All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
in need of support
      #80176 - 06/16/04 09:02 PM
oliver1014

Reged: 06/12/04

I was just diagnosed in January but I have had IBS for the last seven years. When my doctor diagnosed me sent me home with a prescription for colace and Zelnorm and told to use Metamucil three times a day. Other than that, she said there wasn't much else to do. Needless to say it was a gift from God when I stumbled across this site and found out about Heather's books. The Zelnorm worked with the pain but the constipation never seemed to ease up. I have gone a week without any bowel movements. I bought the hypnosis cds and am at day 14 now and I feel somewhat discouraged. Not only am I in pain but now it seems that my body may be addicted to the colace. I don't know how to go without it. I try for a week and then I get scared as extreme pains return. I feel that because I am so stressed and focused on this, my family suffers, especially my 5 yr old daughter, as all I want to do is lie in bed. Does anyone else "pretend" to be okay all the the time. I feel like I have to put on a show because people don't understand the pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: in need of support new
      #80178 - 06/16/04 09:11 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hey, this is the only place you do not have to pretend. I wish I could give you some great advice, but I am an A, ever day is a new day for me. I never know what is going to be happening with me! I spent the last weekend, 4days of it totally C. I was in such pain and discomfort, I had to go to a funeral, lots and lots of driving, I was with friends, they were and always are so wonderful and supportive. I couldnt be more blessed in the friend department! It took me several days afer I returned home to get it all to come loose. I just drank some decaf coffee, and by that evening I was going. IT was not D at the time, just gave me a good ole cleaning out. Cant do coffee two days in a row, can't do most foods two days in a row. Other than rice, potatos and pasta....do you take an antispasmodic medication? I had cramps yesterday, I have some of Heathers heat packs. Warmed one of them up and I have to tell you, it worked wonders. IT made me feel so much better. Heating pad will do the same thing. I hope I said something here that encouraged you, I will be around, look me up if you need to talk. gayla

Hi Oliver! new
      #80181 - 06/16/04 09:14 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Believe me, WE understand the pain! And I know that I've definitely had to put up a show on more than one occaision! And I think you should go back to the doctor and tell him about the colace. Maybe he can tell you some more info about it and whether there's something else?

Here's JenX's fantastic post to the newbies, which can still be found in the Eating for IBS board: Jen's post

And I also thought, maybe it's also your diet that may be giving you trouble? Be sure to read this if you haven't already.

I hope things get better for ya soon! And if you re-post this in the Eating for IBS board, even more people can help you out there! Welcome to the boards!

-Jessica

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#80186 - 06/16/04 09:26 PM
oliver1014

Thanks for the warm welcome! At last people who understand!! I have actually changed my diet. I am eating oatmela everyday for breakfast - no more greasy foods, and I try to cut out the majority of the junk food. I have tried heat pads and the peppermint teas. It just seems to be an endless circle and everyone seems to have the "cure" for you. My husband is supportive - he blocks my daughter and the dog ina different area of the house so I can have some quiet time to do the cd's but I can't help but feel like a burden. Also we are hoping to try for another baby at the end of this year and I can't help but stress. I worry because I don't what effect it will have on me. With my daughter the symptoms disappeared but my IBS wasn't nearly as bad. Sorry for all the babble - it's just nice to be able to "talk" with people who understand.

#80188 - 06/16/04 09:31 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

WELCOME!

Yes I COMPLETELY know what you're talking about in regards to putting on a show. It's like you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. You either end up miserable, or you end up making others miserable by being down or in a bad mood (though we are entitled to be once in a while!!!!!)

Anyway, what meds and fiber are you on now? I currently take Zelnorm and have just started an SFS. I'm also on an antidepressant. Ever tried them? Mine's for more than just the IBS, but supposedly, due to the serotonin connection, in small doses, they are sometimes successful in helping IBS.

In regards to pregnancy, I've heard a lot of people say their symtpoms have been lessened or vanished when pregnant. I believe this has to do with hormones. Hmm, gimme some of those hormones I say!!!!

#80192 - 06/16/04 09:41 PM
oliver1014

I am not on any meds right now - the Zelnorm was only for the twelve weeks recommended. As for anti-depressants I was on them for six years - been off for almost two years. The last one, Effexor, I was on for a year and the side effecta were too much for me. They only added to the problem witht hte constipation. For fibre I take Prodiem - 2 tablets four times a day. I tried Metamucil but the texture makes it physically impossible for me to swallow. Has anyone tried the acacia tea from this site? I am trying to increase my fibre but with stopping the colace it seems to all just build up inside of me.

#80194 - 06/16/04 09:48 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

tons of people use the Acacia - just do a board search!!

Also, as for Metamucil there are cookie/wafers as well as new caplets available instead

welcome to the boards... new
      #80234 - 06/17/04 04:41 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

you may want to do a search and see what other people have to say about constipation and their tips about it on the Diet board, where most of the IBS conversations go on.

there have been a bunch of threads about it, even recently, and a search saves you from having to page through the Diet board.

i'll give you the number one and two: drink a lot of water and make sure you're adding in your insoluble fiber (slowly)!

welcome to the boards!

*j

--------------------

#80272 - 06/17/04 07:04 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Just wanted to say hi from me too.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#80334 - 06/17/04 08:41 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh I so understand your pain and yes, I put on shows all the time.... otherwise everyone is always asking what is wrong, what is wrong.... stresses me out even more.

Welcome to the boards and the coolest place for us IBS'ers to hang!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#80356 - 06/17/04 09:05 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Hi and Welcome,

We all know how you feel here. Some of us have IBS C some IBS D, and some like me IBS A so I can relate to everyone here. My doctor just diagnosed me in March and told me to take Benefiber. At the time I was going through attacks of D for weeks and weeks. He had told me to take an Immodium which caused me to go right into C for weeks and weeks. Someone suggested I also try Citrucel. (The powders work the best of me. I take Benefiber in the morning and the Citrucel at night. Once I started the Citrucel it seemed to really have helped and finally was having a normal BM every day. When I get stressed I go right back to D. I think the stress is what affects the IBS the most.

I know before I was told to try the Citrucel that when I went a week without a BM I had to resort to a glycerin suppository just to relieve the pressure that was building up. The combination of Benefiber and Citrucel seem to have helped the most.

I notice if I eat butternut squash it Really helps a lot too. I also noticed that rice and rice products were causing me to become more constipated so you may want to try and give them up for a little while and see if this helps.

Don't be worried about giving long posts. If you need to vent, do so. We're all in the same boat here. There will always be someone here that will read you post and answer you.

Wishing you the best,

Pat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review