All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
soy ice cream
      #74570 - 05/29/04 09:51 AM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

All the soy ice creams I've tried are terrible, what kind is good? I'd even drive to the states if they have a better brand. I live close to the border.

livin' without my ice cream...sigh...

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soy ice cream new
      #74575 - 05/29/04 10:39 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I like the SO Good brand. So far I've just tried the caramel swirl and strawberry kind and I don't think they're too bad at all. Mind you it had been 3 years since I had had regular ice cream so I couldn't compare the taste.

Do you live in Canada? In Ontario I've found them at Loblaws and in Manitoba I've found them at Safeway.

#74585 - 05/29/04 11:27 AM
genie

Thx Jamie,
the caramel swirl sounds great....now I have to make a trip to the grocer. I'm in Vancouver, Canada; we have tons of Safeways. Do you have any other favorite treats, especially for movie snacking? Safe ones...I'm going crazy with no chocolate or ice cream...I'm sick of peeled apples...lol

--------------------

#74657 - 05/29/04 06:08 PM
JBI

Ah Vancouver... or Van-topia as my roommates call it. They're all from there and really miss it.

The really good snacks are tough. Most chips etc. are way too greasy/ high in fat and most of the flavourings have milk products in them. One product that I have found that isn't too bad, all be it not as good as regular chips, is President's Choice rice chips. They've got a few flavours but the Sea salt and cracked peppercorn flavour is the only one that doesn't have milk products in them. That's one area where it may be benficial to drive done to the states and see what they have.

Some gummie stuff doesn't really bother me but there are lots of ingredients in them that are longer than 5 syllables so I'm careful to not have too much.

You're smart to stay away from the chocolate, it will really bother me now

Let me know how you like the ice cream.

Jamie

#74760 - 05/30/04 11:04 AM
genie

Hi Jamie,
Thanks for the tips. I got the ice cream, I ended up just getting vanilla. It's called Rice Dream. It's not bad, i could always add just a taste caramel sauce myself. All the flavours were like Double Fudge Chocolate and Peanut butter Chocolate. Being soy or Rice milk and all I just didn't want to risk the cramps and nausea from the chocolate stuff. I was tempted though. I also got some Corn Pops and Alphabets cereal to munch on. I haven't bought that kind of cereal in ages! I even got a Spiderman toy! haha. I work at a Children's Hospital so the kids will love it. It reflects a Red SPider on a wall thru a red light. Cereal toys...Mmmm...those were the days...

I'm going to make that mix that's posted here with the honey and I think you bake it. Yum yim! What fun.

--------------------

#74800 - 05/30/04 04:19 PM
JBI

Those sound good, you'll have to let me know how they turn out. The ones that I have are: SO Good Ice Cream

Ceral makes the best snack. I like honeycomb and then there are also some really great organic cerals. President's choice and Nature's Path have some really good ones. You do have to be careful with some children's cerals as they've got lots of additives in them. As well, last year, before my IBS got bad I bought a box of lucky charms. Holy crap I couldn't eat them! There was just WAY too much sugar. There had to be more than when I was a kid!

The toy sounds fun. That'd be a great way to get the kids to smile at the hospital. Before my IBS got bad I flew Medevacs and really enjoyed it when we had kids as the patients. Not only were they easier to lift onto the plane, but if it wasn't too serious we'd get them to come visit up front so they could see all the dials and switches and everything. That was especially cool on nights when the Northern lights were out. We even had some toy airplanes we'd give them.

Jamie

#74801 - 05/30/04 04:24 PM
genie

That's awesome that you flew medevacs! We have flight paramedics at Children's hospital, that would be the ultimate job, huh? Two full fledge careers in one brain. Amazing. do you fly private or commercial?

--------------------

#74837 - 05/30/04 08:03 PM
JBI

I fly commercially for a regional airline here in Manitoba. We've got scheduled flights, Medevacs and Charters. Right now I just fly the little single engine Cessna on charters. I did for a year until just before Christmas and am now doing charters.

The nurses and paramedics that we fly with seem to like their jobs, although they have the same complaints about it as I did: no real schedule, living on your pager, never getting a regular sleep schedule. It was hell on my stomach. But I really did like it, I wish I could keep doing it.

What do you do at the hospital?

well.. new
      #74877 - 05/30/04 10:49 PM
genie

Your'e job sounds awesome! How many years of school for that kind of thing? DO you have a second langauge?

I was going to go in to be a flight attendant but I didn't have my second langauge, drag. So now I'm a unit clerk in the Intensive Care Unit at childrens Hospital. It's great, I love it. It's so fasted paced and the morale is awesome. The kids are wonderful. I've fallen in love with one of the little guys that we've had now for 8 months.

With the strike and all, and i think eventually we will be contracted out so I've gone back to school to get the classes that I never got in high school. I'm actually enjoying it! crazy huh? I've already got my math completed and it's just bio12 and chem11 left then I'm going into Nursing, YEa!! I'm just thrilled about this. Nursing is so broad, you can go anywhere with it. I love the medical field. I might even end back at children's hosp. who knows! talk to ya soon

--------------------

Re: well.. new
      #75098 - 05/31/04 09:23 PM
JBI

I don't speak a second language although I'm taking an introductory French course through distance Education right now. It's interesting although I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into!

I did a 3 year college course in Toronto to get all my licences and ratings, I then moved up North, got a job with my present company loading bags, did that for 15 months and have been flying for them since November 2002.

Nursing is a great career. There are so many different avenues you can pursue. One of my old roommates was a flight nurse for us. After he quit that he worked at various nursing stations throughout the Arctic. He's currently in Gjoa Haven on the Arctic Ocean and then is going to go Volunteer in Honduras before heading back to BC to take pre-med.

I so would have been a nurse or doctor if I could have handled some of the gory stuff that they have to deal with. My cousin is in Med school and everytime she talks about stuff she had to do I get queezy, yet I used to fly an Air Ambulance, go figure

What does a unit clerk do? Lots of the organizational stuff and paper work etc?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1536

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review