All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Medical question
      #81425 - 06/21/04 07:21 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

I post on a few different message boards on different websites.Just recently one of the women on the message board(its a stay at home mom website)had emergency surgery.She had a baby by c-section around Easter and she wasnt recovering like she should have been.She ended up in the emergency room with severe abdominal pain.They discovered that someone left a 12inch lap pad inside of her after her c-section and it ended up twisting around her small intestine,perforating it and they had to remove a section of her small intestine.They told her if it were any lower she would have needed a temporary colostomy bag.They told her she may have problems further down the line from this surgery,she didnt say what those would be.I was just wondering if having surgery like that would give her IBS for the rest of her life? I've had 2 feet of large intestine removed myself,but i also had IBS before the surgery,so i knew i would still have it after surgery too.She did say she had a bad bout of diahrea for a few days,but i would guess thats just her intestines trying to heal?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Medical question new
      #81426 - 06/21/04 07:23 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

no idea, hon, as to whether the diarrhea she experienced is IBS or just a direct from the trauma.

it has been reported in research (and validated by some people here) that intestinal trauma can be the beginning of IBS. now is that always the case? certainly not. in fact, i bet it's the minority result.

hope this helps a little.

--------------------

#81441 - 06/21/04 08:29 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

This poor woman!

I just had intestinal surgery, my doc told me that normally when he does the surgery (prolapsed intestine), he always removes a portion of the intestine (I think he said 2ft.also). With his IBS patients and this particular procedure, he never removes any intestine. This could cause those who have D, so many more problems. He tacked my intestine to my tail bone, the problem with this is, in some people the tacked portions can tear loose, thus, having to repeat......OH, I PRAY THAT NEVER HAPPENS!!

I was blessed to have my surgeon, he is the top COLORECTAL SURGEON, in Houston. Methodist Hospital, people come from all over the world to see him!!!! I worry for so many who have medical care like the lady you are talking about. She has been through an awful lot, having a baby to take care of on top of that.........prayers for her!!!!

#81444 - 06/21/04 08:32 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

One more thing, she needs to talk to her Surgeon, this diahrea needs to be addressed immediately, after having intestine removed, the last thing she needs is to be stressing that area!!! And let me tell you, it is very painful to have diahrea after this type of stress!!! OR, if he cant help her, her GI needs to be notified ASAP!!!!

#81550 - 06/21/04 11:17 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

She also has 2 other children.She has a 4yr old boy and a 20mth old boy,they were so excited to be having a girl with this last pregnancy.Her first 2 babies were vaginal births and unexpected complications resulted in an emergency c-section.Having never had surgery in her life ever,she had a really hard time with the pain of a c-section.Can you imagine 2 emergency surgeries within 4-5 weeks? Now she says the hospital had the nerve to bill her insurance company for this 2nd surgery to repair all the damage inside her body,the bill was $78,000. She and her husband are now contacting a lawyer for a lawsuit.I feel really bad for her because she is so stressed out,frustrated with her lack of ability to do simple household chores or even lift her baby.She's very emotional and is really suffering from post partum depression on top of it all.I keep emailing her and im trying to keep her spirits up.

#81665 - 06/21/04 04:45 PM
PammySue

Reged: 05/12/04
Loc: Southern Indiana

I had C-sections with both of my children. The first is really hard on you. It does take a little while to heal and to get back to normal. I can't imagine going through a second surgery that soon after a c-section. I hope that she get on the road to recovery soon so that she can enjoy that new baby. The are only little for such a short time!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2975 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 462

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review