Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Bladder and Kidney Infection Advice
      #94042 - 07/28/04 06:54 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Hoping to get some advice here. Without going into too much detail I ended up in emerg again this morning with excruciating lower right abdominal pain. Because I had no fever and my white blood count was ok, they don't think it's my appendix, they actually think that it may be Crohn's, so they just said to hang in for my GI appointment (which is tomorrow).

However, they did a urine dip and found white blood cells there, so they gave me a prescription because they said it looked like the beginning of a UTI. This surprised me because I've had many a UTI in the past and I don't have any of the classic symptoms (urgency, burning, stinging etc).

Anyways, I went to get the script filled, adn the stupid doctor gave me something I'm allergic to (a sulpha derivative!). So the pharmacist had to call the hospital and they couldn't get ahold of that doctor, but a more senior doctor spoke with him, reviewed my chart and said he felt like the other doctor jumped the gun in prescribing antibiotics and I should wait it out.

So, I'm pumping the cranberry juice just in case, but I was just wondering, has anyone ever had a UTI that causes pain in the lower right quadrant? Or maybe could it be a kidney infection? I do have some back pain...I'm just so confused...I can't believe they prescribed me something that my chart clearly said I'm allergic to...it's so frustrating!

Any advice as usual would be great,
Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bladder and Kidney Infection Advice new
      #94043 - 07/28/04 06:59 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wow Kelly, that sounds frustrating!!! Hang tight. Tomorrow will be here before you know it. I've had plenty bladder infections in my time, but none with any abdominal pain. Urinary tract infections are different though. I don't know what the symptems are for that, sorry. Maybe you could look online. Good luck!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#94081 - 07/28/04 09:06 PM
Heather from Ontario

Reged: 07/28/04

First of all thank you to Heather & Co. for all your information. My doctors are diagnosing me as having Diverticulosis, yet my G.P. prescribed Zelnorm. After being on it for only one week I wound up in the hospital for 3 days with extreme abdominal pain and vomitting. I have been prescribed an antibiotic as if I have an infection??? I have been in & out of the hospital with severe abdominal pain over the past 5 yrs. or so and finally about 3 yrs. ago my G.P. told me I had Diverticulosis. No other information as to what causes it or what I can do to avoid another attack. Last summer I fell & fractured over 20 bones (I have a bone disease~Osteogenesis Imperfecta) I was prescribed pain killers. With all your information on your website that I have to tried to absorb I don't recall seeing any relation to pain medication (Tylenol 3 with Codiene, Robaxisil 3 1/2 with Codiene and/or Time released Morphine patch). Through the many of fractures I have had over the years, being prescribed a ton of pain medication it has become a 'constipation' problem for me. Last Nov'03 I was rushed into Emerg with severe abdominal pain. Woke up 4 weeks later with a colostomy attached to my hip ~ my colon ruptured. For the Grace of God go I...with a 50-50 diagnosis from the surgeon, I pulled through. In April'04 I had the colostomy reversed but have had 2 major abdominal attacks that wound me up in the hospital. On June 4th from eating peanuts and just last Sunday July 25th after having BBQ'd red meat 2 evening meals in a row and having an unpeeled apple and shredded wheat. I was on Zelnorm, drinking at least 3-4 bottles of water per day,along with oj and v8. I avoid pain medication that has codiene and with all the fractures I have had have now developed Osteoarthritis in which I take Tylenol for Arthritis which has been okayed by my G.P. After all that I have gone thru my G.P. does not know enough about I.B.S. or Diverticulosis. I have now made it my mission to educate myself and to find as much as I can. I will be purchasing your book and finding ways to de-stress my life. If there are any support groups in the Toronto/Mississauga area I would appreciate hearing from you. I hope Heather & Co. can give me some answers to some of my questions as I like so many others is frustrated and scared. Sincerely, Heather from Ontario

--------------------
Heather from Ontario

To Heather from Ontario new
      #94092 - 07/28/04 10:03 PM
Vicam

Hi Heather,

What a story ... sounds like you've really been through a lot. I just wanted to tell you that you may want to post this in the Eating for IBS forum instead of the Living Room, you'll likely get more helpful advice there. And start it as a new post...do you know how to do that? When you're in the forum, just go to the button near the top right that says post and it will let you start a new thread, rather than responding to someone else's...that way more people will see it.

One thing I can tell you from my own experience is it sounds like you've at least been on the right type of painkillers for someone with such abdominal trouble, the ones you want to avoid are NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatorys) as they can worsen a lot of stomach and intenstinal problems.

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice from others on this board...I know for sure there is one other person who has had a diverticulosis attack, so hopefully she can help you in that department.

Take care,
Kelly

#94096 - 07/28/04 10:52 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hey Kelly,

I had a similar sort of thing last March, except I was passing blood and had the chills. The doctor assumed it was a UTI and prescribed antibotics - I also am allergic to sulphur and peniscilin.

He took a culture which went to the lab and it turned out that I had protein in the urine, but no infection. They surmised then that I probably had passed a kidney stone! I also had excrutiating pain in the lower right side and back ache.

Don't know if this helps.

Regards,

Bev

Thanks Bev! new
      #94099 - 07/28/04 10:56 PM
Vicam

That does help, any information is better than no information. They've got me pretty hopped up on painkillers so who knows, maybe it is a kidney stone! They said they would have it cultured in the lab but that takes more than 24 hours normally, so if anything more serious turns up, they're going to get back to me.

Take care,
Kelly

#94122 - 07/29/04 06:49 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Kelly,
I'm sorry you're continuing to have such a time of it! As for the kidney infection - my diagnosis would be you have something else! Unless the kidney infection was in the very, very beginning stages - you would KNOW you had one - there would be no question! Before we figured out what was causing it, I used to get urinary tract infections almost every month because I was sensative to the condums my husband was using. I am on the pill now - so no more of that. But with the UTI's, twice the infection worked its way to my kidneys. The pain in your bladder stops for about a day and then the chills kick in. Your fever will sky-rocket and while it is going up you will shake uncontrollably and feel exceedingly cold. It will break in buckets of sweat and weakness and then within less than an hour go up again. Kidney infections get rapidly worse until you get strong antibiotics. Let's pray you don't have one - but like I said I don't think you do!
Whatever it is though, I hope you get better soon!
Min

Kidney stone maybe? new
      #94238 - 07/29/04 11:54 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Once I had excruciating lower back pain that radiated to the lower right front abdomen. No pain urinating or passing blood, but I went to the emergency room and they did all kinds of tests and found kidney stones by doing a CAT scan. They gave me pain pills and a little gadget to strain my urine through to catch the stone when it passed so they could send it to the lab. The pain pills made me sick so I just took Advil and after a day the stone finally passed....it was so small to cause sooo much pain and it had a "barb" on each side of it. The lab found that it was mostly calcium and so I had to quit taking calcium supplements...I was taking Viactive chews. That was a couple years ago and haven't had trouble since. I just drink lots of water and cranberry juice.

Nuggett new
      #94384 - 07/29/04 10:43 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the suggestion. I just got a call today saying the urine sample cultured positive for a kidney infection, but it does make me wonder if maybe I did pass a stone as well and that's why it hurt so much. It still hurts now but at least I've got painkillers which are helping Thanks for your info.
Kelly

Vicam..... new
      #94435 - 07/30/04 07:33 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better with the pain killers. When I had my kidney stones they tested me for a bladder infection also. The doc said that as the stone passes through the system it can cause abraisions (sp?) which can cause bladder infections. So mabe that is what happened in your case. Get well soon!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3482 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2340

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review