All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cookies
      #126892 - 12/02/04 05:07 AM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

Has anyone tried making sugar cookies and substituted the dangerous ingredients? What would need to be substituted and how would that work (how much is used)?
Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cookies new
      #126918 - 12/02/04 07:19 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Cookies are nearly impossible to make safe, unfortunately. The problem is that what's usually substituted for fat in baked goods is applesauce. That works beautifully for cakes, muffins, and quick breads, but it doesn't work *at all* for cookies - it screws up the taste and texture.

You're better off forgetting about trying to modify a cookie recipe, and instead look for safe cookie recipes that have been posted on here - check the recipe index, and do a search (search for "cookies" and "biscotti"). Good luck!

I agree in general but... new
      #127095 - 12/02/04 02:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Cooking Light has had some ok recipes. I have one in this month's new issue that might be okay. It had 22% fat and that includes the icing! Unfortunately the recipe is not on the website yet and it is too long to type it up (the computer gives me a headache lately -which is bad news for a writer ) So I will post it along with a bunch more from this issue as soon as they are updated. I also have this recipe which is delicious! but has more fat- 31% if you use diet margarine that might be lessened.

Basic Icebox Sugar Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons stick margarine, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
Cooking spray

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a bowl, and set aside. Beat margarine at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add vanilla and egg white, and beat well. Add flour mixture, and stir until well-blended. Turn dough out onto wax paper, and shape into a 6-inch log. Wrap log in wax paper, and freeze for 3 hours or until very firm.
Preheat oven to 350°.

Cut log into 24 (1/4-inch) slices, and place slices 1 inch apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on wire racks.

Yield: 2 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)
CALORIES 59 (31% from fat); FAT 2g (satfat 0.4g, monofat 0.8g, polyfat 0.6g); PROTEIN 0.7g; CARBOHYDRATE 9.6g; FIBER 0.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; IRON 0.2mg; SODIUM 50mg; CALCIUM 2mg;
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1997

Chocolate Icebox Cookies

Rolling the dough in turbinado sugar gives the cookies a sugary edge. Turbinado sugar is a coarse, blond-colored sugar with a delicate molasses flavor; look for it in your grocery's baking section.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons stick margarine, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
Cooking spray

Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; set aside. Beat margarine at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add vanilla and egg white, and beat well. Add flour mixture, and stir until well-blended. Turn dough out onto wax paper; shape into a 6-inch log. Wrap log in wax paper; freeze 3 hours or until very firm.
Preheat oven to 350°.

Roll log in turbinado sugar. Cut log into 24 (1/4-inch) slices; place 1 inch apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire racks.

Chocolate-Peppermint Variation: Substitute 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract for the vanilla extract.

Yield: 2 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)

CALORIES 61 (31% from fat); FAT 2.1g (satfat 0.5g, monofat 0.8g, polyfat 0.6g); PROTEIN 0.8g; CARBOHYDRATE 9.8g; FIBER 0.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; IRON 0.4mg; SODIUM 51mg; CALCIUM 3mg;
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1997

If there was only a way to increase the calories that would decrease the fat percentage- OMG what am I saying? I don't normally want to increase calories!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Try this one new
      #127145 - 12/02/04 05:11 PM
little suzy

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: Maine

Over thanksgiving break I tried the Double Ginger Cookies from this site (i think they were in a pretty recent post on the recipe thread) and they were a big hit, even with the non-IBSers in my family. I would just omit the ginger to make them sugar cookies, and i think it would probably be pretty good. Of course, they're also awesome with the ginger if you like that taste

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 793 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1149

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review