All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kandee....thyroid question for you!!
      #74634 - 05/29/04 04:15 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

OK...I'm just wondering if your hungry all the time? I am and cant figure out why! I'm just wondering if it has something to do with the thyroid!

I'm getting sick of eating all the time! I'm like a baby...every two hours!

We went to lunch today...it was a big meal....got home took a nap and then felt starving. And I had eaten lunch two hours ago. So nuts!

Thanks for your input! How are you feeling? Are you getting better? How about the meds, are you back on Armour? I hope your feeling somewhat better!

Take care!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kandee....thyroid question for you!! new
      #74639 - 05/29/04 04:51 PM
CityWoman

Reged: 03/27/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

As well as having Ulcerative Colitis I also have Graves Disease (another autoimmune disease) which impacts the thyroid. A simple blood test can confirm or deny Graves.

The symptoms you describe are part of the symptoms I had before diagnosis. I would eat a huge meal and then say, "Why am I still hungry?"

Graves came first, followed by UC 2 1/2 years later.

My Graves is now in remission (through medication). I'm now on no medication for Graves.

I am currently pushing my UC into remission through drugs. Ironically, however, the Prednisone has put me back into that "hunger mode" which I fight a lot. Just two more weeks of Pred, however, and hopefully life will find its new "normal".

If you have any questions, maybe I can help.

--------------------
CityWoman

Welcome Judy......and Steph, as to your question... new
      #74679 - 05/29/04 07:19 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Ewww, you're pretty!!!

Oh my Graves...........nasty stuff.......and UC is nothing to sneeze at as well. I feel so badly for you having both.

Yes, jump in here anytime you can. Sheph and I are both Hypo but she was not feeling good on a straight T-4 so is now on Armour which is both T-3 and T-4. I, on the other hand developed subacute thryoiditis (again, very nasty stuff) where you go from hypo to being suddenly hyper (you know all abou that) with A-fibs and all the other hyper symptoms. The doc talked about putting me on Prednisone but I poo poo'd that unless we can't get my antibodies to come down. I DON't need to gain anymore weight and am fighting to take 25 off right now.

Anyway, yes Steph, you'll see the hunger cravings for a while......they'll come and go. I suspect that since you are on the T-3 now that is making you feel better psychologically and thus the bigger appetite. It is a little like getting a temporary dose of an antidepressant and you know those can increase your appetite. It will settle down in time..........just be patient. You'll all of a sudden have a day where you just don't care about eating and you'll wonder where that came from. It's nuts, I know, but YES the thyroid can affect your hunger level, big time. Please, don't think it's the Armour that is doing this, it's not. As soon as you get within your right levels (remember you are still too hypo and that's why the doc upped your dosages) then the hunger will go away.....it can be a common sypmtom of being both to hypo or hyper however usually when you are hyper you don't have the strong hunger...Sooo, just go with it for right not........if you're not over weight, and I think you said you were skinny anyway, then you won't have anything to worry about over the long haul.

Kandee

--------------------

Thanks Citywoman! new
      #74686 - 05/29/04 08:33 PM
StephS

Sorry to hear about your troubles Sounds like you have it close to undercontrol! Thats great! I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for your input!!!

--------------------

Thanks Kandee new
      #74687 - 05/29/04 08:43 PM
StephS

Don't worry I wont stop the Armour! I have a crazy metabolism. When I tell people that I have hypothyrod...they say....you mean hyper right? Because I am small. I'm small boned too....so anyways....I've always been pretty slender. I too have always had a big appatite. But latley its been crazy. I get tired of eating. I have also gained 7 lbs. Not much....but WHO likes any weight gain??? NOT me!!!! I hope that's mostly due to the hypothyroid....and now that I'm on the right meds I'll be able to loose those lbs!

Anyhow...glad to know it because of this! I'm glad to be on Armour. I'm starting to notice a little difference!!!! YEA!!! I think once I get my energy back up I'll start to work out again too.

I can't tell you how glad I am to have you here Kandee!!! Your like my own personal Thyroid Doc!! Your the best!

Thanks!

--------------------

Wait till you get my bill, Steph............ new
      #74695 - 05/29/04 10:17 PM
Kandee

you may think twice.............and BTW I don't take assignment on any health insurance plan..........LOL

Doc Kandee
Endo to end all End-o's
Certified from the University of Downstairs

--------------------

Poor StephS new
      #74698 - 05/29/04 10:32 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Wow, I was hypo for 7 years, and then all of a sudden went to hyper. (thyroiditis). I was put on medication for that for a year, and I went into remission.

I've been euthyroid for about 3 years now. I didn't experience the hunger until I went hyper. I'd always been thin, but that's when I gained weight. I thought I was going to go nuts with the racing heart, the hunger and the craziness that goes with thyroid problems.

When I was hypo, I was so depressed and tired. I'd go to sleep during the day and it felt like I wasn't going to wake up. My poor little boy had to fend for himself, because I absolutely was not able to do much. I was put on synthroid and did quite well on it.

I can still vividly remember when the depression lifted off of me. I'd been mad at my husband for months, and suddenly I could see that it wasn't because of him. Oh my, those were such hard times.

Steph, you're so young to have to go through so much. You poor thing. My heart goes out to you.
Terri

Terri new
      #74706 - 05/29/04 11:10 PM
Kandee

Good to see you back..........missed ya....hope your daughter and the little one will be ok.

Oh boy, can I ever relate to everything you just said.............

I've gone thru all you have and then some......it's nuts isn't it?

When I first became hypo OMG the depression!!!! I thought I was going nuts but couldn't help it. Docs thought it was menopause but I knew, deep down it wasn't. I begged to get the thyroid tested and sure enuf, that was it. Took a year to pull out of it. Now the subacute thyroidits.........hypo one day, hyper the next, now I'm back to being severely hypo, even though not over the thyroidits and starting on meds, low dose at first, all over again, just like at the beginning. Don't know when/if the antibodies will come down...they are thru the roof.

Anyway, I know you said you lost a lot of weight recently......are you still on a diet? If so, come on over to the Las Vegas board. Even if you can't come to LV we have a pretty stringent diet thing going on there...........listing everything we eat for a day, and the cal count. We are kicking each other's you know what when we're bad, but lots of "atta girls" when we're good. Something should work!!!

Anyway, yes, Steph is way to young to have this junk hit her. I feel soooo badly............

Jump right in Terri when any other thyroids need us......you'll probably remember things I'd forget......and these days, I'm needing all the help I can get, just to get thru a day!!!

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Terri new
      #74708 - 05/29/04 11:32 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Well, Kandee, just thinking about hypo and hyper, gives me the chills. Whew, that stuff is hard to handle. It actually controls you, and you can't do a thing about it.

Yes, I'm still on a diet. I've lost 28 pounds since February, and I still have about another 25 pounds or so to go. This is the first time that I've ever stuck with a diet, but these carbs are so satisfying, that it really helps.

I'll take a look at the vegas diet board. I know one thing, these boards are great for support and accountability. I often think about what people here have said to me, and that they'd be disappointed if I ate this or too much of that, and it helps me stop myself.

Oh, I feel for you and your thyroid problems. I really do, Kandee. It hurts me to just think of it! For me, it was even worse than IBS. I say "was", but as you know, thyroid is something you have to keep an eye on forever.

I'm just really lucky to have suddenly gone normal. The doctor said he'd never seen that happen in his practice. But, oh my, you NEVER forget the effects and what it does to you. I live in apprehension of its' return.

I'm always looking for signs; depression, brittle, dry hair, fatique, dry skin, edema, etc, etc, etc. You know just what I mean.

I certainly wish you well, Kandee, in your fight with your thyroid. Good luck on your weight loss, too.
Terri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1563 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 577

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review