All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
GRRR!!! My cat keeps getting up on the refrigerator.
      #93252 - 07/26/04 04:32 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

This is a new one as of 10 minutes ago, and it's driving me nuts!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GRRR!!! My cat keeps getting up on the refrigerator. new
      #93273 - 07/26/04 05:47 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

It's cuz it's warm...our cat sits ontop of our bedroom tv for the same reason. LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#93279 - 07/26/04 05:51 PM
RachelT

Actually, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but I got soooo mad at her the 1st time, now it's become a game. She enjoys getting me upset...ALOT!!! I've had to chase her away, I kid you not, about 20 times since I posted that.

PS. It's quite warm in my house right now, so I'm pretty safe to rule out the fact that she's going up there because it's warm up there. Thanks for the thought though!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Haha! new
      #93286 - 07/26/04 06:01 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I shouldn't be laughing, I'm sure you find it really frustrating.

My cats are morbidly afraid of their cat carriers (they're no dummies - they associate them with unpleasant things like the vet and interstate moves!), and when I get the carriers out for any reason, they bolt and hide. Well, the one day, in my old apartment, I moved the carriers just so I could clean out the closet, and of course the cats scattered. Couldn't find Phaedra for anything. 4 or 5 hours later, I finally found her... on top of the fridge, INSIDE a mixing bowl, behind the blender. Thankfully, that never got to be a habit. Now if only I could keep her off the counters...

Re: Haha! new
      #93289 - 07/26/04 06:07 PM
RachelT

LOL!!!
Quote:

on top of the fridge, INSIDE a mixing bowl, behind the blender too funny!!!

Well, it got to be so bad this time, that she's on a time out, in her room. Gosh, she is so bad that I have to lock her up every night. Otherwise, she'll eat ALL my other cats food, play with all of my jewelry, try to get at my glasses on my night stand, eat my hair, lay on my neck, bite my feet, the list goes on and on and on and on. What am I gonna do with her?

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#93302 - 07/26/04 06:30 PM
atomic rose

Time-outs in her room, ROFL!! Just like a kid! That's too freaking funny!

Quote:

What am I gonna do with her?

I don't know, but every time my cats start acting like that, I remind them that cat-fur slippers would be WONDERFUL on a cold winter night. (And they ignore me, as always.)

They grow out of a lot of that mischievousness. Really. Just keep reminding yourself of that.

#93325 - 07/26/04 07:02 PM
RachelT

I hope so. I just let her out now. We do this kind of thing almost on a daily basis.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#93359 - 07/26/04 09:39 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Try a water gun. They hate thatand it seems to work, although then it becomes a game of not getting caught verses being good. For the bad stuff like biting, Mags will get a stern "Hey" and if she doesn't stop she'll get a smack on the hide (enough to startle but not to hurt) usually the "Hey" will get her to stop being bad.

#93362 - 07/26/04 09:49 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I must be an lazy cat owner because it really wouldn't bother me if my cat went on the top of the fridge. I have nothing up there that he can't get into. He pretty much has free rein of the house. Including the cupboards WHEN THERE IS NO FOOD ON THERE and he knows the difference. When the food comes out that cat is no where around.

I always found if I let him do whatever he wants, he really doesn't want to do anything LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

I found one of my beagles ..... new
      #93398 - 07/27/04 05:38 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

standing in the middle of my kitchen table Sunday. I was shocked! And he has this horrified look on his face like "How in the heck do I get down from here?"

I think I know what enticed him up there. I had bought one of those suet cakes to hang in the backyard for the birds. It had peanuts in it, and he loves peanut butter. The chair was pulled out from the table, and I guess he thought he'd help himself to it.

Thank God I caught him before he ate that thing and got sick in the house!

Bad dog .... bad dog. ... but it could've been worse, it could've been 2 beagles on my kitchen table.

#93468 - 07/27/04 09:53 AM
RachelT

I think my main problem with my female cat is that I have been spoiled with my male cat. He's always been soooo mild tempered and easy going. He has NEVER done anything bad. Then I go and adopt this female, and all she does is get into trouble. That and she's mean to my older cat. He's almost 15 yrs. and she's only 10 mo. I understand that kittens are alot of work, but oh my!!! This one is the extreme! I don't hate her or anything, although sometimes I'd love to wack her one, I just need to vent sometimes. Thanks for all the responses!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#93493 - 07/27/04 11:02 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Cats are natural climbers........so give her something else to climb like a carpet covered tower with hiding places and put double sided sticky tape on top of the fridge, or tape baloons that have been blown up. One pop and they are out of there.

Mine are to old to climb now but when they were young I always wanted a "cat walk", all around the tops of the rooms so they could get up there and survey the rest of the world down below.

--------------------

#93496 - 07/27/04 11:11 AM
RachelT

I really like the balloon idea, I think I'll give it a try. The cat walk is a good one too. Have to think about that one! Thanks!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#93515 - 07/27/04 12:12 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I just got a book called "Cat vs. Cat" by a feline behaviorist, and her suggestions are working with our cats so far. Might be worth picking up from the bookstore or the library.....

--AC

#93525 - 07/27/04 12:41 PM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

I love watching my cats play and get into things. One would lay on a chair covered with a quilt and bat at everything that passed him by. The youngest used to jump on the fridge but he doesn't anymore. What he still does is sit on tables and experiement with the laws of gravity. He will push something to the edge and watch and fall and then find something else. I have banned him to the bathroom at night because he plays most of the night and he also needs special food and eats constantly but I can't let the other cats get at his food.

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

new pics new
      #93627 - 07/27/04 05:07 PM
RachelT

Thought I'd share some more recent pics of "the trouble maker" so you could get a taste of what I have to deal with every day! I've referred to her before as "Bella"...it's short for Annabelle. i've been told that she fits her name perfectly!
Here she is getting into my bathroom garbage [image][/image]
Here she is IN the garbage [image][/image]
getting into my homemade kleenex box [image][/image]
actually in the box [image][/image]
Saved the best for last...here she is trying to get on the counter. Look at the determination in her eyes! [image][/image] [image][/image]

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by BeckyT (07/27/04 05:43 PM)

Re: new pics new
      #93630 - 07/27/04 05:11 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

lol Becky those are GREAT! Your cat does look like a little troublemaker. Mischievious but cute as a button!

#93632 - 07/27/04 05:19 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Calico....She's beautiful. I have a 5 month old kitty and she's grey, black and brown tiger striped. Trouble, trouble, trouble. I know what you mean. Mine loves to go up to the toilet paper holder and just unravel it. Then carries it in her mouth from room to room. I have these long strands of TP all over the house. Hey doesn't she know how needed toilet paper is in our house!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#93635 - 07/27/04 05:22 PM
RachelT

Hey Lisa! I'm very fortunate in that department. However, she's too smart for her own good, I think it's just a matter of time. (fingers crossed)

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Oh my god... new
      #93637 - 07/27/04 05:26 PM
atomic rose

She is the cutest thing EVER!! I know you can't possibly stay mad at her... and I'm sure she knows that, too!

What a little devil!

#93655 - 07/27/04 06:43 PM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

She sure is a beautiful color!!!

#93696 - 07/27/04 08:26 PM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

She is a doll!

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

Cute pics! new
      #93712 - 07/27/04 09:56 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Wow, you've got quite a little trouble-maker on your hands don't you? I sympathize, my guy is getting into everything! we've had him almost a year and he was finally getting better, but now that we're moving I think it's stressing him out or something, and he's going mental again. He's tearing into all the boxes and just being a pain, but they're worth it aren't they? And your cat seems very photogenic

Kelly

too cute new
      #93715 - 07/27/04 09:58 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

...and you're a mighty fine photographer to get such great shots!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#93728 - 07/28/04 03:40 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

AWWWW...Becky even though she is a trouble maker you have to still love her. She is cute with personality!!

What a stinker..... new
      #93744 - 07/28/04 05:58 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Becky,

How cute! I love the one with the one eye peeking out of the kleenex box. Animals really add a lot to our lives, don't they....even when they are little "stinkers".

I was looking for my husband's work-out shirt this morning and guess where I found it? My dog had taken it to sleep with him and it was in his bed!! I told Rusty "no, no, we don't take daddy's shirt to bed." And then......I gave him a great big hug.

Barbie

--------------------

#93781 - 07/28/04 07:52 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

When I first glanced at your post I thought it said "cat keeps getting up IN the refrigerator" and I was instantly delighted cause my cat Cosmo (the eternal chowhound) does that.
If you don't want her up there, put something that smells bad to her. If you do want her up there, put a nice warm towel or blanket and she'll make it her bed. I had a cat who spent his old age on top of the frige; only came down to eat and use the box.

#93792 - 07/28/04 08:07 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Becky,

She is so cute. I love cats but they can be little stinkers when they are young. My cat is 9 1/2 years old and all she does is lay around sleep these days. The other evening I heard the wild chirping of a bird and turned the corner just in time to see the poor little thing in my cats mouth. She still surprises me every now and then. I didn't think she had the energy to hunt. I felt so bad for the bird.

--------------------
Janey

#93866 - 07/28/04 10:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Adorable kitty! I currently have 2 cats right now but have had 3 others in my life over the years. When my coco died 3 years ago, I was so devasted, I cried for weeks!

I think someone mentioned about the squirt gun?!! Thats what I have used in the past to "train" my kitties. Over the years though, I have gotten pretty mellow about where I allow them to go. They pretty much have full run of everything, I just don't allow them up on the counters. Its amazing how much a part of the family they become!

I remember when I first moved into my house with coco about 5 years ago. There is a laundry shot in the bedroom. It doesn't have a door on it and its lined in aluminum like stuff and goes right down to the basement, it ends with about a 5.5 foot drop onto a concrete floor. The very first day in the new house, of course coco was checking everything out and all of a sudden I hear this MEEOOOOOW from teh bedroom. She had jump into the shot as was backwards about half way down just scrabbling to get a grip with this terrified look on her little face. I felt SO bad, she was just out of reach. She kinda scooby-do scrabled for a minute or so, than just gave up and went slidding down. I ran to the basement but she had already landed, not sure if she landed on her feet or not but she was ok, just a little mad and scared!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Poor Coco, but how hilarious! -nt- new
      #93897 - 07/28/04 12:28 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2413

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review