All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Binge eating-long post
      #78477 - 06/12/04 08:12 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Any other binge eaters out there? I believe it is from all my years of dieting and trying to loose weight. I had a really bad episode before I was diagnosed with IBS. Then when I read Heather's books in my mind I thought her "diet" was to help my condition, and things where great, no bingeing until recently. I read a post about keeping a food diary (to find the triggers), the hallmark of any diet, mine was Weight Watchers. It threw me into a head spin! I kept the diary for a 1/2 a day and then proceeded to eat whatever(even ibs badies) because I felt deprived! It took me so long to be okay with myself and food and weight and now it is all blown to hell. Before I was diagnosed with IBS I would binge the night or days before I decided to go on a diet. The bingeing would usually end up in a D attack and then I felt that all the "bad" food was out of my system and then I would start filling out the food diaries on(almost every) Monday and the vicious cycle would begin. Now I am there again waiting for the attack of D after bingeing on cookies Just looking for a pity party and a good therapist!

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Binge eating-long post new
      #78489 - 06/12/04 10:01 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Heather, I have been wondering silently to myself if I could be a binge eater. When I say binge, I am talking about the times when the day has been long, I may have had a small snack around lunch time, but by the time evening hit, and I would be about to start cooking, I would grab a bag of anything, cookies, chips, ....you name it and just cram it into my mouth as I cooked doing this until I am full or close to it. Those types of incidents. NOw that I am trying so hard to follow the IBS diet, I am very careful about what I cram into my mouth at this time of day.

Maybe I would be more classified as a stress eater? I dont know, sometimes I am so good at confusing myself. What do you think??? I do feel sorry for myself at times and go overboard.

thanks for reading, hope you can understand this mish mash of words, gayla

#78514 - 06/13/04 07:39 AM
barbie

Loc: Texas

Hi,

I think we all probably go through this at one time or another....I know I do. I am especially jealous of my husband who can eat anything and never has stomach trouble.
I usually fix him what he wants and I eat something safe.
His favorite is hot dogs with chili, cheese, onions, sweet relish and put under the broiler. I would be on the potty for days if I ate that. Although, sometimes I would like to grab one of those hot dogs and stuff it down my mouth. They look so good! But.....there is a little voice in my head that reminds me how sick I would be and that takes away all the pleasure of eating one of his hot dogs.

I did have a craving for cake the other day and remember that I read on one of the posts that Duncan Hines should be safe. I made the Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake...no icing...and it was really good and NO BAD EFFECTS....YIPPEE
That helped my feeling that I never could have anything that I craved again and really lifted my spirits.

Feel better soon
Barbie

--------------------

#78752 - 06/13/04 07:42 PM
jonsie57

Reged: 06/08/04
Loc: dallas, texas

As a former binge eater myself, I know that I would binge on junk food constantly (gained 75 pounds) have D attacks, wait a few days swear I would never do that to myself again. ANd then do it all over again. My last ibs attack in May landed me in the hospital. All tests turned out negative, so ibs is the culprit. I found this site about a week ago and was so happy that I did. All of your posts have been so helpful and I intend to buy heathers book.
Anyway just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

Thanks everyone new
      #79037 - 06/14/04 04:16 PM
heather robin

just knowing others are out there helps. I am doing alittle bit better now. NO more food diaries for me!

--------------------
IBS-D

#79162 - 06/14/04 08:54 PM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

I have always known that I am a binge whatever. Before I stopped drinking I would go for weeks and even months without a drink and then I would got nuts for 2-3 days. I do that with food now except it is getting much worse than the drinking ever did. It is my little coping secret except it doesn't work. I will do fine most of the day, eating regularly, staying away from the fatty baked goods that I love so much and then something will trigger and I'll go nuts. It's about every day now. It doesn't matter how "good" I hope to be - sometime during the day I start with just a taste of something and then the next thing you know I've purchased and eaten an entire container of something. I go for cookies, doughnuts, cupcakes, etc. It's a tough battle. I'm working on it. One day at a time, one step at a time. I think it is harder with food because you have to eat something. The saddest part is I know it will make me sick (pain, bloating, gas, C) but it isn't enough to stop me. My husband says when the pain gets bad enough I'll do something about it. In the meantime...

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

You should read this book. new
      #79182 - 06/14/04 10:21 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

Hi...

I only just last week entered therapy for disordered eating. My problem, though the opposite of yours (obsessive calorie-counting, extremely strict dieting to the point of eating double portions of a non-safe IBS food once a week because I felt deprived and paid for it the next day), is similar in that I have dissociated myself from food for so long that I can't remember the last time I truly ENJOYED a meal without guilt of some kind, or been attuned to my hunger and satiety signals. I would not know when my body would be ready to stop eating, so I constantly underate.
My body image has been so terrible for so long that when people tell me how great I look or how they wish they had my figure, I am disgusted because I feel like a sow and I can't understand what they are talking about. Most of the time I am totally turned off by myself.

My therapist told me to read "Feeding The Hungry Heart" by Geneen Roth, a recovering binge-eater, bulimic, and chronic dieter who has become sort of a patient-expert. This book is riveting. I have read half of it already, and I have only had it a day. Please read this. There is help out there, and I am going to attempt to get better, even though there is a BIG part of me that still feels like I don't need help, just more diet and liposuction.

Thanks for letting me vent, too.

Jen

Bump for HeatherRobin! :) -nt- new
      #79703 - 06/15/04 06:49 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

The D isn't enough to stop me either -nt- new
      #79995 - 06/16/04 12:45 PM
heather robin

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: You should read this book. new
      #79997 - 06/16/04 12:46 PM
heather robin

I am going to look for it today! Thank you so much. I am trying to find a therapist as well. But until I do at least I can read a book on the subject!

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2709 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1187

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review