All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
By any chance anyone from or have lived in Italy???
      #98821 - 08/17/04 06:10 AM
carey28

Reged: 07/09/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Hello all! this is my first time in the living room, usually I'm hiding out on the How to Eat board! My boyfriend and I are researching moving to Italy next year and for one I would love to talk to someone who lived there about how easy/difficult it is go survive IBS there Also, would love a pen pal to ask some questions to about the culture ect... Thanks to all who have any advice!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: By any chance anyone from or have lived in Italy??? new
      #98827 - 08/17/04 07:49 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome to the LR...glad to have you here!
I've never lived in Italy and don't have any plans to in the future...I just wanted to tell you how envious I am of the fact that you are possibly going to. I think Italy would be such a lovely place to go and visit (or live for that matter). I hope you are able to find someone to help you out and that if you do decide to go, that things go easily for you. I know how difficult moving is, but to another country?? WOW!!! Good luck!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#98835 - 08/17/04 08:19 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Carey! Welcome to the Living Room. Can't help you on Italy, but we have someone in Spain, Janey. She might help. And several people from the UK who may have been there.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#98840 - 08/17/04 08:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Nope, but I'd love too! Food wise, I'd say it's great (and I've only been to the north and Sardinia). Pasta, chicken, fish, breads... They do like their meat though and a lot of stuff can be a bit oily, but there's loads of friendly foods. Not sure about meds and doctors....get a good supply and learn the language fast!

Good luck and have fun!

#98871 - 08/17/04 09:28 AM
carey28

Thanks for the insight You have travelled to Italy then? I haven't ever been there so I am a bit nervous but also excited. When I moved to London from the states a few years back I had at least visited there once before hand! I am a little nervous about what I've read about the overall culture there--how business is done etc...sounds like there is a bit of corruption concerning workers rights etc....and I have heard that its a really good idea to learn the language and fast. So if we do make it there I will take a course right away! Anyone know of someone living in Rome or Siena that could, ya know, give me a job?? ......ahhww, well, it was worth a try....

#98879 - 08/17/04 09:52 AM

Unregistered

Hey there! I posted a couple weeks ago about going to Italy actually. I just got back from there a month or so ago! I went to study abroad and I lived in Florence for just over a month and travelled up and down Italy too. I was VERY nervous about not being able to eat anything or just being sick all the time. But I NEVER had an attack while I was there! And I'm not going to lie to you, it was VERY hard to resist all of the gelato, but really everywhere I went I always found LOTS of fresh yummy fruit and TONS of bread. It wasn't hard to find plain chicken at restaurants either. They speak such great english too that you can easily ask for things plain. Unfortunately there is no rice or soy milk over there and I wish that I'd brought some with me. I went grocery shopping a lot and they have a very nice selection of IBS-friendly things actually. There was a great deli down the street from my apartment and I could always get really nice turkey and stuff to make sandwiches with. And when in doubt there is an endless amount of bread and plain pasta over there-and restaurants were always more than willing to accommodate. Their food over there is so pure too. And there is an endless supply of bottled water there too (just makes sure that you get it with no gas! - or NOT frizzante). I hope this helps you a little. Let me know if you have any other questions at all because I would love to give someone the information and reassurance that I wish I'd had before I went there! You can email me too if you'd like. And I am VERY envious of you! I LOVED it there and hope someday I could move back at least for a year or so!

#98881 - 08/17/04 10:03 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Hi, I lived in Italy as a consultant for a little under a year. Please feel free to email me with any questions at nickyvb@yahoo.com. I'd be more than happy to try to help!

--------------------
nicky

#98894 - 08/17/04 11:50 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Carey,

Hi there! Welcome to the living room. I have not been to Italy but have lived in Spain for 9 1/2 years. For the most part I am fine here although I do tend to worry about going out to eat because here they always serve fried potatoes and cook everything in lots of olive oil. They never serve rice or potatoes any other way except fried. The other thing I worry about here going out is that they are not as concerned with bathrooms as we are in the states. On the positive side there is always good fish to eat and lots of bread which is always served with every meal. I have traveled around Spain and usually bring safe foods with me to eat along the way. Most of the time I don't have any problems.

I don't mean to sound negative but these are the issues that worry me most of the time. We love living here. The way of life is very relaxed. I do find though that most of the foods that everyone talks about on the boards are unavailable here.

Like I said I have not been to Italy so I don't really know what life is like there. I am assuming it is somewhat similar to living here. I would definitely recommend learning the language. Probably one of the first things you will learn is how to ask for the bathroom.

I have heard from friends who have lived in Italy that theft is a problem. That is also a big problem here but you learn to not leave things in your car or your yard and to always lock your windows and doors.

Good luck making a decision. I have to say that I was scared when we first talked about moving over here but I have not regreted it at all.

--------------------
Janey

#98905 - 08/17/04 12:27 PM
carey28

Thank you to all!! Nicky and Brittania I will definitely be getting in touch if you don't mind! good to hear that eating won't be too much of a problem and I am so excited to learn about the good (and bad!) of living there, ....a new adventure---yaaaaeeaay!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1062 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review