All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
We bought a parakeet.....
      #93732 - 07/28/04 04:17 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

My nine year old has been wanting a bird for the past couple of years. We kept saying no to him. Saturday while fishing he manage to stick a hook through his finger. We spent a couple of hours in the Emergency Room.

On the way home my husband spotted a bird cage next to someone's garbage. He has no shame picking up other people's garbage. The bird cage came with all the fixings and we decided Brandon can have a bird.

The parakeet is blue and just a baby. He is really cute and very spunky last night. I'll post pictures after my husband loads pictures into the computer.

We are still trying to come up with a name. Brandon wants Bowie, my husband wants Pete and I don't care. Anybody have good ideas for a name?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: We bought a parakeet..... new
      #93740 - 07/28/04 05:42 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I LOVE birds! I've had birds my whole life. Although my husband just made me give my cockatiel away and I still cry about it if I think about it.

Parakeets are a lot of fun, and much cleaner than cockatiels. I think you should let Brandon name it! All parakeets are named Pete - tell your husband to be more creative - lol.

--------------------
~Cara~

#93763 - 07/28/04 07:17 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I like Bowie! I agree with Cara - let Brandon name him. Parakeets are terrific - I keep thinking I might get one one of these days, but I'm afraid of what the cats would do. LOL! Congrats on the new pet!

PS - I don't really have any qualms about picking up other people's trash, either. Good for your husband!

Parakeet Names new
      #93818 - 07/28/04 08:51 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Ouch! Your poor son - how's his finger doing?

I'm with the others in letting your son name him. Bowie's a cute name, but if you're still looking for other names, how about Polly?

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#93921 - 07/28/04 01:18 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

We have three parakeets, one blue and white, one purple and white, and one white and white.
My son named them all.
We also have 6 zebra finches and 1 green cheecked conure named Mab and 1 Jenday conure named Percy.
My kids named all the birds.
We also have cats. They grew up with the birds and know to leave them alone. Especially since the conures bite when the cats get too brave.
My green cheecked conure actually flops around the bottom of her cage to tempt the cats to "come and play". When they do, she bites their toes. This has taught all of the cats to stay away from the birds cages.

#93949 - 07/28/04 02:12 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

My green cheecked conure actually flops around the bottom of her cage to tempt the cats to "come and play". When they do, she bites their toes. This has taught all of the cats to stay away from the birds cages.

I love it!!! LOL!!

I agree with everyone else. You should let your son name the bird.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by BeckyT (07/28/04 02:13 PM)

#94109 - 07/29/04 05:03 AM
BarbaraS

Wow your house must always be noisy! Birds singing never bother me - actually it is relaxing to listen to.

Your purple and white parakeet must be beautiful. I have never seen a purple parakeet. Percy must be a riot to watch in your house. I love to see a cat get bit after being teased.

Bowie is the name!!!!! new
      #94110 - 07/29/04 05:08 AM
BarbaraS

My husband finally gave in - I heard him call the bird Bowie yesterday.

Brandon's finger is doing fine and he tells the story to anyone who will listen to him.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 416 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review