All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone know much about divorce??
      #78036 - 06/10/04 08:36 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

My sister is getting divorced. Its a messy situation. Anyways she has moved in with my mom and dad. Her kids are spending time at home and at my parents with my sister. Her and her husband aren't fighting over anything...they are going to split everything 50/50. He is getting the house. So what I'm wondering is if she will get anything from the money she has put into that house. She has also been paying money on the house for the past 5 years. Is she intitled to anything because of that? I just wonder....I feel so bad for this situation. She is in a really mess. They are getting a lawyer to finalize everything. But I just wonder if there is anything she needs to look out for. She doesn't want to fight him on anything, but I just want to make sure she gets what she's intitled to.

Thanks to anyone who knows much about this!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone know much about divorce?? new
      #78038 - 06/10/04 08:42 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hey Steph,

I don't know much, but I would advise her to get her own lawyer, female if possible. I've seen too many cases where people go into the divorce with the best of intentions, yet because they can't fight the intangibles; i.e. the betrayals (as they see them), the hurt feelings, etc, they then decide to take the tangibles and get their own back at the other person.

Anyway, just an opinion. I do feel really sorry for them, for you, but as a child of a broken marriage, most of all for the children. Just give them love and listen.

Hugs,
Bevp

#78040 - 06/10/04 08:52 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Thanks Bev. I will talk to her tomorrow about getting her own lawyer. I have had her kids over a lot this week. I plan on spending a lot of time with them and helping in any way I can!

Thank you!

--------------------

#78041 - 06/10/04 09:04 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hey Steph,

That's great, but don't make yourself sick in the process!! Be supportive and do what you can but remember you can only do so far - don't take on everyone's pain. It won't help them and it won't help you. Kids are resilient and if the adults act like adults and are supportive, they'll come out fine.

Don't forget to be kind to yourself also.

Bev

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1056 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 414

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review