All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need advice from our tattooed gals.... (Casey, Jen, etc)
      #88007 - 07/08/04 05:35 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

It finally is happening. I am getting my first tattoo. I am trying to formulate the image I want in may head to explain to a tattoo artist to draw. I have done TONS of research at the library and online into pictures of what I want to incorporate. BTW- it might be helpful to know that I want a phoenix. It started off as wanting a symbol, but after lots of research into this magnificent bird, I now want a full color pic of my creation (not drawing, though- not very good!).
But, alas, I know nothing of getting a tattoo.
well, I looked up info on about.com, and it was helpful, but the advice said I need to grill the artist and the studio pretty much.
Is just going to a reputable, busy place enough? I don't want to insult anyone by questioning thier credentials.
Do I just walk in to a studio and say "Hey you, i need you to draw somehting up for me!" Is calling first more appropriate or will they be annoyed?
I am getting severe social anxiety thinking about going there.
Since I have been somewhat of a recluse the last year + , I don't really have anyone to ask these things (that I want to know I'm getting it done)
Any advice on what to look for and expect would probably ease ALOT of my anxieties and make things go better!
I am determined, so it will happen! I love the idea of my tatoo already, I know in 10-20 years I will look at it and think 'wow, I am so glad I did that' , rather than 'why o why did I do that??!!'

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Suggestions! new
      #88015 - 07/08/04 06:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Don't worry... it's not all that bad. Start off by going to the studio you're thinking of, and just having a look around. Most shops will have portfolios out - books of photographs of work their various artists have done. Look through them, check out the quality of the work. Next, kind of look around the shop itself. Does it look clean? Nobody's lobby area is going to be spotless, but if there's trash laying around, that's a bad sign.

Don't be afraid to ask questions... and definitely don't be afraid to tell them it'll be your first tattoo. If they know that, they'll likely volunteer a lot of the information you'll need to know. Besides which, you'll get a good feel for the "attitude" of the place if you chat someone up a little. Personally, I'll walk out of any studio that I feel isn't treating me with respect as a customer.

By the way, the worst tattoo I ever got was at the busiest shop in town. Getting lots of business does not necessarily make them GOOD. LOL You definitely won't insult anyone by asking questions - although seeing a portfolio should give you a really good idea of what an artist is capable of.

Studios differ on how they handle custom work. They might want to draw up the design and have you come back. Some artists will draw something up on the spot. Be prepared, with photocopies/sketches/printouts that will help them draw exactly the design you want.

I don't know if this even really answered your questions... I'm just kind of rambling, hehe.

Re: Suggestions! new
      #88021 - 07/08/04 06:32 PM
Sheri01

That was a big help! I guess I just feel a little scared..LOL
its funny that i am more afraid of the social interaction of getting the tattoo, rather than the pain or permamentcy( sorry can't spell- took my dictionary to work!)
Thanks! I am so excited
BTW- money is not an issue (it's gonna last forever!), but how much do people about spend for them? (I'm not planning on getting one all that big)

--------------------
-Sheri

Awesome!! new
      #88030 - 07/08/04 06:49 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

A phoenix sounds really cool! I would have no clue how to start drawing one either, though. It'd probably end up looking like a gigantic blob! And don't be nervous about tomorrow. I'm sure everyone's nervous about their first tattoos! These people are puttting something on your body that's gonna stay forever, so don't be too scared to talk to them about it, because you don't want them to mess up! I'm not trying to make you any more nervous, but I want you to be ok with talking to them. Just think of them as friends Anyway, I hope you have fun, and I'm sure it's going to be lovely!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#88032 - 07/08/04 06:56 PM
atomic rose

Ahh, the pain is temporary anyway. Do you know where you want to get it? (On your body, I mean - not the shop, heh.)

Shops usually charge an hourly rate for custom work, and typically have a half-hour's charge as their minimum. (For example, if a shop charges $150/hr for custom work, "shop minimum" would be about $75.) A lot of it depends on how detailed your design is, but you can get an idea of the cost when you show the pictures to the artist and explain what you want. They can typically ballpark it for ya.

My most expensive tattoo was $300, and worth every darn penny. I'm not sure how big you're talking, but my lily tattoo is about the size of my hand, and quite detailed, and it was $150.

All this tattoo talk has me wanting another one. Heh.

Re: Awesome!! new
      #88037 - 07/08/04 07:12 PM
Sheri01

Thanks jess- not tomorrow though! LOL- I may go visit s shop as early as next week though.. but now that you mention it, maybe I should just bite the bullet... but I have to find a way to print all the designs I have found off of the web, and I want them in color (i don't have a printer yet)
maybe I can con the BF into letting me use his...
It si hard deciding on a look: in phoenix myth, it can range from looking like a heron to a peacock to an eagle/falcon. i think mine will look falconish.

--------------------
-Sheri

#88040 - 07/08/04 07:17 PM
peaches

Yeah it's funny because my friend has a phoenix fetish - including pictures up all over her wall! There's this one in particular that I like, that's very colorful and it looks like it's preparing to fly away. I love it! So I hope yours is just as pretty as that one!

--------------------

#88041 - 07/08/04 07:20 PM
Sheri01

That is hardest part #2 (besides walking into shop)
It may depend if i go with a "swooping" or "rising" design.
I am leaning towards "swooping" on my shoulder.
"Rising" would be on my lower back.
I am haaving trouble deciding. I am so indecisive. Lower back would be cool, cause I could show it off more, my lower back is always showing, my pants can never stay all the way on it seems and my shirts always come up short, even though I rarely wear midriffs. This may be a problem work wise ( I am an office gal), even though we are casual (very casual), I would be the only one with a tattoo, so it may become something people complain about.
I also could not put it on display that way, very easily. On my shoulder, that would show when I wear my skimpy tank tops. But, what about fall and winter? It has to stay locked away the majority of the year??
Bottom line is: it is for me and no one else, so "showing off" isn't very important, I need to be happy #1. But, what is the fun in not being able to show off your cool tattoo when you want?

--------------------
-Sheri

#88043 - 07/08/04 07:22 PM
Sheri01

I hope so too! I finally think I have accumulated enough pics to base a design on... but they are SOOO hard to find! i spent so many nights online and an hour and a half at the library... I even got a stalker there! it was so weird.. He would follow me over to each aisle and pretend to read whatever book was next to me.
How come I never attract the normal ones? (not that it matters- very happy with my BF!)

--------------------
-Sheri

#88053 - 07/08/04 07:36 PM
peaches

A stalker?? Yikes!! Next time maybe you should take your bf with you

I like the idea of it on your lower back. I think it'd be really awesome to have it rising up like a real bird! Plus, you really could show it off and look great! Where do you work at? If it's a place where it would be considered "distracting" and you might lose your job over it, then maybe you should go with your shoulder? But if you don't plan on working there your entire life anyway, who cares what they think? But it's definitley your choice! Don't let anyone or anything prevent from doing what you want to do! I mean, it's your body, and it's going to be with you forever whether they like it or not! And look at Jen - she has one on her wrist and none of her coworkers care (that we know of) So just do whatever you feel like and find the prettiest picture out there!

--------------------

#88056 - 07/08/04 07:40 PM
atomic rose

This is going to sound silly, but for any tattoo that I've had trouble deciding the placement of, I'll cut out a piece of paper in about the right shape and size (roughly), doodle on it a little, and tape it where I think I want it. LOL! It sounds silly, but sometimes seeing something actually ON the body makes a difference and the decision is suddenly a whole lot easier.

All of my tattoos except for my horrible first one are where I can see them... I figure I get them for me, and I want to enjoy them the most. They're pretty much all in places where I can easily show them to other people, too, though. It's definitely part of the fun of getting a tattoo!

How many do you have, Casey? -nt- new
      #88058 - 07/08/04 07:45 PM
peaches

--------------------

8 so far... new
      #88066 - 07/08/04 08:07 PM
atomic rose

A spiral on the back of my neck, a bluebird on each side of my chest, a lily on my left arm, a star on each wrist, a floral thing on my right leg, and the word "of", which I got as part of the Skin project (and I hope I got that link right, haha), on my left ankle.

My first tattoo experience was so awful that I swore I'd never get another one. HA!

Neat!! Haha, that vow didn't last! lol -nt- new
      #88070 - 07/08/04 08:20 PM
peaches

--------------------

Re: Need advice from our tattooed gals.... (Casey, Jen, etc) new
      #88124 - 07/08/04 11:23 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I had heard alot about the place and guy I went to and I had seen tattoos that he had done. I went in there a couple of times before hand and looked around. Cleanliness was a big thing for me and I watched him while he worked, everything he did was very sterile and clean, wearing gloves, wrapping everything he would touch in plactic before working, opening new everything and then disposing of it after he was done and the ink in little tiny tops that he threw away after he used them. I talked with the guy and found that he has been doing tattoos for 23 years.

I don't think anyone who is good and has a good rep will mind you coming in and asking them questions. If they do mind then find some place else. Afterall you are the customer and it is important for you to get what you want and how you want it since a tattoo is forever.

Good Luck!

Janey

--------------------
Janey

Tattoos new
      #88131 - 07/09/04 04:45 AM
PammySue

Reged: 05/12/04
Loc: Southern Indiana

I would also suggest visiting the studio before hand. I went with my husband when he got his first one. I wasn't with him on the second one, and that one didn't turn out as well. The third one that he got covered up the second one. While he was trying to decide what would cover up the tattoo, I watched the artist and his work. We spent hours there and asked lots of questions. I ended up getting my first tattoo that day on my right ankle. I didn't think that it would bother anyone, but my boss was offended. I have to keep it covered while I'm at work. (I didn't see that one coming at all because I work with all men and one guy has about three tattoos on the lower parts of his arms and he has to wear a long sleeve shirt now). This past February I went with my husband as he got his fourth tattoo and I ended up getting my second on my left ankle. I think that it really helped watching my husband go through it first. I knew that if he could do it that I could do it (the cover-up tattoo of his took 4 1/2 hours to do). Is your boyfriend into tattoos? Maybe you guys could go together for moral support.

Re: PammySue new
      #88133 - 07/09/04 04:50 AM
Sheri01

Thanks for the advice. i am thinking about bringing the BF for moral support, but I'd rather do it on my own. This is something I want to be MY memory, not mine and his. Even if we wind up togther forever. That tattoo itself has lot of meaning to me and is very special. I feel like it is something I need to do alone, kinda hard to explain.
I am proably just being silly, though!
maybe I can make the exception to myself to take him with me to check it out, then go alone to get it done ??

--------------------
-Sheri

Thanks Janey... new
      #88134 - 07/09/04 04:51 AM
Sheri01

... I'm getting alot less nervous to do this now!

--------------------
-Sheri

#88136 - 07/09/04 04:53 AM
Sheri01

I've been looking in the mirror alot and visualizing it!

in the end, I decided it is not that big of a deal, cause if I love it enough, I can always get a second in the other place LOL

--------------------
-Sheri

yay! tattoos! new
      #88159 - 07/09/04 06:37 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i agree with Casey. as strange as it sounds, get the size and shapes you've decided on and mock them up, cut them out and put them where you're considering. believe me, it can help a lot. i am altering my little ladybug and i had a GREAT design planned out. well, when i held it up to my shoulder, it was a lot larger and busier than i really wanted. i'm so glad i didn't take it in and have them ink it without "testing it" myself! i've changed the design and now i'm sure that's what i want.

i also did the same with the Om on my wrist. i had a little Om at work and would hold it up to my wrist all the time, just to make sure i knew exactly where i wanted it (off center). i ended up getting it much bigger than my test piece, but i'm really happy with it. the placement was the important bit there, for me.

as for the studio-- i'm a little like you. the interaction was more nervewracking. i felt out of my element when i went in! i was a little worried they'd judge me (i'm so egocentric!), but they were as nice as can be.

go in and look at the portfolios, like everyone else has mentioned. ask them which are pictures they designed (custom work) so you can see. it's like any kind of art- the artists are going to have different styles. you need to find the artist whose style is the best match with you. believe me, they want you to be happy with their work!

another tip, and this may make you a little anxious, but here goes: if you see someone this weekend and you admire his or her tattoo, ask where they got it done! i PROMISE YOU, unless you've picked a bad time or the person is particularly grouchy, you will get an earful! i haven't met anyone with an arty tattoo who doesn't like to talk about it!

ooh! a tattoo! how exciting! don't rush it, take your time. i still say the planning is a large part of the fun!

--------------------

Re: yay! tattoos! new
      #88219 - 07/09/04 09:58 AM
Sheri01

Quote:

as for the studio-- i'm a little like you. the interaction was more nervewracking. i felt out of my element when i went in! i was a little worried they'd judge me (i'm so egocentric!), but they were as nice as can be.

That sounds like my problem alright! I am sure that once I get over the "being a newbie" to the situation I'll fit right in. Maybe taking the BF would be helpful, he's went to a couple before with friends, but has no tats of his own.

Thanks for all the support I am getting!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4026 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1122

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review