All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Newbie - Introduction
      #75273 - 06/01/04 01:55 PM

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Houston, TX

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for about ten days here and constantly thanking God that I finally found some help.

I've suffered from IBS for 15 years - it began after having my gallbladder removed, although whether there is a connection I'm not sure. At different times I've been a borderline shut-in from it. We're talking The Big D....the "no Immodium will hold me" kind of D.

Anyway, about five years ago I began to follow a mostly vegetarian diet: no red meat or poultry, but occasionally I eat shellfish. For a while this resulted in a drastic improvement, but over the years my dairy intake increased, and, well, you know how *that* story always ends.

My father, being a Sugar Busters/Atkins devotee, has always insisted that "white carbs" were the root of my bowel problems. I made the switch to whole grain pasta, etc, and stock in toilet paper skyrocketed. I was soley responsible for any known TP shortages, thanks to whole wheat spaghetti.

I also have PCOS and am trying to lose weight, so I put myself on a raw veggie diet about a month ago. This brought on The Mother Of All Attacks. It was like my intestines were waging a shock and awe campaign against me for subjecting them to salad, cheese, and oily dressings. This went on for three weeks. Then I found this site.

I am now *stable* thanks to soluable fiber, no dairy, no eggs, and no raw veggies. I've given up my addiction to diet soda and replaced it with water. I can't even begin to convey with mere words what it's like to be out of pain and to feel normal. I'm essentially eating a vegan diet at this point, with allowances made for shellfish. I don't seem to have a problem tolerating the Veggie Shreds cheeses, although I know they're not 100% strictly dairy free. I plan to make Kree's mac 'n cheese for dinner tonight with some of their chedder shreds.

Long post, huh? Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for sharing your tips and ideas and suggestions. It saved me from taking up permanent residence in the bathroom.

-- Aletha
Age 30, Houston TX

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie - Introduction new
      #75274 - 06/01/04 02:01 PM
jilltrav

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Hi Aletha-
Welcome from another newbie. Isnt it nice to find a place where it all makes sense? I am so happy you are stable- and so quickly. Its a great place here- isnt it?
Jill

#75280 - 06/01/04 02:29 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Aletha,

Welcome, I am from Houston, too. The Clear Lake area. Is is hot enough for you?? The humidity is absolutely awful, my air conditioning is running non-stop! Happy to see that you seem to be stable now. I have been stable for a couple of weeks, too, and it is wonderful. This is a great site for help and advice and even some fun.

Barbie

--------------------

#75304 - 06/01/04 04:25 PM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

welcome Newbie!
this site is a dream come true! Like you, I was trying all the raw veggies and whole grain foods, ouch..the bloating and cramps...These people are wonderful!!

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Welcome! GREAT screen name!!!!! new
      #75306 - 06/01/04 04:33 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

welcome to the boards. glad you're finding relief. amazing how quickly eating right can make a difference! may not be perfect, but it sure has an impact, eh?

don't worry about the long post- we like to learn about newbies and besides, that's not long at all! now I can write a long post....

but i'll spare you that right now. welcome aboard!

--------------------

#75308 - 06/01/04 04:34 PM

Unregistered

Hi Aletha! I love your screen name/number! I can hear the song in my head right now. I am also in Texas. Just an hour north of Houston, on Lake Livingston. I am 31. I know you'll find lots of comfort, support, friendly people and LOADS of information here. Welcome!

#75332 - 06/01/04 06:01 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome, Aletha!! Sorry you need to be here, but SO GLAD you found us! Glad to hear the diet is already helping.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#75354 - 06/01/04 07:32 PM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Welcome aboard, Im Tanya, your story sounds just like mine,I too developed IBS after i had gallbladder surgery(4wks after a c-section delivery),that was almost 13 years ago now.I think im finally learning how to deal with it and this website has been great!!!

Hello and welcome new
      #75355 - 06/01/04 07:32 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I now have that song running through my head! What a flashback(don't want to date myself too much)!!!! My father is on the same diet "kick" as your dad. I just know that Heather's diet has helped me so much. Glad you found us! And if you caused TP shortages in Texas I was the guilty party in Eastern Penna! Thank God we don't have to use an outhouse and the Sears catalog!!!

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Hello and welcome new
      #75382 - 06/01/04 09:13 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I've had that song in my head all day now!

I was singing it to myself at work and I think I got some strange looks.

Welcome to the boards!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3084 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1264

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review