Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For Kandee
      #78027 - 06/10/04 07:35 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi Kandee,

Thought I'd better post to this Board and not the Recipe Board, but thanks for the hint re potato starch. I'm up for any hints. My g/f baking is just a joke. I guess it takes practice, but I thought I would make muffins last week and they actually turned out like ping-pong balls - very light, hard and rigid on the outside yet when the shell was cracked you could stretch the insides just like bubble gum!! What a feat. The only thing I've have successfully made in the baking department was a rather flat corn bread, which tasted pretty good and fry-pan bread which even a klutz like me can make. So any hints very gratefully accepted.

In regard to the gene testing, I intend taking this up with my doctor, who also is a celiac, next month. (We've got a stack of frequent flyer points up so we're going to Fiji for 9 days on July 2.) Anyway, Kandee, I'll let you know all about it and anything else that comes up.

There is also another research project starting up regarding commonality between the gene for haemotomochrosis, which I have and celiac - both celtic disorders - damn those Irish and Scots!!.

Anyway, hope you are feeling good today.

Bev

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bevp new
      #78044 - 06/10/04 09:48 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Bev,

I have to show my ignorance here and tell you I know nothing about haemotomochrosis...even did a google search and found nothing. Is there something I'm missing? Is this the way it is spelled or is it called something else? Do you have a link? I certainly am NOT up on celiac disease like I should be. I figure as long as I'm eating GF and feel Sooooo much better by doing so, then I don't necessarily need to know all the medical conditions connected with it. Heck, I'm just trying to get smart on my current condition.......acute thyroiditis.......not a nice thing to have.

I had a good laugh at your ping-pong, with bubble gum center, muffins. How well I know about all the "flops" that are very easy to do, even for the best of cooks. One of the well known writers of a GF cookbook admits that she never knows just how her bread is going to turn out, because no matter what she does, no matter how much she tries to be consistant, the bread is different..........each and every time. How well I know that to be true!! The first loaf I tried I made in the bread machine, and it was even from a mix from The Gluten Free Pantry. It turned out just like a building brick. I put it out for the birds. The little birds couldn't peck even one little chunk out of it. It was the ravens, and then it took them a week, to work thru it..........great fun to watch!!! Since then I've gotten better. I've yet to make the rice muffins that are in the recipe index here, but they sure seem easy. Have you tried them?
Well, what I can tell you is that if you make a good GF flour sub mix (rice flour, potato starch flour, and tapioca flour) and use it in place of reg. flour in a recipe (plus some xantham gum) you get a good product, especially in quick breads and muffins. Bread, using yeast is another story, and sooo tricky that it's almost worth just buying the commercial GF rice bread instead.

Like you said:
Quote:

haemotomochrosis, which I have and celiac - both celtic disorders - damn those Irish and Scots!!.

I agree, because I'm mostly Irish.......plus a little English and French thrown in..........
it's the pits.

Going to Fiji? How nice. I had friends that worked in Pago Pago but never got there. My hope is to get to New Zealand and Australia one of these days. Had the chance when I got out of college. Most of my friends took jobs in Aus since they were highly recruited at that time. I always regreted not going too.......

Anyway, have a great time on your trip, and if there is any recipe I can help you with let me know.........

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Kandee new
      #79164 - 06/14/04 09:02 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi Kandee,

I've been away from the boards for a few days. We had a long weekend to celebrate the Queen's birthday. Firstly, very sorry, but I can't spell. A site which tells you about H is http://www.ironoverload.org.

It's a genetic disease which is also from the celts and apparently a number of celiacs also have it. I was fine until menopause. I suppose, shedding blood every month keeps the iron levels down, so I never knew I had it.

It started with the celts who were warriors. Because they were constantly fighting with swords and had many wounds, their bodies adapted so that their organs stored iron and they survived. Not so good for us long-lost relatives!!

Anyway, you just need a blood test to check on your iron levels and if they are too high after 3 goes, you have another blood test which isolates the gene.

Thanks for the hints with baking. Also I'll see if I can find site details for the other research studies for celiac.

Hope you had a good weekend,

Best regards,

Bev

Bevp!!! new
      #79181 - 06/14/04 10:18 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hello again Bev,

Don't worry about spelling. I'm the world's worst. Hope you had a good holiday on the Queen's birthday!!!

Thank you sooo very much for this information. I'm going to check into it further. Upon reading at the website of the link you sent it could WELL be one of my problems. A light went on when it mentioned affecting thyroid too and since I'm the first generation with thyroid problems I always thought there must be some sort of other genetic connection. I've always known about iron overload and yet, like you never had a problem, because I had heavy flow periods. Now in menopause, I understand donating blood is a wise thing to do to alleviate the iron buildup. But since they won't take my blood (because of having thyroid disease) I always INSIST they take an extra vial or two of blood when I have blood work done and just throw away any extra. They look at me as if I have 2 heads but do it anyway.

Last CBC I had my alt. med doc kept telling me to stay away from beef because of my iron levels…….well, not iron levels but some other reading that indicated that (as explained on your web site), yet I told him I don't eat red meat and only eat basically what is on this IBS diet. I'm going to explore further this testing for iron overload to see if it is the actual culprit. It may well explain why my all Irish father dropped dead from a heart attack at age 46!.........and why I became wheat allergic at a young age.

Fascinating about those fighters, the Celts…………….aren't we supposed to make love not war???....darn this heredity anyway!!!

If this is the missing link with me, I'm coming to Brisbane!!! I need to buy you a fancy dinner out!!

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3628 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 473

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review