All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety and the hairdresser
      #81681 - 06/21/04 05:15 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I would like to go to the hairdresser and have my hair cut and colored, but I am afraid It would be someone new because I live in a new area and need to find someone. It is such a long time to sit in the chair and what if...? Any tips from anyone? I would like to avoid taking an Immodium but if I have to so be it. I am listening to the cds and am on anxiety meds. I need to update my personnel information so I can just refer people there. Thanks!!!

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety and the hairdresser new
      #81685 - 06/21/04 05:24 PM

Unregistered

Heather, do you have a good time of day when your IBS problems seem to mellow out? Like mid-way between lunch and dinner? Make your appointment for that time, a few days ahead, and be very careful of what you eat or drink and hour or two before the appointment.

A bathroom emergency is a bathroom emergency. Hopefully it would not come about. Maybe just take one Immod. tablet and eat IBS safe too.

Good luck. Finding a new and good hairdresser can be stressfull, but have fun....and thank goodness your not the hairdresser! Can you imagine being in the middle of putting bleach or color on someones hair and having a potty emergency with gloves covered in chemicals on your hands? YIKES!

#81687 - 06/21/04 05:29 PM
heather robin

That would be my luck! And then the poor person's hair would fall out!

--------------------
IBS-D

#81688 - 06/21/04 05:32 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi, I usually suss them out first. Go in, look at the products a couple of times, if the doors are left open, you can always hang about outside and listen to get a feel for the people.

As well, I'm upfront about my problem now. Maybe its age, but I don't care if they think I'm barmy or something, but I simply explain - with dignity, I hope - that I do at times have special needs and I tell them about IBS - and for me, celiac - and generally I get a good response.

People are interested in other people and mostly in a good way. If they think its funny or weird, that's their problem. However, I've only once lately struck this response from someone very young in a take-away shop. Perhaps because I'm handling it better - not embarrassed - or better able to communicate my problem, without getting emotional. (A mentally prepared script helps).

I do hope this helps. There is always immodium and plenty of soluable fibre beforehand. Give it a whirl and enjoy yourself!

#81728 - 06/21/04 08:05 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I'm more and more upfront with people now too. For one thing, the more we tell people the more they'll know and the better they'll get it. I figure every time I tell someone, I'm helping out someone else with IBS by educating this person.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#81774 - 06/22/04 03:49 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - I was the same as you. Back in March, I told my stylist about my IBS. This was only my third time going to her and I was in for highlights. Just the fact I was "trapped" in the chair for so long was killing me. So, I explained to her I had IBS and the anxiety of being "trapped" was making me nervous. Well, she was SUPER cool about it. She said at any time I could go, it was no problem. As soon as I told her - viola! The anxiety went away!

Good luck!

Mags--- back just in time! new
      #81775 - 06/22/04 04:12 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i was absolutely thinking of you when i read this post! i remember when you were so worried about going.

i am very upfront with people, too. i just plain don't care what people think and i figure it's much better to 'fess up and tell someone i have "stomach problems" or whatever than to end up with diarrhea in my pants in their chair! i figure they're happier that way, too.

besides, Mags is right- usually when i admit to having an "issue" my anxiety goes away (at least to a degree).

good luck!

--------------------

Such good ideas new
      #81951 - 06/22/04 11:41 AM
heather robin

I don't know why I didn't think about just telling the truth and speaking up. With people who are older than I am I don't have a problem, I am 30. As always I receive good advice on the message board!

--------------------
IBS-D

what's that about!? new
      #81952 - 06/22/04 11:44 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i feel stupid saying something like that to someone younger than i, too! (i'm 33)

maybe it's some kind of uncontrollable urge to fight aging by denying that things don't work!?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3256 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review