All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I have a couple questions?
      #117155 - 10/29/04 09:56 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

What is risoto? Where can I find it? I baught some sweet potatoes and I know they take a while in the oven is there any suggestion on time in the microwave?

thank you for any suggestions!
Fembeth

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have a couple answers! new
      #117181 - 10/30/04 03:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Risotto is a rice dish made by essentially slow-cooking a certain kind of rice - arborio - on the stove. You cook it by adding broth a cupful at a time, and stirring it until the broth is absorbed... then you add another cup, and so on. The end result is creamy and absolutely delicious. As far as I know, though, it's one of those things that you have to make from scratch, and it does take a little while - I've never seen a risotto mix in a box.

Sweet potatoes in the microwave: Scrub but do not peel. Pierce potatoes to allow steam to escape. Arrange about 1" apart in a circle on a paper towel. Microwave 8-10 minutes on high until tender.

Risotto in a box new
      #117245 - 10/30/04 09:05 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I actually have seen Risotto in a box, but I've never tried it! I don't remember the brand, but it was in the Natural Foods section of the grocery store near the coscous and rice pilaf mixes.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Risotto in a box new
      #117364 - 10/30/04 05:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have too and I have seen recipes for it without all the stirring but I am a purist! It is ok to take the trouble if you just relax and watch tv while stirring or something!

Also I eat microwaved sweet potatoes for lunch all the time with butter spray, S&P and sometimes a little brown sugar. It is pretty easy, nutritious and filling (oh and cheap too).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Risotto in a box new
      #117423 - 10/31/04 12:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can also stir some and then dump the rest of the bouillon in to simmer. The idea with risotto is that you cook the flavours into the rice itself.

Btw, try risotto with regular rice for a different sensation with more "bite". I love it.

Re: I have a couple answers! new
      #117633 - 10/31/04 10:31 PM
jacqui

Reged: 10/18/04

If you have a rice cooker you can also make a wonderful risotto very easily. Try using arborio rice for a wonderful creamy texture. I have been eating risotto like crazy the past few weeks. Some of the best combinations were throwing in shrimp and asparagus -- yum!

Jacqui

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 792 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1585

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review