All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need last minute advice on broccoli!
      #125057 - 11/23/04 07:42 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I am rushing around last minute adding lots of different foods to my menu for thanksgiving, I was only gonna make food for me, but now I am convinced I want my family to have a *real* thanksgiving, it has been so long that we did, and all together! We for the first time in awhile are well, sorta, getting along.
My mother is unreliable when it comes to putting together a feast, we usually have to wait til eight or later to eat and everything comes from a box or a can (it has been like five years or so since we had real mashed potatoes, she makes instant )
Well, anyways, to get to the point, what can I do with broccoli? It is the only vegetable everyone eats, and I am making sure they eat ATLEAST one veggie that is not from a can or smothered in cheese. I do not even know if they ever had fresh broccoli for dinner, either . It is sad, it really is.
What can I do to the broccoli? I was thinking of steaming it, but what can I put on it? They won't eat it plain. I need something kinda simple, too. It doesn't need to be safe for me, I have plenty of veggies in my stuffed squash, but as a rule I will not cook with animal products.
I know this is a tough one but any help would be greatly appreciated, this holiday means a lot to me right now and I want everything perfect. I kinda feel like I may be able to get my family back together and enjoy each others company, as over-zealous as that sounds
I also want to prove myself to my parents on how much I have matured and grown.
I know this is alot of weight to put on broccoli, but it makes sense to me!
thanks and happy thanksgiving everyone!

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need last minute advice on broccoli! new
      #125102 - 11/24/04 04:55 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

Steam it in vegetable broth. I use broth all of the time and Nature's Seasoning and it turns out really good. Trust me I know how you feel. Good Luck.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

if you have a double layered steamer... new
      #125105 - 11/24/04 04:57 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I put brocolli or broc and Cauliflower in the large bottom basket and carrots int he top, then steam it all, some of the sugar from the carrots naturally sweetens the rest and its really easy.. just water.. I get asked to bring this when others host and just put the 2 sets in the baskets in the pot and add water and put on stove onsite.. never failed to get eaten yet!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Thanks Amie and Lovejoy new
      #125117 - 11/24/04 06:04 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I don't have a double layered steamer (I am not sure if I would know what one was if it fell on my head, I am still REALLY new to this cooking stuffs)... souns so simple and yummy though!
veggie broth is an EXCELLENT idea! i have just bought a ton of it for other stuff, so I will have plenty left over to use it.
thanks again

--------------------
-Sheri

my fancy steamer new
      #125217 - 11/24/04 11:54 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

is actually my pasta pot (8 qt with a liner basket) with an extra basket that fits into it at the top as well.. so I can steam in both layers or do pasta below and steam above.. we use it primarily without the extra basket for pasta, but also a lot at holidays for veggies because its one pot and can hold a TON!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Need last minute advice on broccoli! new
      #125575 - 11/26/04 07:46 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

It's obviously too late now, but I enjoy steamed broccoli with a bit of soy sauce with a pinch of brown sugar, sprinkled with sunflower seeds or slivered almonds.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 493 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1330

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review