All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: chinagrl new
      #74414 - 05/28/04 08:58 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

That's awesome! Tufts is an excellent school. I applied and got in there for my PhD, but the money wasn't good enough.

I'm working on my PhD in Performance as Public Practice (or, theatre history, kinda) at UT Austin.

Boston is an AWESOME city though. I've spent a lot of time there and I love it. You're going to have the best time and be so busy!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Living alone.. how do you afford it? new
      #74576 - 05/29/04 10:39 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Zingermans, woo hoo!! Blind Pig, Gandydancer, Pretzel Bell. Need I go on??

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#74755 - 05/30/04 10:00 AM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Hey, I just wanted to express my solidarity with you -- I'm about to quit my job and go back to school full time at Dalhousie University in Halifax to do some grad work. It's not Boston (but it sort of close, geographically at least) but I understand freaking out about the money since I'm going through the same thing right now, which might be even more difficult coming from currently having a decent income and going back to minimum. I had a friend going to Berklee and he enjoyed the city, and now that the Big Dig is complete it has to be even better, traffic-wise at least.

I guess you just have to see it as the whole short-term pain/long-term gain type thing. The other thing you might want to think about in terms of lifestyle is that you're not going to be alone -- there are going to be many other penniless grad students out there who will all be looking for very inexpensive ways to entertain themselves and live off their meager incomes. You'll not only have a group to hang out with in a similar financial situation but you'll also probably get all the tips and tricks to successfully live the lifestyle.

In your moments of weakness (becuase its really not a cakewalk) you'll just have to think of what it's going to be like in ten years as a world-famous psychologist raking in the royalties from your dozen bestselling books and doing the $5000/night speakers circuit.

#74858 - 05/30/04 08:44 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Ashley, just got to this post of yours...anyway, I live alone and go to grad school. It's really not so bad. After dealing with school all day, it's nice to come home and be alone. As for money, sorry to be nosy, but is your stipend/salary tied to cost of living in Boston? If it's not, it should be! It will still be tight with money, but it's very do-able. I still manage to do fun things and splurge every now and then. Plus, all your friends will be poor too, so you'll find creative ways to have fun. A good way to get some extra money is to apply for research assistantships or grading jobs.

But, LauraSue gave the best advice--budget, budget, budget (easy for an accountant to say ). I'm horrible at math and always have been, but even I manage to keep track of my spending most of the time.

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3432 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4649

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review