All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
cat lovers??
      #86447 - 07/05/04 12:14 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was just wondering if anyone else is a cat lover?? I have two cats...one elderly (15yrs) and the other 10 mos. My oldest, is the sweetest, most wonderful cat in the world. My youngest, well lets just say, there's a reason the good Lord made her cute.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cat lovers?? new
      #86451 - 07/05/04 12:20 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

LOL about your younger cat. Yeah we have quite a few cat lovers here. I just lost my elderly furbaby to kidney disease two months ago. Here's her picture, just before she died.

oops, be right back, have to reboot

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

I'm anxious to see your picture new
      #86455 - 07/05/04 12:25 PM
RachelT

Hello Laura:
How old was your "furbaby"? My family has lost a few cats to Renal failure. One in particular was on saline injections for 3 years before he had a stroke. (sniff) I'm really hoping I can keep my oldest around for many more years. He's such a joy to be around, and we have such a wonderful connection. I call him "Bubba Boy".
By the way, I responded to your 6 month milestone in IBS diet.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by BeckyT (07/05/04 12:30 PM)

Re: I'm anxious to see your picture new
      #86458 - 07/05/04 12:33 PM
LauraSue

She was 15. She acted "old" the last year, but wasn't really sick until like two days before she died. So at least she didn't have a long illness.

I can't post a picture right now because the photobucket.com site isn't working. I'll try again later.

Ooh, thanks for the reply to the other post. I'll go read it right now!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Laura! new
      #86459 - 07/05/04 12:37 PM
RachelT

Hi again...
I was wondering if you could explain to me, how to post a picture. I'm actually quite new to the whole "computer" thing, and haven't figured that one out yet. Much appreciated.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Laura! new
      #86462 - 07/05/04 12:46 PM
LauraSue

I'll try. First you have to find a place on line to host them. It can't just be on your computer. Photobucket is one, there are others as well.

Once you do that, just copy that website address where your picture is, then start a new post or reply here. Click in the box where you write the message, then click on the link that says Image right under the words Instant UBB Code just below here. Paste the website address and click okay. Then click on Continue to post the message and it should be there.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

One more question Laura... new
      #86463 - 07/05/04 12:53 PM
RachelT

I'm sorry to be a bother, and I hope this isn't a dumb question...I don't understand how to find a host. Does it have anything thing to do with all of the items listed in the box that says "Instant UBB code"? As I said before, I'm new at this. Really. I just got my 1st computer a couple of months ago.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Definitely a cat lover! new
      #86464 - 07/05/04 12:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm an animal lover in general, but I have almost always had at least one cat. ALWAYS. I lived a little over a year in an apartment where I couldn't have pets, and it was the most miserable year... my house isn't a home without a pet.

Anyway. I currently have 2. Here is Phoebe, trying to learn how to use a fork:

And here is Phaedra, just being cute:

They aren't "twins" - they're pretty easy to tell apart in person - but yes, they're from the same litter, and are both about 3 years old. I got them when they were just a few months old... in fact, it was 3 years ago today. I agree - there's definitely a reason the Lord makes 'em cute. If one is bad, try them in pairs. LOL!

Re: Definitely a cat lover! new
      #86466 - 07/05/04 01:00 PM
RachelT

LOL!!!!! "Bella", my little one, makes me crazy sometimes. No...almost all the time. She's ALWAYS jumping on "Bubby Boy", and bites him in the rear. Not to mention, getting into the garbage cans. She has her own little stash of garbage under the bed in the spare room that I have to CONTINUALLY clean out. GRRRR!!
I'd include pictures, but I'm still trying to figure out how.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

yep, yep, yep, with pictures! new
      #86468 - 07/05/04 01:12 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

We love all animals, but here is our kitty:

His name is Riley and he's 3 and a half. We got him when he was three from a rescue place. He's a Maine Coon, which is my favorite breed of cat. He's the friendliest cat you could ever meet. He gives kisses (with tongue) to everybody, including the dogs. He also likes to roam the house early in the morning yowling loudly about how happy he is its morning and he's alive. He's hilarious.

Re: yep, yep, yep, with pictures! new
      #86470 - 07/05/04 01:17 PM
RachelT

OK!!! I've gotto figure out how to post with pictures, dangit!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: yep, yep, yep, with pictures! new
      #86474 - 07/05/04 01:19 PM
chinagrl

Did you register to use Photobucket? if you go to www.photobucket.com you can sign up to host your pictures there. Once you do, you go through their process to upload photos. Then you can link to them on this site and we can see them!

Re: photobucket new
      #86475 - 07/05/04 01:24 PM
RachelT

How do I know that I can trust that website??? I'm kind of a paranoid person when it comes to my computer. I went there once already and chickened out.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: photobucket new
      #86479 - 07/05/04 01:34 PM
chinagrl

Ok, I'm not sure how photobucket works precisely, but the only way that a website can harm your computer is if you download a program from a site that contains spyware or a backdoor. Now, how I assume the site will work is that you will just be uploading photos onto their server. This means that they will have a built in FTP program which moves whatever files you tell it to to their server. Then they will host the photos for you, which means they will store them in such a way that allows them to be seen on the internet. You could harm THEIR server if you uploaded something with a virus, but I assume you aren't evil.

To be honest, the media has made the internet thing out to be way worse than it actually is. The biggest trap people fall for is responding to spoofed emails with personal information (meaning, doing things like responding to an email that appears to be from AOL and giving your password or credit card number to them). For the most part individuals will not be interested in breaking into your individual PC.

Hope this helps. If I haven't explained something well, let me know and I'll try again.

Thanks Chinagrl! new
      #86481 - 07/05/04 01:38 PM
RachelT

Actually what you said helps. I really want to show my "kids" to you guys so, I guess I'll try it out. Wish me luck! Thanks!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Chinagrl! - pics of the kids! new
      #86489 - 07/05/04 02:05 PM
RachelT

Ok...here are the kids:
this one is Bella - 10 mos and a terror! she's actually grown since this picture, and now has orange eyes. [image][/image]
this one is Bubba - 15 yrs and my little sweetheart!
[image][/image]

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by BeckyT (07/05/04 02:11 PM)

#86500 - 07/05/04 02:49 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I'm definitely one. If you haven't seen it, check out the 'post your pictures' thread a few days ago and you'll see a picture of my Mags (being held hostage by my roommates:) )

Re: Chinagrl! - pics of the kids! new
      #86521 - 07/05/04 04:07 PM
LauraSue

Oh, Becky!! Bella is just ADORABLE!!! She's so GORGEOUS!! And Bubba looks like a total sweetie pie, showing off his belly for the camera!

Okay, so I guess photobucket must be working now. I'll go link my poor old furbaby's picture. Boy do I miss her looking at all these cuties.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Terrapin new
      #86523 - 07/05/04 04:11 PM
LauraSue

Okay here's our good old granny cat three months ago, just before she died. Her name was Terrapin because she was a tortise shell. You can tell from her eyes that she wasn't feeling too good. She was curled up on our comforter that I folded in three for her so it was nice and soft for her poor old bones. She was 15. We REALLY miss her. (No kids, so she was it!!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Terrapin new
      #86530 - 07/05/04 04:24 PM
RachelT

What a sad face. (sniff sniff) When they get to that point, you just want to take them in your arms and magically take all their pain away. Do you have plans for any new furry members of the family??

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Chinagrl! - pics of the kids! new
      #86532 - 07/05/04 04:46 PM
chinagrl

Woo hoo! And a picture of you! Bella and Bubba are adorable! I've never seen a cat with orange eyes... when you get the chance you should post an updated photo!

Re: Terrapin new
      #86564 - 07/05/04 06:40 PM
LauraSue

Thanks, Becky. Unfortunately after we got her, my husband developed asthma due to a severe allergy to the kittycat. His allergist told him he had to give up the cat but he refused. So for over 10 years he's been taking three different meds a day to manage his asthma. I told him that once Terrapin was gone there was NO WAY I was allowing us to get another cat, because I don't want to lose HIM!!!

We've kinda been debating about a little dog, chihuahua or dachsund or pug, but given my fibromyalgia I'm kind of enjoying not having another being to look after -- I can barely look after myself!

So I think we're just going to have to vicariously enjoy everyone else's animal companions!!

Thanks so much for sharing yours! Our calendar this year is calico cats! Bella could have a future as a cat model!! But only if she learns to behave herself, right??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Omigosh! So cute! new
      #86568 - 07/05/04 06:56 PM
atomic rose

I just want to snuggle Bubba! And Bella DOES look like a terror! Tee hee.

LAURA!!! new
      #86569 - 07/05/04 06:59 PM
RachelT

At this point, if Bella behaves herself, it would be a miracle! Shocking, anyway.
Sorry to hear that you have no plans for a new kitty companion. Although, if you really longed for one, there are breeds that are "allergy friendly". I've been told that pure-bred Persians are hypoallergenic, meaning they don't have the same type of dander as most. (I have a cousin who has only Persians for that very reason.) I'm not trying to pursuade, but I thought I'd at least pass on the knowledge!
I have a little story to tell you since we're on the subject:
Bella discovered how to push the screen out of one of our basement windows the other day. I freaked when I saw no screen and no cats. When I went outside to find them, both were sitting together (another miracle) looking up at me with a look of surprise. Actually dumb-founded more like. I don't think either one knew what to do next.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by BeckyT (07/05/04 07:01 PM)

Re: Definitely a cat lover! new
      #86571 - 07/05/04 07:04 PM
RachelT

Hi Casey:
I have to say, your cats do look like twins. They're GEORGOUS!!! I had a black cat a long time ago. He was the "stud" of the neighborhood. (At that time we had outdoor cats. Never again.)

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Hi Chinagrl! new
      #86572 - 07/05/04 07:08 PM
RachelT

Hi Chinagrl. What a beauty. I love Main Coons. The look on Riley's face almost appears to be saying: "Yeah, I'm cool, and I'm georgous. Eat your heart out!"

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Pics new
      #86621 - 07/05/04 09:58 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Here are two pics of Mags when I first got her. she's much bigger now, but still pretty cute

Re: Pics new
      #86694 - 07/06/04 07:37 AM
RachelT

Oh my gosh!!! She is soooooo cute. Can you stand it??? Thanks for the pics JBI!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

gosh, your cats are GORGEOUS! -nt- new
      #86740 - 07/06/04 09:00 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Re: Pics new
      #86748 - 07/06/04 09:08 AM
LauraSue

Jamie, the first picture was an "awwww", the second is a "tee hee"!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#86770 - 07/06/04 09:43 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

We have two cats. The older one is one my husband adopted from the pound 10 years ago when he lived in Detroit:

And the other one we adopted from a no-kill shelter a couple of years ago - he jumped up on my lap and put his front legs around my neck, and I was a goner from that point on!

We volunteer at a pet shelter, and it's really hard sometimes to not go for our third kitty. Fortunately, we have a high adoption rate, and so temptations only last a week or two....

--AC

#86782 - 07/06/04 10:04 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I love all animals, but I always thought of myself as more of a dog person and it took a lot of convincing for me to decide to get a cat. I'm living in a small apartment and I really missed having an animal around, so I adopted a stray from a local shelter.

Well, let's just say he's like my pride and joy I've definately become a cat person! I never thought I'd warm so much to him but I really have, and he's such a little darling.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the pictures to post in the actual post, but here's a link to some pics of my cat:
http://groups.msn.com/VicamsPictures/shoebox.msnw

Edited by Vicam (07/06/04 10:05 AM)

#86786 - 07/06/04 10:09 AM
RachelT

Cute pics!!! Is he orange?? It's hard to tell, one picture looks like it anyway. I love orange tabby's!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#86787 - 07/06/04 10:10 AM
Vicam

Hey,
No, he's actually more brown and black, but he is adorable Our vet says he's a mutant because he's got so many extra toes (he's polydactyl) and an extra long tail, but we love him anyways.

#86789 - 07/06/04 10:15 AM
RachelT

That's wonderful. Sometimes the "odd" ones have the best personalities!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

AC! Such cuties! new
      #86798 - 07/06/04 10:42 AM
atomic rose

I had a hard enough time living with someone whose best friend ran an animal rescue (which meant that sometimes we fostered cats before they went on to adoption days)... I can't even imagine regularly volunteering at a shelter. I'd have to have a separate mansion for my 436843413 cats!

Re: AC! Such cuties! new
      #86825 - 07/06/04 11:25 AM
AstroChick

Quote:

I can't even imagine regularly volunteering at a shelter. I'd have to have a separate mansion for my 436843413 cats!

Well, you can prevent hasty adoptions by being on catbox duty right before going to the shelter...and then cleaning out the catboxes there! Our guideline is that the cat has to be there for at least 3 weeks before we consider adopting it. An even bigger barrier is that our old gal cat really doesn't like other cats (fights and hissing for weeks after we got our young tux guy), and DH would do almost anything to keep her happy!

--AC

Polydactyl cats new
      #86828 - 07/06/04 11:29 AM
AstroChick

What a cutie! Can he do anything with his "thumbs"? I knew a poly tabby once who could catch moths using his extra toes as an opposible thumb. Luckily, he is really an idiot boy, so he didn't try opening up cabinets or anything with his special talent.

--AC

Mine can open Cabinets! new
      #86908 - 07/06/04 01:43 PM
Vicam

It was so funny that you mentioned that because mine does open cabinets! It's very unfortunate because he seems to be quite bright and the mischief he gets into is just terrible.

He can catch bugs with his toes, but the cabinet and drawer opening is so annoying. We've had to get child locks for everything in the kitchen. And sometimes when I'm home by myself and in the bathroom, he'll want it, so he'll shove his paw under the bathroom door and "grab" it with the extra toes and pull until it actually opens! It's so aggravating but cute at the same time.

I wish I had better luck training him because then maybe I could put him to work for me!

Kelly

Re: Mine can open Cabinets! new
      #86910 - 07/06/04 02:00 PM
RachelT

Do you have a pic to share??

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

New pics!! new
      #87062 - 07/06/04 06:15 PM
RachelT

More recent photos of the kids:
This one is of Bella antagonizing Bubby Boy[image][/image]
And this one is of just Bella "lounging" around [image][/image]

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3388

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review