All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need advice from our tattooed gals.... (Casey, Jen, etc)
      #88007 - 07/08/04 05:35 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

It finally is happening. I am getting my first tattoo. I am trying to formulate the image I want in may head to explain to a tattoo artist to draw. I have done TONS of research at the library and online into pictures of what I want to incorporate. BTW- it might be helpful to know that I want a phoenix. It started off as wanting a symbol, but after lots of research into this magnificent bird, I now want a full color pic of my creation (not drawing, though- not very good!).
But, alas, I know nothing of getting a tattoo.
well, I looked up info on about.com, and it was helpful, but the advice said I need to grill the artist and the studio pretty much.
Is just going to a reputable, busy place enough? I don't want to insult anyone by questioning thier credentials.
Do I just walk in to a studio and say "Hey you, i need you to draw somehting up for me!" Is calling first more appropriate or will they be annoyed?
I am getting severe social anxiety thinking about going there.
Since I have been somewhat of a recluse the last year + , I don't really have anyone to ask these things (that I want to know I'm getting it done)
Any advice on what to look for and expect would probably ease ALOT of my anxieties and make things go better!
I am determined, so it will happen! I love the idea of my tatoo already, I know in 10-20 years I will look at it and think 'wow, I am so glad I did that' , rather than 'why o why did I do that??!!'

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Suggestions! new
      #88015 - 07/08/04 06:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Don't worry... it's not all that bad. Start off by going to the studio you're thinking of, and just having a look around. Most shops will have portfolios out - books of photographs of work their various artists have done. Look through them, check out the quality of the work. Next, kind of look around the shop itself. Does it look clean? Nobody's lobby area is going to be spotless, but if there's trash laying around, that's a bad sign.

Don't be afraid to ask questions... and definitely don't be afraid to tell them it'll be your first tattoo. If they know that, they'll likely volunteer a lot of the information you'll need to know. Besides which, you'll get a good feel for the "attitude" of the place if you chat someone up a little. Personally, I'll walk out of any studio that I feel isn't treating me with respect as a customer.

By the way, the worst tattoo I ever got was at the busiest shop in town. Getting lots of business does not necessarily make them GOOD. LOL You definitely won't insult anyone by asking questions - although seeing a portfolio should give you a really good idea of what an artist is capable of.

Studios differ on how they handle custom work. They might want to draw up the design and have you come back. Some artists will draw something up on the spot. Be prepared, with photocopies/sketches/printouts that will help them draw exactly the design you want.

I don't know if this even really answered your questions... I'm just kind of rambling, hehe.

Re: Suggestions! new
      #88021 - 07/08/04 06:32 PM
Sheri01

That was a big help! I guess I just feel a little scared..LOL
its funny that i am more afraid of the social interaction of getting the tattoo, rather than the pain or permamentcy( sorry can't spell- took my dictionary to work!)
Thanks! I am so excited
BTW- money is not an issue (it's gonna last forever!), but how much do people about spend for them? (I'm not planning on getting one all that big)

--------------------
-Sheri

Awesome!! new
      #88030 - 07/08/04 06:49 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

A phoenix sounds really cool! I would have no clue how to start drawing one either, though. It'd probably end up looking like a gigantic blob! And don't be nervous about tomorrow. I'm sure everyone's nervous about their first tattoos! These people are puttting something on your body that's gonna stay forever, so don't be too scared to talk to them about it, because you don't want them to mess up! I'm not trying to make you any more nervous, but I want you to be ok with talking to them. Just think of them as friends Anyway, I hope you have fun, and I'm sure it's going to be lovely!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#88032 - 07/08/04 06:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ahh, the pain is temporary anyway. Do you know where you want to get it? (On your body, I mean - not the shop, heh.)

Shops usually charge an hourly rate for custom work, and typically have a half-hour's charge as their minimum. (For example, if a shop charges $150/hr for custom work, "shop minimum" would be about $75.) A lot of it depends on how detailed your design is, but you can get an idea of the cost when you show the pictures to the artist and explain what you want. They can typically ballpark it for ya.

My most expensive tattoo was $300, and worth every darn penny. I'm not sure how big you're talking, but my lily tattoo is about the size of my hand, and quite detailed, and it was $150.

All this tattoo talk has me wanting another one. Heh.

Re: Awesome!! new
      #88037 - 07/08/04 07:12 PM
Sheri01

Thanks jess- not tomorrow though! LOL- I may go visit s shop as early as next week though.. but now that you mention it, maybe I should just bite the bullet... but I have to find a way to print all the designs I have found off of the web, and I want them in color (i don't have a printer yet)
maybe I can con the BF into letting me use his...
It si hard deciding on a look: in phoenix myth, it can range from looking like a heron to a peacock to an eagle/falcon. i think mine will look falconish.

--------------------
-Sheri

#88040 - 07/08/04 07:17 PM
peaches

Yeah it's funny because my friend has a phoenix fetish - including pictures up all over her wall! There's this one in particular that I like, that's very colorful and it looks like it's preparing to fly away. I love it! So I hope yours is just as pretty as that one!

--------------------

#88041 - 07/08/04 07:20 PM
Sheri01

That is hardest part #2 (besides walking into shop)
It may depend if i go with a "swooping" or "rising" design.
I am leaning towards "swooping" on my shoulder.
"Rising" would be on my lower back.
I am haaving trouble deciding. I am so indecisive. Lower back would be cool, cause I could show it off more, my lower back is always showing, my pants can never stay all the way on it seems and my shirts always come up short, even though I rarely wear midriffs. This may be a problem work wise ( I am an office gal), even though we are casual (very casual), I would be the only one with a tattoo, so it may become something people complain about.
I also could not put it on display that way, very easily. On my shoulder, that would show when I wear my skimpy tank tops. But, what about fall and winter? It has to stay locked away the majority of the year??
Bottom line is: it is for me and no one else, so "showing off" isn't very important, I need to be happy #1. But, what is the fun in not being able to show off your cool tattoo when you want?

--------------------
-Sheri

#88043 - 07/08/04 07:22 PM
Sheri01

I hope so too! I finally think I have accumulated enough pics to base a design on... but they are SOOO hard to find! i spent so many nights online and an hour and a half at the library... I even got a stalker there! it was so weird.. He would follow me over to each aisle and pretend to read whatever book was next to me.
How come I never attract the normal ones? (not that it matters- very happy with my BF!)

--------------------
-Sheri

#88053 - 07/08/04 07:36 PM
peaches

A stalker?? Yikes!! Next time maybe you should take your bf with you

I like the idea of it on your lower back. I think it'd be really awesome to have it rising up like a real bird! Plus, you really could show it off and look great! Where do you work at? If it's a place where it would be considered "distracting" and you might lose your job over it, then maybe you should go with your shoulder? But if you don't plan on working there your entire life anyway, who cares what they think? But it's definitley your choice! Don't let anyone or anything prevent from doing what you want to do! I mean, it's your body, and it's going to be with you forever whether they like it or not! And look at Jen - she has one on her wrist and none of her coworkers care (that we know of) So just do whatever you feel like and find the prettiest picture out there!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1629 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1122

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review