh... mushy! SOunds easy on the system... how would I cook them? Boil them? Since I am going to add them to a bottled sauce, there is really no cooking involved in that, even though I heat it up on the stovetop.
Thanks!

--------------------
-Sheri

#128369 - 12/07/04 09:50 AM
Sheri01

That sounds like the best way to cook them, lower gas content sounds great! But, I do not have a crock pot , but Christmas is coming up! Do they make really small crockpots? I don't need something expenisve or fancy, and I only cook for myself. Oh, and even storage space in my efficiency apt kitchen is VERY limited. COunter space... forget it!
The thing I still don't understand is that I brought the beans to a boil for two minutes, than soaked for almost an hour and they weren't done. So, I went out to the movies, and by time i came back they STILL weren't done. The next morning they still weren't done. I came home from work that day and they still weren't done. I came home from the gym late at night and they STILL WEREN'T done!!! That was well over 24 hours.... Could I have injured them by boiling them too much? I just remembered I boiled them AGAIN when I came back from the movies...
Thanks!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1223

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review