All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Good Books? new
      #79379 - 06/15/04 10:50 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

It's not an autobiography but i loved this book anyway."A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley. I think she won an award for the book? It was hard to put down for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good Books? new
      #79391 - 06/15/04 11:08 AM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

HI!
It's not an autobiography, but A FINE BALANCE by Rohinton Mistry is excelent. Probably my favorite! I couldn't put it down. Also The Reader was great. Reading is so wonderful, especially on a hot day at the beach!

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Re: Old Stuff & Newer new
      #79408 - 06/15/04 11:25 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I just finished John Nichols' The Magic Journey (1978) a few weeks ago. Wow. I cried and I laughed. In one scene, all the opportunists and all the lawyers and all the naive town leaders are sitting at a table trying to resolve some legal issues, when one of them just loses his patience and takes out his ancient gun and starts shooting people. Another scene involves an embalmed whale as a tourist attraction. Ghosts, hippies, tortured martyrs, farm animals - they all have a role in the dark story of the oh-so-slightly mythical town of Chamisaville, New Mexico.

I also recommend all the Harry Potters if you're looking for something a little lighter and haven't already enjoyed them.

sperry_twiggins

Re: Good Books? SPQ Book of Love..... new
      #79420 - 06/15/04 11:32 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Isn't it just the greatest??

I read a review in "me talk pretty some day" or something like that, and it's supposed to be good too..........but I've not seen it or thumbed thru it yet so don't know. How can anything top the SPQ's?????

Kandee

--------------------

Chick Lit Books! new
      #79446 - 06/15/04 12:36 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey, we can't knock chick lit books! They may not be exactly the most intellectual type reading, but I sure find them enjoyable.

Have you read the Shopaholic Series? They're some of my favourite, and I just finished her new book "Can you Keep a Secret" and really enjoyed that as well. I find whenever I'm not in school, I like to read lite fluff It's great!
Kelly

Re: Good Books? SPQ Book of Love..... new
      #79808 - 06/16/04 04:05 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Thanks all for the great tips. Now I'll go and find out about some of them. I love the Geisha stuff and I loved reading "wild swans"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 908 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2013

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review